Finding an Optic for a Chiappa Alaskan

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Finding an Optic for a Chiappa Alaskan

Post by Scrumbag »

Hi folks,

I have been enjoying my foray into lever gun shooting.

I chose a .44 mag Chiappa Alaskan with a 20" bbl as the take down appealled, it's a clone of a JMB design, it could be shot on "Gallery" (Read pistol ranges) here in the UK and I liked the idea of shooting more iron sights. (A scout Picatinny / Weaver rail should have meant an optic could be mounted / dismounted quickly to used the irons for fun/

So, I duly purchased said rifle and and went hunting for an optic.

1st optic I tried was a Leupold VXR 1.5-5x33 Scout scope with a red dot. Looked good, appealed with illuminate reticle and mag range.

2 problems - really big so had to remove the rear peep on the scout rail and also eye relief was more "intermediate" @ ~6" so rather short to be practical

- Large

Had to remove rear peep (Red circle) - Also note the goofy ring spacing.

So, this really was not working.

Optic 2

Tried Burris Fastfire III for my Benelli Supernova Slug Gun.

So I tried it, and certainly not bad, fun shooting up close but not the greatest if you upped the range a little.

But after borrowing Koshkin’s and OT’s collective knowledge and talking to a Canadian lever gun fan buddy of mine, he mentioned he had a couple of the Leupold 2.5x28 scout scope on a 45-70 he had and liked it. I filed that little nugget away... anyway, last week I was perusing one of the main causes of my lack of savings and saw such a 2.5x Leupold scope NIB at the local auctions. I left a commission bid and happily found out I won it.

So, collected the scope and have mounted on the rifle in a pair of cheapy UTG "low" Quick Detach rings I had in the "parts bin"

Happy that I can keep the rear peep

Looks less top heavy and in mounting to lightswitch certainly comes up better.

Eye box is certainly more forgiving and easier to get a sight picture on tree at bottom of garden.

Now just have to shoot it (And maybe buy a nice leather butt cuff / cheek riser for it) but so far signs are good.

Scrummy
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Finding an Optic for a Chiappa Alaskan

Post by Pete44ru »

You have found out that there are "Scout" scopes, and then there are "Scout" scopes - that's how I found out which one was best for me (buying/trying, etc).

I hope you enjoy it more than previously. :)

Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

Pete44ru wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:08 am .

You have found out that there are "Scout" scopes, and then there are "Scout" scopes - that's how I found out which one was best for me (buying/trying, etc).

I hope you enjoy it more than previously. :)

Thanks Pete, yes, should have read the specs and played with the tape measure more!

Scrummy
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

You're welcome - remember, the only easy day was yesterday.... ;)

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Just my experience, but scopes usually are quality and price related. Vortex scopes are a little better for the price than most. Even so, the top quality higher priced scopes are better. At .44 Magnum ranges, a good middle of the road scope should do well. Vortex, Bushnell, Leupold, and Weaver should all have products which would fit your needs and be reasonably priced.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My .44 Mag Ruger Super Blackhawk has a pistol scope on it. Leupold. It is all I could want.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

Pete44ru wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:07 pm .

You're welcome - remember, the only easy day was yesterday.... ;)

With the day I'm having, I'm inclined to agree!
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

piller wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:40 pm My .44 Mag Ruger Super Blackhawk has a pistol scope on it. Leupold. It is all I could want.
Sounds good! Wish we could still have handguns over here.

Scrummy