Marlin 990

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Plottman
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Marlin 990

Post by Plottman »

VERY NICE Nath, I have been looking for a semi auto or pump. Yours looks to be in great shape.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

ANOTHER UPDATE ON MY MARLIN 990

I had used the recoil spring from my Glenfield Model 60 for the big test, which worked just fine to prove that the recoil spring was the problem with my Marlin 990. So that afternoon I ordered a brand new recoil spring.

The new spring arrived in this morning's mail. It got installed into the 990 and I was off to the range.
PERFECTION !!
72 rounds of Federal ammo.
72 rounds of Remington Thunderbolt ammo.
0.0 problems !!
100% function !!

The Marlin is now ready for a few more decades of service with it's new recoil spring, hammer spring, and firing pin !!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

That's brilliant 8)
What kind of group do you get with the Remington ammo please?

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

Sorry for the late reply, I got bushwhacked by retirement.

Anyway, no "group size" report. I was just aiming in a general downrange direction and pulling the trigger for function testing. The range is indoor and there's no benchrest stuff for actual "group size" shooting. And max range is only 20 yards or so.

BUT, the good news: I just ordered a very expensive $20.78 rifle scope which I will install, and then head to the outdoor range (50% off senior discount on Tuesdays !!) for some sight-in and serious "group size" fun.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I got some new ammo to try in mine this weekend.
CCI subsonic and Norma sub sonic.
The CCI is awesome ammo and I was bouncing rocks at 100 with regularity off hand at 100yds. Very consistent and therefore predictable.
The Norma was pants! Bearing an RWS head stamp I was shocked. Extreme velocity differences rendered it useless and that's besides the cyclic failures!
IMG_20190803_193036.jpg
N.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!