Waldo has had a couple of bad nights

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Waldo has had a couple of bad nights

Post by Paladin »

Waldo has had a couple of bad nights. On Wednesday the 19th at 0445 hrs a mountain lion killed a Javelina within 70 yards from the house (very loud death as we sat on the porch and listened just after sunrise) Waldo got me up at 0435 and Thursday morning at 0412 a mountain lion returned and got into with something in a loud argument. You can tell when a cat is outside he won't leave the porch. In Alaska, he does great even with the Grizzlies he just lays there and does a low growl, no barking, doesn't try to sit on your lap. The Mountian Lions seem to wind him up pretty tight for a 115 pound Rhodesian Ridgeback.

P3310767.JPG
Waldo AK.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Waldo has had a couple of bad nights

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Never heard a mtn lion kill prey or scream. Did you train him to stay away from bears?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I think Waldo's DNA has been kicking in, thousands of years of hunting lions is hard to turn off!

My yellow Lab ,Dixie is the epitome of a chicken , loud noises, thunder storms she has always been a fuss pot BUT 1 whiff of bear scent and she becomes a walking prickly pear and growls like Cujo! Thankfully we don't have big cats here, I'd have to keep my 41 closer to hand!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I guess if you live in country with dangerous critters a smart dog is the best dog to own, otherwise broken hearts or vets bills for a dog that's all balls and no brains. :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

It pays to have dogs that listen to you and stay at heel till you sic them on something. Moose are tough on dogs. danny
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

3leggedturtle wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:35 pm Never heard a mtn lion kill prey or scream. Did you train him to stay away from bears?
He hasn't been trained to hunt bears, just going with me around the farm in (AK Brown bears and wolves, WV BLack bears) HE has seen both and didn't try to chase, so far even when chasing pigs and deer he stops on the whistle and returns. WIth small game, if I shoot he is impossible to hold back as normally he gets a bit when it is cooked for dinner over the fire. He has been nose to nose with moose in AK luckily the moose didn't think he was a wolf and didn't stomp him into a puddle.
The Javelina did most of the screaming for about 30 minutes, mother nature does not kill quickly. I have never heard anything like it here before this close. Last year I heard one killed about a half a mile from the house. Out of the pack of 35, they have lost a few, a year ago there was a photo taken of 4 lions (momma and three LARGE CUBs) within 300 yards of the house. We are about a mile off the blacktop in a box canyon GREAT area as long as you pay attention.
GunnyMack you are correct.
It is not the critic who counts