Point of impact question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Low Plains Drifter
Levergunner

Point of impact question

Post by Low Plains Drifter »

Hoping someone here can give me an answer to a sight problem on a Rossi 92.
I picked up a 16 in. stainless Rossi in .45 Colt. Great gun in all respects. It had a Marble tang sight and a front sight which measures .500 (half inch) high. it was nicely accurate; but I decided I didn't want a tang sight on a short saddle gun so I replaced it with a Marble rear ramp sight that I took off a Henry 24" .22 cal lever gun which seems to be no more than a normal ramp sight.
Since I did that the POI is at least over a foot high when shooting at the X ring.
This is with the rear elevator lowered as far as it will go.
I assumed that the front sight was too tall but everything I've read says that I need a TALLER front sight!
I don't understand this. Am I missing something here? or do I need to put a flagpole as a front sight?!
Anyone have any ideas?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Point of impact question

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the fire. :D
As I understand it if you put the tip of the front sight in the notch of the rear sight then the higher the front sight the lower the muzzle will be.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

To shift impact.
Move a rear sight in the direction you desire.
With a front sight you move it the opposite direction to what you desire.

Combined with barrel taper the rear sight maybe now too high.
Slow weighty bullets also add a tiny amount of muzzle flip. It only takes a slight amount. .45 colt is such a round.
How fast is your ammo? Quicker ammo may help by leaving the muzzle sooner in the recoil phase.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

If you are a foot high at 25 yards and your sights are 12 inches apart, you will need to mathmaticly figure how many times your sight radius would fall into your shot distance, (in that case 75) then take that number and divide it into the distance you wish to lower your point of impact.(12/75-.16) So in this case you would need a sight .16 higher. You will then need to raise the front sight that much, so yes you will need a new front sight or if you don't want to do that replace the rear again. Remember your sights should be parallel to your bore and different model rifles require different sights. Thats what has kept gunsight company's going for many years.
Low Plains Drifter
Levergunner

Thanks for the info everyone. I should have paid more attention in my mathematics and geometry classes!
I believe I'm going to try one of Marble's .570 front sights.
They are only $12 and just might do the trick.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Messing with sights can become frustrating quickly. From experience, make sure everything is clamped securely before you start. I messed up the front sight on a Remington 700 once by not clamping the rest of the barrel and action. That rifle has worn a scope ever since. Back then, I didn't even know about sight pushing tools. Of course, I was young enough to just jump right into whatever trouble came along.

If you have not already done so, purchasing a sight pushing tool is my best advice. I have one and have replaced a few sights with it. Much easier than a hammer and brass punch.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I believe I'm going to try one of Marble's .570 front sights.
If you currently have a .500 and edinCT is correct with his maths, shouldn't you be ordering a .660 front sight?
I'm no expert but I believe a .660 can be shaved down, but a .570 can't be shaved up.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

EdinCT wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:25 am Remember your sights should be parallel to your bore and different model rifles require different sights.
This.

Stop screwin' around. Replace both sights and get the correct ones.

:wink: :)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

the way I've done this is to add the new sight before removing the other sight and line them up, what we call "co-witness" now days . . .
Low Plains Drifter
Levergunner

That Marble ramp sight should work with the proper front sight, I don't see why it shouldn't. Taking your advice, I will order the .660 sight and hopefully it won't need a ".shave".
Again, I assumed the .570 was the highest one made. Apparently I have a lot to learn!

If you currently have a .500 and edinCT is correct with his maths, shouldn't you be ordering a .660 front sight?
I'm no expert but I believe a .660 can be shaved down, but a .570 can't be shaved up.
If you have not already done so, purchasing a sight pushing tool is my best advice. I have one and have replaced a few sights with it. Much easier than a hammer and brass punch.
I'll probably buy one of these also considering I have 7 lever guns.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

You're right .570 is the tallest they list. Which means that if edinCT is correct, you will need to get your rear sight to go lower. The other option is to work up a different load to compensate. Is there enough metal in the rear ramp elevator on it's lowest setting so that you could file some more out of it without it snapping off?
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.