CWD risk isn't going away

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

CWD risk isn't going away

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I will hunt this fall in a CWD-positive hunting unit here, and if I harvest a cow, she'll be tested before I touch a bite, you can bet. This is nothing to fool with.

https://www.boston.com/news/health/2019 ... isease-cwd
piller
Posting leader...

Re: CWD risk isn't going away

Post by piller »

I still don't accept that it is a protein that is causing it. Messed up proteins are a symptom of something causing a change in the RNA. It sounds like a virus which can infect RNA. Viruses are often capable of going into a spore form of hibernation and remaining capable of reemerging and causing infection for a long time. Not only the mold spores, but viruses found in King Tut's tomb were still viable after 3 thousand years. Viruses are capable of causing all the symptoms of Mad Cow Disease. I think that it is a bio warfare experiment gone awry.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

So you are hunting in San Francisco? New York? Is you tag for the pelosi strain or hildabeast strain? :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

CWD is at its worst in se Wyoming, 8 out of 10 deer I shot tested positive, have no idea how many elk or deer were positive
that I never had tested??? so far no ill effects, I gave up on hunting in the last 5 years its a big disappointment to work hard
and take the time to seek out a nice mature bull or buck & then have it test with CWD & then have to throw it away, well I never
did test a elk but to have to toss it in the land fill after all the time one puts in to kill a good bull, I most likely would have
quit hunting years ago

ollogger
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Not sure how it was started, but am glad it has not become a problem here in Texas.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

It's been around a long time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuru_(disease)
Cremation doesn't kill it.
I have always wondered if it is spread by the practice of scattering cremated ashes.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Dealing with CWD in Wisconsin since 2002. Been eating deer the whole time. I am not sure how bad it is for the deer population. I think the DNR allowing you to shoot as many deer as you wanted in the southern part of state affected the population more. CWD has still contuinued to spread.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Might have mentioned this before, but when my youngest brother went to work as an attorney for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in Denver, much of his job involved negotiating the terms of the destruction of infected herds on private elk ranches. This involved culling the entire herd, dumping the carcasses in a deep trench, burning them and burying them following a protocol. The ranchers then agreed not to introduce any cervids to their property for a period of five or more years. It was miserable for all involved -- as it was for British farmers who had to have their cattle destroyed during the Mad Cow crisis some years ago. Heart-wrenching.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Were the elk ranchers compensated in any way ($$$)?
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Mike, I believe their herds were purchased in return for the destruction agreement. Don't know the details.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

MICHIGAN has like wise been cursed by this plague. I don't hunt in an area where it has been reported but I get any venison I harvest tested anyway and frankly I have refrained from eating venison at some charitable wild game dinners just because I was not certain it had been properly vetted.

Wm

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/emer ... 2698_7.pdf
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Like Bill eluded to, it all started with a game "ranch" on the front range in Colorado. From there it spread all along the NE front range of CO and into SE WY primarily the Laramie range. My opinion was that it was always around but in very small percentages. It's when you bring the animals closely together the epidemic affect surfaces, such as a game "ranch". Once a high enough percentage of animals have it the range land becomes more contaminated with the prions and the problem just gets worse. I doubt it will ever be defeated. Pretty hard to kill something that isn't even alive. Just like Ollogger says, it's what killed hunting for me (along with getting too old) :(
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Leverluver wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:55 am Like Bill eluded to, it all started with a game "ranch" on the front range in Colorado. From there it spread all along the NE front range of CO and into SE WY primarily the Laramie range. My opinion was that it was always around but in very small percentages. It's when you bring the animals closely together the epidemic affect surfaces, such as a game "ranch". Once a high enough percentage of animals have it the range land becomes more contaminated with the prions and the problem just gets worse. I doubt it will ever be defeated. Pretty hard to kill something that isn't even alive. Just like Ollogger says, it's what killed hunting for me (along with getting too old) :(
Yep. Although like Piller, I find the whole prion thing so bizarre.

I can see how a protein mis-folds (in fact, it amazes me that most of the time they fold the right way), but it is astounding that one can mis-fold in such a way that it will cause OTHER copies of it to similarly mis-fold. Maybe the cellular biology people understand it better now, but I sure don't.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "