Internet taxing?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Internet taxing?

Post by J Miller »

Bought a sewing machine part recently and the company was in TN. They did not tax my purchase.
Then I went to buy a rifle part from Numrich in NY and they would be taxing the purchase.
I'm in IN and up to now haven't been taxed by anyone on internet purchases.
Is this something new in NY or what?

Does anyone know of sources for Win 9422 parts other than Numrich?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Internet taxing?

Post by Pitchy »

I know on Ebay i sometimes get charged tax with some States and not from others, got me if i understand.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Call Numrich and inquire about the tax, then you’ll know.
Just found this:
Any online retailer that has a physical presence or “nexus” in New York – brick-and-mortar property or in-state employees, usually – is already required to collect and remit New York state and local sales taxes. In 2008, New York set a precedent in passing what is referred to as the “Amazon law,” which amends the state’s tax code to expand the definition of “nexus” to include independent in-state websites, or affiliates, used by out-of-state retailers to promote sales. These affiliates work with out-of-state retailers to place links to the out-of-state website on their own website to then receive a commission when a buyer follows their link and makes a purchase with the out-of-state retailer.

Last June, however, a U.S. Supreme Court ruling took internet sales taxes even further. In South Dakota v. Wayfair, the Supreme Court determined that states may collect taxes on internet sales even when the purchases are made from out-of-state retailers. New York issued a notice last month that the state tax laws would now reflect the new standard set by the Supreme Court ruling. Now, businesses are responsible for collecting and remitting sales taxes for online transactions even if they don’t have an in-state presence – but only if the business has made more than $300,000 in sales of tangible personal property and 100 sales of tangible personal property delivered in the state in the past four sales tax quarters. In other words, a fledgling mom-and-pop retail website that makes only $50,000 a year in sales in New York wouldn’t be required to collect sales tax on its transactions.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Indiana, like a lot of states have recently made new rules about taxing out of state/internet purchases so we might as well get used to it. Most are written up like Indiana's also, meaning if a company does over $100,000 a year in any state, then they collect that states taxes. It does go to your state, so at least it does get the tax benefit.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states ... -sales-tax
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Harry, Leverluveer,

Thanks for the clarification.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yeah, it is annoying and inconsistent.

However, I VASTLY prefer 'consumption' taxes to income or property taxes, as long as they are INSTEAD of those taxes. (see the FairTax for what I'm talking about, which is NOT the 'value added' tax).

Also NO taxes should be collected at the federal level - the states should collect all taxes, then THEY pay the feds. That way if the feds get unreasonable, a state might be able to say "we ain't paying all that you want us to" and fare better than if an individual were to try that vs the feds. I'd be lobbying to get my state to only pay the feds for taxes going to the military and to legitimate environmental projects. No welfare, no housing, no education, no health care at the federal level - all that is at most a 'state' issue, if indeed it is even a government issue at all.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
horsesoldier2019
Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier2019 »

Try MIDWAY USA
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

AJMD429 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:40 pm Yeah, it is annoying and inconsistent.

However, I VASTLY prefer 'consumption' taxes to income or property taxes, as long as they are INSTEAD of those taxes. (see the FairTax for what I'm talking about, which is NOT the 'value added' tax).

Also NO taxes should be collected at the federal level - the states should collect all taxes, then THEY pay the feds. That way if the feds get unreasonable, a state might be able to say "we ain't paying all that you want us to" and fare better than if an individual were to try that vs the feds. I'd be lobbying to get my state to only pay the feds for taxes going to the military and to legitimate environmental projects. No welfare, no housing, no education, no health care at the federal level - all that is at most a 'state' issue, if indeed it is even a government issue at all.
AJ,
Agreed.

Joe
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

horsesoldier2019 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:30 pm Try MIDWAY USA
I checked Midway but didn't find anything but tactical AR type parts.
Maybe I didn't look right.

Joe