Hunting 2 different Texas exotic ranches

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Hunting 2 different Texas exotic ranches

Post by crs »

This is the completion of my previous post "Gone Hunting".

All,
What began as a replacement for a spring black bear hunt in Wyoming evolved into a planned four ranch exotic hunt in south Texas.
Then, participant attrition due to family plans and health issues ended up as a two exotic ranch hunt for three hunters. The first was the Jubalee Ranch located just west of Corpus Christie and the second was the AOA ranch at Hondo, Texas.
My friend JR arranged the hunts and another friend, JS, drove down with me from the Dallas area. JS is an experienced hunter of birds, deer, elk, pronghorn, and African plains game and wanted to see what exotic animals might be available right here near home. He thought maybe a bull Axis deer might be nice.

Jubalee Ranch
We arrived Friday afternoon and were met at the ranch gate by JR and the game manager, Adam Barnes. Adam was running a special to reduce the overpopulation of Axis doe and red deer hind(doe). JR and I wanted a hind and JS was window shopping and taking pictures. The ranch “lodge” was a luxury home decorated with native and African trophies; excellent accommodations. All the ranch roads are paved and the fields of coastal Bermuda grass are neatly mowed as in this photo of my hind taken Saturday morning with my .405 double rifle:

JR also took a hind with his new flint lock rifle and JS took many pictures of big game and wild turkey. He decided that this Axis would look good on his wall, but the taking of the picture spooked it away:

Look at the picture and think about how easily the animal could slip into the shade and become invisible.

Action Outdoors Adventures Ranch (AOL) - http://www.huntingexoticstexas.com/dest ... texas.html

After a mid day lunch and a two hour drive Saturday afternoon, JS and I arrived at the entrance to AOA just three miles south of Hondo where we were met by JR and an unlocked gate. I have hunted AOA with JR for 15 years and AOA is usually dry and a bit dusty this time of year, but now the grass, weeds, and mesquite forest was still very green and lush from frequent rains. It appeared that the usual 25 to 50 yard shot would be reduced to just a few yards. After quickly tossing gear into our rooms, JS and I grabbed rifles and hopped into the 4 door, 4WD ranch pickup to get in a quick hunt before dark.
Rather than the usual tour to view the many varieties of exotics, JR headed for the far southeast corner of the 1,200 acre property where “my” cow elk had been recently seen. And see it we did- or rather JR saw it standing by a dead tree about 10 yards from us. Jim and I looked all around, but never saw the elk, even when it slipped away into the green mass of mesquite. How? Look at this mess of brush just below a stock tank; JR and I creeping into the brush where we did flush out the cow elk where it became a running blur shielded by the thick brush; no chance for a shot.

Richard, the land owner, took us to supper and regaled us with hunting tales. Back at the lodge, I prepped the coffee pot for an early morning and then hit the sack. Sunday morning we had micro-waved frozen breakfast and coffee before resuming our hunt for the elk cow. Richard took JS out to locate an Axis buck and to get the tour of his exotic animal zoo. During this slowly driving of the many two track trails, we saw many exotics, including bison, Asian water buff, Watusi cattle (one had an 8 foot horn spread), red deer, white tailed deer, red sheep, kudu, black buck, feral hogs, and wild goats and sheep of many breeds and colors. They did locate an Axis to shoot, but as JS was preparing to fire, it stepped into the shady gloom and disappeared, not to be seen again.

Then Richard called JR and told him that he had t spotted the elk cow and would talk us in and back out as we came near. After a few minutes driving, we saw Richard’s white pickup and slowed to a creep as Richard backed away. Soon JR spotted the elk and pointed to about a city block of greenery. After a bit, I thought I saw the butt of the cow and slipped out of the truck and the pickup eased slowly away. You guessed it – no elk to be seen and no sound as it disappeared further into the shady brush. Back in the truck, we slowly made many more passes around the area but the elk was gone and it was noon and time to head back to Dallas.

After a good BBQ lunch in Hondo, we put more ice on my red deer and drove back home. The red deer is said to taste like elk and I will find out next week.
CRS
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Hunting 2 different Texas exotic ranches

Post by Marlin32 »

That Richard can talk and tell stories can't he?
Red deer is very similar to elk, not sure if blindfolded would know the difference.
bikerbeans
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bikerbeans »

I just finished two red deer burgers, you can't go wrong with that choice. Sadly, the inner and outer loins are gone.

BB
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

What a nice Safari - Thanks for posting about it. ………. :)

BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

Glad to hear of your success.
Sorry we could not meet up last March down Hondo way, I always enjoy talking with you. I had a good hunt too.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sounds fun. The last time I was at AOA it had just rained and broke a drought. What a muddy mess of fun.
Glad you all had fun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Congrats on a fine hunt....
Sittin' here listening to hunting music..."opening day" by Rhett Akins :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Nice hunts, Charles. Glad you were able to take some venison home.
Would love see one of those Watusis with the 8-foot horns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Thanks for the write up and pics....as always it was enjoyable. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

BlaineG wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:26 pm Thanks for the write up and pics....as always it was enjoyable. 8)
+ one.... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

A few years back, I hunted red stag within a high fence ranch in southern Ohio. I had a great time and came home with much tasty meat! My 30-30 carbine performed quite well for me and my next exotic deer will be a hunt for a fallow buck in Florida. The buck does not have to be trophy class to make me happy.

In my opinion, hunting exotic deer can be great fun!

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Tanqueray
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Tanqueray »

Nice write up, must be neat to see so many different species. That second photo looks to be a red stag rather than axis to me, unless I missed something?
More meplat, more better.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

T,
You may be right- I just posted what JS said he saw as I was not with him. It was a nice big stag that would make a good trophy mount.

BTW, I revisited this thread as I just used it to recommend AOA to some out of state hunters.

JR is guiding hunters there next week, but I will miss that hunt due to other family priorities.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Good for you Charles 8) .
Send my regards to JR.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Charles, what did you think of that Axis venison? Live up to its billing as the best there is?
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Axis best or not?

IMHO, that is in the eye (or taste buds) of the beholder (or diner).

To my family, Axis is very good(as good as blackbuck and better than fallow deer), but we prefer Elk and Red deer. Pronghorn is also near the top of the list and makes great chili.

Preparation of wild game for the table is as important as the game itself.

For instance, while staying on the ranch of a college friend,I have eaten a totally black preparation called blood stew, and loved it(I did not ask the contents).Also, the javelina/collared peccary was very good there (despite the atrocious aroma of a live one). And the Tamales served at his wedding were and still are the best that I have ever eaten.
There difference? His mom knew how to prepare the food.