Doing a bit or research and found this and thought it worth sharing ......

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Doing a bit or research and found this and thought it worth sharing ......

Post by wm »

Sixguns comment about using 200 grain soft lead flat point at 600 fps got me thinking that if I was going to add a S&W 442 to my carry arsenal then maybe I should rethink/review/retest my carry ammo conclusions. I have probably 200+ rounds of 148 grain hollow base wadcutters loaded upside under a charge of Bullseye (3.4 grains IIRC) from a batch of 2000 I made up back in 1998. I'm not sure the velocity but the expansion & penetration tests I did 20 years go was very confidence inspiring. I'm not sure if this is still better then factory offerings as I was 20 years ago, but I am confident that it will be just as damaging as it was 20 years ago.

Maybe instead of hand loaded I should find some of this Atomic ammo? Meh …… I'll put it on the lower portion of my to do list. Right below giving the dogs a bath and ahead of rotating my tires.

https://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/201 ... grain.html

Wm
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Doing a bit or research and found this and thought it worth sharing ......

Post by BrianSH »

How about using a larger drill bit in a t-handled tap wrench a making an exiting hollow point larger?
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I would opine that expansion is not the issue. quite the contrary … the concern has been over expansion with the bullet fragmenting. That and insufficient penetration when it does.

Wm
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

With all the expensive gee wiz ammo made these days I still use HBWC’s loaded upside down in my 38spl snubbies. The testing I did decades ago convinced me they expand at reasonable velocities. Penetration is sufficient and more importantly over penetration is avoided.

Just because new stuff comes along it doesn’t make old stuff any less effective.

Additionally, I don’t spend a lot of time experimenting with different loads. Once I find one that works I stick with it
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Years ago I spent the better part of a week with Tom Ferguson. Some old guys like me may remember him. He was with the San Antonio PD for years. He also was a writer for gun magazines. He had been involved in a number of shootouts. In some of them he used the old upside down HBWC in the .38 Special. It definitely worked and worked well. One incident he related to me involved a man holed up in a hotel room. Mr. Ferguson had to kick the door and go into the room after the guy. As far as I remember the felon shot and missed, Ferguson fired one shot to the midsection and that ended it. He was a believer in them.
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

Jim,
That's the first time I've heard about actual use of a reverse hbwc. Glad it worked. 8)
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I probably got the idea from one of Mr. Ferguson’s articles. But they were quite trendy at the time. I seem to recall they were also loaded commercially.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Not everything new is better. Some of the old methods still work. A HBWC seated backwards and pushed at moderate velocity has always created a lot of damage in a short time. If you must stop a living target, lots of damage and blood loss has always worked well.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost