Weekend lapstrake boating

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Weekend lapstrake boating

Post by Tycer »

Had a great time in the little 15’ White Lapstrake in Charleston. 100+ NMiles over the weekend. Did a big clockwise loop of the Stono-Atlantic Ocean-Edisto-Stono. My first time piloting in the Ocean. She was kind. About 2’ seas or so. Still a bit unnerving at first. Had to stay a ways offshore to stay out of the sharp swells. My DIL swam with dolphins while we beached across from Edisto Island. Had a good conversation with an old salt who lamented ever switching to fiberglass from lapstrake for rough water offshore. That was cool.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Re: Weekend lapstrake boating

Post by claybob86 »

That's a real classic you have there! 8) Thanks for the photos!
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

good boat. nice trip. thanks for posting
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Where in the world did you find a modern Yamaha with classic Mercury styling? I love my old outboards and wouldn't hesitate such a trip with my current daily ride, a '58 Lone Star Skipper with '58 Evinrude Lark 35 but I get why not everyone would or should.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Looks great! What a neat old classic boat!

Love the Nautical Ensign you're flying too -- even if it is "upside down" up above (are you in distress?)
(It shows up OK if you click on it...)

This word will prompt a "Huh, what?" from some others -- but tell us about your BURGEE...

The boat and day looks great.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Larkbill wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:19 am Where in the world did you find a modern Yamaha with classic Mercury styling? I love my old outboards and wouldn't hesitate such a trip with my current daily ride, a '58 Lone Star Skipper with '58 Evinrude Lark 35 but I get why not everyone would or should.
That’s Rustoleum rattle can paint, 3m vinyl auto trim and 3m Mylar tape on an ‘01 Yamaha F25 four stroke.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Very creative and beautifully done. You're obviously familiar with the look of the "toaster" Mercurys.

Post by Bill in Oregon »

What a sweet boat. Great job on the motor.
I miss being on the water. Subscribed to Woodenboat magazine for years.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Aloha Tycer, I had no idea you were a boater. When I saw lapstrake I assumed you meant a Whitehall or wherry not a power boat. I guess it's the doryman in me. What a great looking boat, and I love the camouflaged Yamaha. The fishing addict in me won't allow me to be in a boat without a fishing rod, and trolling a line 100 feet astern. After 53 years I had to sell the old streamfront family homestead 1.5 years ago, and divvy up the proceeds with my 5 siblings. My eldest sis got 50% and the other 5 got 10%. Kept my dad's old rowing dory but sold everything else since I'm landlocked now. Shame to see Dad's dory not being used, just collecting dust on side of my new home. Maybe I'll turn it into a planter box.

Back in 1963 my dad had his dream boat built in Yokohama by a brilliant Japanese boatwright. It was a 22 feet Sea Bright Skiff motorsailer I believe a William Atkins design powered by a little one banger Yanmar diesel. The hull was lapstrake Philippine mahogany above the chines but below was marine grade plywood to keep the cost down and also ease of construction and maintenance. He named her the Petrel. When he transferred to Hawai'i in 1966 he brought the Petrel with him, and he kept that boat moored in Kane'ohe Bay. He was forced into early retirement in 1974, and he wanted to try commercial fishing again like he did before the war in New England. He sold his loved Petrel to invest in a fishing boat. Commercial fishing is rough, and he barely broke even so he wound up selling the fishing boat too after a couple years. About ten years later I saw the Petrel moored in Ke'ehi Lagoon near the Honolulu Airport. It was painted a gaudy yellow with green trim, not the black hull with white decks my dad sold her with. I was tempted to ask the new owner, a hippy, if he wanted to sell her but my Dad said let it go, that's in his past now. He knew I would be overwhelmed trying to restore her to her former glory. I wonder what ever became of the Petrel. She was not there anymore 10 years later when I stated working at that harbor as maintenance superintendent.

Sorry I've been away, forced by the government to go to college at age 60 to get an engineering degree. I eat, sleep, nightmare, algebra. Even then my old brain barely passed with a "C". Any lower, and the government cuts off ALL my WC benefits. If I survive this I'll be 64 when I graduate. Who's gonna want to hire me at retirement age? Enough pissin' and moaning... :D Summer break until August!
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

A modern African Queen, very cool. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.