Ruger Wrangler

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Ruger Wrangler

Post by Pitchy »

Anyone bought the new Wrangler 22 ?
I like the fixed sights on them but not real happy about the finish they offer, seen them in the latest Shooting illustrated.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ruger Wrangler

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Curious to hear how they shoot and hold up myself, Lenn. Not crazy about the finish either.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Gun Blast was tickled with them. But, fixed sights, and no mag cyl? I'll stick with the Single Six I've had forever.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Looks like they`er 200 or under, would make a good starter gun for a young person.
I have a as new Single Six with mag cyl. in the box i never shoot, don`t seem to shoot 22`s much any more.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I saw quite a few of them at The Shootists Holiday. It was the first time I have handled one. They are pretty nice. And they were heavier than I thought they would be. Felt like my Single Six. The loading gate was hard to open but these were brand new and had not been fired. John Taffin has wrung some of them out and accuracy is pretty darn good. I have seen them on sale for $169.00 and that cannot be beat. Especially with Ruger's track record of customer service.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

FROM JOHN TAFFIN

wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I was hoping to hear they were noticeably lighter then a single six & a 22 mag version would follow quickly. For me the real question is this what I want or would a shorty Bearcat be better choice as a hiking companion?

I'll probably do both. Without regrets. Because 22s & gun collections are like Irish families …… always room for one more!

Wm
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

They look good to me but I already have several single sixes. I am sure they will be a big hit and hold up well.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I fondled one last week at the lgs. The finish doesn’t bother me at all. It felt good in the hand, but the one I held left something to be desired in the trigger. I would try one but my Hawes for some reason is like an extension of my finger point, go bang, and hit what I am aiming at. Why switch?
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That Aquilla ammo showed a good grouping. I don't need another .22 at the moment, but I probably should never say that I wouldn't get one.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

piller wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:38 pm That Aquilla ammo showed a good grouping. I don't need another .22 at the moment, but I probably should never say that I wouldn't get one.
Good thinking. I don't think "need" ever entered into my gun purchases. :D
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

Jim T you sure got that right.👍😁

Busa
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks for the replies guys, when i was a kid i had a High Standard longhorn nine, loved that gun shot a lot of rats with it. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

ugly gun, rather pay more for a single six convertible in stainless.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

We all have our likes and dislikes. There are a few guns which I consider ugly that I would get a lot of stuff tossed my way if I said which ones. Why should anyone care about opinions about a gun's looks?

I do want a Single Six convertable with both cylinders and adjustable sights. I need to just get one and stop wanting.

If Ruger would come out with the Wrangler in 17HMR and adjustable sights for under $200, my money would be burning a hole in my pocket. I just recently got a Cheappa revolver in 17HMR and it is decently accurate. For an ugly and cheap gun, it is fun and accurate. If it lasts for more than 1,000 rounds, then it will last a lot longer. Cheap-pa revolvers do not have a good reputation as far as I can find. I got this one just for fun.
D. Brian Casady
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Myself i like the looks of fixed sights as they look more like a old Colt, heck i can`t hit anything anyways. :lol:
Naw fixed sights can be real accurate too.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Pitchy wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:07 pm Myself i like the looks of fixed sights as they look more like a old Colt, heck i can`t hit anything anyways. :lol:
Naw fixed sights can be real accurate too.
I have always preferred fixed sights on a sixgun. They don't get out of adjustment. They don't lose parts. Now if a person shoots a lot of different weight bullets I can understand but for me ... not necessarily for anyone else ... for me, I find a good bullet, figure out a load, and sight the gun in with that. And leave it. But that's me.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

On centerfire, that is great. On rimfire, I can't always find what is best. Even just windage adjustable is helpful on rimfire. At least, it is to me.

I may need to file my Cheap Chiappa pistol's front sight. It needs some more range time before I do that. Good groups so far, but all low and to the left.
D. Brian Casady
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Me too, when i bought my convertible they had a fixed sight one but one grip was broken so i bought the convertible.
Wish i`d bought it anyways but that`s water under the bridge.
I don`t get out much anymore and hate the modern paper work BS and have to many guns as is with my health issues.
But if i had it to do it over again but i don`t carry a pistol much on my land if we go for a walk i take one of my 45-70`s.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I don't want fixed sights on anything but a pocket gun. I just can't see any reason to handicap myself with a gun that not's shooting to my point of aim.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:34 pm Curious to hear how they shoot and hold up myself, Lenn. Not crazy about the finish either.
I'm curious as well. Ruger does have great customer service, but their quality control is the pits. I guess time will tell.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

JB wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:00 pm I don't want fixed sights on anything but a pocket gun. I just can't see any reason to handicap myself with a gun that not's shooting to my point of aim.
In the days of past if they were off ya filed the front sight or even the back sight until it shot right.
I understand the reasons people like adjustable sights there`s just something about fixed sights that is so clean and simple.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

JB wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:00 pm I don't want fixed sights on anything but a pocket gun. I just can't see any reason to handicap myself with a gun that not's shooting to my point of aim.
My new toy is my first with fixed sights. It will be my last. Clean is of no value when accuracy is just not there. Filing the sights just seems so destructive.
D. Brian Casady
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

My favorite accurate 44 mag. but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :)

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Strangely two of my three .22 handguns have adjustable sights. I never touch them, never need to.
My ancient Ruger .22 auto has fixed sights and it hits where I look, don't need adjustable sights.

As I look at the guns in Taffin's pics I noticed what looks like a hole in the side of the hammer, and a slot in the back. What are these for? Does anyone have pics of one of these pistols with the hammer back?

As for accuracy, mu old model Ruger Super Single six is the MOST INaccurate .22 revolver I've ever owned.
Someday I hope to be able to find a good LR cylinder for it. As it is now it's not even a good plinking gun.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Pitchy wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:58 am My favorite accurate 44 mag. but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :)

Pitchy,

Really nice loudenboomer you got there. I almost bought one in .45 Colt but backed out due to the dealers attitude.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks Joe, bought it brand new when the old model came out and been my number one gun ever since.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Pitchy wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:18 am
In the days of past if they were off ya filed the front sight or even the back sight until it shot right.
I understand the reasons people like adjustable sights there`s just something about fixed sights that is so clean and simple.
True. And you can bend blades, twist barrels, build up metal, etc., but I may want to switch loads more than once depending upon what I have on hand at the time or what I may be using the pistol for at any certain time.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

JB wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:53 am
Pitchy wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:18 am
True. And you can bend blades, twist barrels, build up metal, etc., but I may want to switch loads more than once depending upon what I have on hand at the time or what I may be using the pistol for at any certain time.
No argument here, different strokes for different folks. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.