Winchester 94 24" Barrel?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mossy oak
Levergunner

Winchester 94 24" Barrel?

Post by mossy oak »

Looking around the LGS this past week and found a Win 94 NRA Centennial Rifle in 30-30. I have a couple of 20" barreled 94's
but would think the 24" barrel would be a fine shooter. I've never owned a 24" barreled 94 and just wondering what kind of accuracy to get out the it? Thanks for any comments,
"That's Bold Talk For A One Eyed Fat Man" Lucky Ned Pepper
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Winchester 94 24" Barrel?

Post by Old Savage »

Sam Fadala în his book on the 30-30 said the ones without barrel bands tended to be more accurate.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

mossy oak wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:10 amLooking around the LGS this past week and found a Win 94 NRA Centennial Rifle in 30-30. I have a couple of 20" barreled 94's but would think the 24" barrel would be a fine shooter. I've never owned a 24" barreled 94 and just wondering what kind of accuracy to get out the it? Thanks for any comments,
Is this the 1894-1994 Centennial? If so, it "should" have a 26" ½-rnd/oct bbl. There were a couple of commemorative 94s w/24" bbls.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Griff wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:23 pm
mossy oak wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:10 amLooking around the LGS this past week and found a Win 94 NRA Centennial Rifle in 30-30. I have a couple of 20" barreled 94's but would think the 24" barrel would be a fine shooter. I've never owned a 24" barreled 94 and just wondering what kind of accuracy to get out the it? Thanks for any comments,
Is this the 1894-1994 Centennial? If so, it "should" have a 26" ½-rnd/oct bbl. There were a couple of commemorative 94s w/24" bbls.
As in:1971 NRA CENTENNIAL 30-30 cal. 21000 rifles / 23400 muskets mfg.
Engraved blue receiver, medallion in stock
RIFLE - 24" round barrel w/ ¾ magazine, pistol grip stock, wide forearm $545
MUSKET - 26" barrel w/ full length forearm, straight stock, long range vernier sight $545
Consecutively Serial Numbered Matched Pair – Rifle & Musket $1200 *

Basically it's a mdl 64. Drilled & tapped for tang sight (not factory), or w/a receiver sight, you can really take advantage of yje longer site radius the 24 or 26" bbls. give.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
mossy oak
Levergunner

Post by mossy oak »

Griff has it right, the rifle was manufactured if 1971. It's in real good shape, it has been hunted but I just wanted a shooter. That was what I was wanting to here Old Savage thanks all for the information. By the way I picked up this little jewel for 325 out the door.
"That's Bold Talk For A One Eyed Fat Man" Lucky Ned Pepper
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have a Canadian Centennial with ,I believe, 26” barrel. It is a very accurate rifle. It’s one of the most accurate 30-30’s I have ever fired.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

That's a very good price for a Model 94 1871-1971 NRA Centennial.

I had two different Centennials over the years, and found them to have slightly better accuracy than the carbine's - most likely to the slightly longer sighting radius.

I put Williams FP/5D receiver sights (and removed the saddle ring) on one of mine because tit better matched the rifle's finish.

Speaking of finish, FYI the receiver's were black chromed - which means being very careful using sharp-edged tools (like a screwdriver) around the receiver, upon pain of flaking off the chrome around the edges of the various hole & the tang.

One of my Centennials suddenly developed an extremely hard trigger pull one day when I was shooting it at my gun club.

When I disassembled it for diagnosis, I found that one of the crosspins in the trigger linkage had developed a dogleg in it's middle, which was binding up the trigger mechanism to a fare-thee-well.

I replaced the miscreant pin with the same size of drill bit shank, ground to length.

All's well, that ends well.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pete44ru wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:19 pmThat's a very good price for a Model 94 1871-1971 NRA Centennial.
+1!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

For me, the tapered 24" barrel with the 2/3 magazine is the best balance of accuracy and portability.
I really like the model 64 front clip, but detest the pistol grip stock. Luckily, for me, many early rifles were returned to the factory for re-barrel and had the 64 front end installed.
I have such a rifle (far left in pic) , and it is one of the best shooting Winchesters I've ever owned. My example is in 32WS.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Had a 71 Centennial model like the 64. Nice rifle, think you will like it. The pistol grip gives a more controllable feeling.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...