Cool and wet start on summer

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Cool and wet start on summer

Post by crs »

Nearly 5 inches rain yesterday; 3 inches before dawn and 1.75 inches in the afternoon. More forecast for coming days.
Plus a welcome 65 degrees low overnight.
For the past 18 months, this part of Texas is way above in average rainfall and way below in average temperature and it is summer!

Maybe these are some effects of the fact that solar activity is at a low compared to recent years (Solar Minimum)?
If so, we should plan for a few more decades of the same, as historically, such solar driven weather is a long time coming and a long time going.

I reckon on placing more emphasis on flood control than in the past.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Cool and wet start on summer

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Pretty normal here in the Northern Chihuahuan desert of south-central New Mexico. A cloud or two, but otherwise blue skies and 90s for the next 10 days and probably up to the Fourth of July, when the Monsoon pattern begins to arrive. That said, we have had about 2.5 inches so far this year; normal is 2 inches. I just flew up from El Paso to Des Moines for my daughter's wedding this weekend, and I was impressed by all the green I saw -- and all those full reservoirs.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Here in the NE we are looking at another wetter than average year, last year I think we had almost 180 days of rain. It sucks as far as doing outdoor activities but the water table is high and the fishing is good! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

crs wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:40 am Nearly 5 inches rain yesterday; 3 inches before dawn and 1.75 inches in the afternoon. More forecast for coming days.
Plus a welcome 65 degrees low overnight.
For the past 18 months, this part of Texas is way above in average rainfall and way below in average temperature and it is summer!

Maybe these are some effects of the fact that solar activity is at a low compared to recent years (Solar Minimum)?
If so, we should plan for a few more decades of the same, as historically, such solar driven weather is a long time coming and a long time going.

I reckon on placing more emphasis on flood control than in the past.
Two years ago we were in a 5-year drought.

Now we almost gotta wade everywhere we go.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

In my 20 years in Texas, I am getting used to the weather changing suddenly. Right now, it is as wet as I can remember. It has been wet before. Back about 2007, maybe 2006 or 2008, I remember Bardwell lake being over the spillway for a month. It is not that high now, but the ground seems more saturated. Between then and now we have had a drought or two. Long term models have failed to predict these cycles.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

I live up in the wasatch mountains of Utah, this year our winter was better than it has been for at least the last few years, nothing like the distant past, but the spring/summer has been pretty wet, we have only had a handful of days with no rain, and up until a couple of days ago it rained every day for a month, pretty good for a “high desert”

Terry
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Our stretch of dry 90s looks to be coming to a close in a week or so, with conditions in the Gulf beginning to favor our summer monsoon.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

No problem....if we just elect a Dumbascrap next time, the weather/climate will return to perfect.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Well below normal here in rainy Oregon. So far this month we've had a total of 1/4" of rain. But supposed to start raining today, and get rain the next few days.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

More dry and hot here. Have an 8,000-acre wildfire burning the northeast corner of the Capitan Wilderness, zero containment, with heavy air tanker traffic out of the Alamogordo airport. Should start seeing some Gulf of Mexico moisture in the next 48 hours.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6397
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

We have had plenty of years with much more total rainfall than we have had for the past 2.
But I have never seen it spaced out so "perfectly" like this.
It rains to the point of running off, then quits. Then as soon as it looks like it might dry up a bit, it rains again.
It usually takes a 5 or 6 inch rain to make my bar ditch run water. Now a sprinkle gets it going.
My best crop of vegetation in the yard is moss this year. May plant some cypress trees.
My new tractor I bought last October has less than 10 hours on it. It's 4X4, so I can use it if I want to, but I leave ruts everywhere I go.
It simply will not stop raining. Had 5 inches 2 days ago. Can't mow an it's too cool for MSMA to work efficiently.

My dog is growing gills.

On the bright side....the splashes in the water let me know right quick I am shooting too low.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

:lol: :lol: :lol: