Rolling Block

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Rolling Block

Post by marlinman93 »

Last month at our collector's gun show I saw a #1 Rolling Block Sporting Rifle for sale for a great price. I looked at the tag and saw ".38 Long", so passed it up. I assumed it was .38 Long RF, and didn't have any interest in a wall hanger. But it was back again this month, and I took a closer look thinking it might be worth converting.
I opened the block and was surprised to see it was a CF action! Then checked the bore and even more surprised to see it had a brand new liner in it! I figured nobody would reline it to the old .38 Long groove diameter, so took a chance it was likely either .38 Special, or .357 Magnum. Looked shorter than the .357, but wasn't sure.
I made the seller an offer and the already reasonable price became a bargain price. Got it home and slugged the bore which turned out to be a .357" groove! Chambered in .38 Special! So I just need to dig up a decent tang sight, and globe front sight to see how well it shoots. I think it will be fun to stretch out the little .38 Special in a full sized Rolling Block and find out how accurate it can be at longer than normal distances!

This will be a nice addition to my little collection of Rolling Block Sporting rifles!
Last edited by marlinman93 on Mon May 27, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Rolling Block

Post by GunnyMack »

I bet that is going to be a fun rifle! I bet it has zero recoil with 38s. Hope it's a shooter.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 5:27 pm I bet that is going to be a fun rifle! I bet it has zero recoil with 38s. Hope it's a shooter.
I bet you're right! Even with heavy .38's and a little hotter velocity of around 1100 fps it wont be abusive. 6.0 grs. of Unique and a 158 gr. hard cast bullet makes a dandy load in a solid rifle like this Roller.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Nice!;very nice!
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Nice score, Vall !

I like it ! :)

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Thanks Pete!
Dug through my ammo locker, and reloading supplies tonight. I have a couple thousand .38 Spl. cases, and hundreds of 158, 148, 125 gr. cast lead bullets. I'll start with the 158 gr. as I think they're the best choice for rifle use.
I'd like to see how far I can push the distance with this gun/caliber, and see if it's possible to get decent accuracy on gongs past 300 yds.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Very nice! 8) Looking forward to hearing how she shoots!
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I have come to conclude that there is a cloud of golden-hued light that follows you around at gun shows, Vall!

:lol:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 8:18 am I have come to conclude that there is a cloud of golden-hued light that follows you around at gun shows, Vall!

:lol:
I contemplated buying this before the Denver show and taking it to Denver to resell. Glad I didn't, as I want to hang onto it now. I did buy a Whitney Phoenix from the same seller last month and it went away at Denver gun show.
The seller had a number of military Rolling Blocks that were enticing also. Two rifles in .43 Spanish at $200 and $300. A pair of carbines in 7mm and .43 Egyptian at $425 and $350. Of course I was considering all of them just as fodder for builds, but decided I'm done building up anymore Rolling Blocks. I still have one nice action here waiting to be built, so I passed on his others.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vall, I'd have been a goner for a rolling block in .43 Spanish for $200, especially if the bore was decent.
I have just one roller -- a Swede rebarrelled to .50-70 by John Taylor. Need to get it blued and finish the stock. Will likely use Snowy Mountain based on your recommendation!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

For 2 or 300 bucks I would have bought one of them just to do a build... Always liked .40-65!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 1:28 pm For 2 or 300 bucks I would have bought one of them just to do a build... Always liked .40-65!
Me too! But already built one in .40-65. And another in .40-50SS, and another in .22LR, and another in...... Just too many already, plus all the original Rolling Block Sporters in original calibers. And have another receiver all polished out and sitting here waiting for me to decide what caliber it should be barreled in? It might end up being a .32-40 or .38-55, but not decided yet.

But the prices he has are cheaper than I can usually find a good action. The $200 one would make a good choice to use the action. It was a good gun, but less than perfect bore. The $300 was too good to tear apart and use the action for me. Hate to do it, even though there were millions of them made, and they aren't worth a bunch as military rifles from foreign countries.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

38-55 would be my second choice!
Hmm, 9.3x74r might be a good one too!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Or a .40-85/90 Ballard! I use 9.3x74R brass and simply blow it out to .40 caliber and it's ready to use. No sizing, trimming, or other changes needed. A super caliber for longrange work, and extremely accurate in my original Ballard Pacific.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vall, that Ballard Pacific in that chambering is my dream rifle. I believe it was Ned Roberts who said he was "greatly pleased" when he first laid eyes on one.

8)
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Marlinmnan93, that is the most useful chambering next to a 30/30 or 45/70. I have a Contender Carbine in 38 Special and find it very useful, quiet. Your rifle has a lot of class. If you had bought those other "cheap" rolling blocks, i'm sure you could have a made a few $'s off us poor folk here on this forumn that would really like to have one. I dont ever see anything but overpriced beat up RB's priced at $500 or more. Only thing i'd want more is a .310 Martini! Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Marlinmnan93, that is the most useful chambering next to a 30/30 or 45/70. I have a Contender Carbine in 38 Special and find it very useful, quiet. Your rifle has a lot of class. If you had bought those other "cheap" rolling blocks, i'm sure you could have a made a few $'s off us poor folk here on this forumn that would really like to have one. I dont ever see anything but overpriced beat up RB's priced at $500 or more. Only thing i'd want more is a .310 Martini! Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Had computer glitch! Mods, can you delete this msg and the messages above this? Todd/3leg

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Hear you on the Martini, Todd. I have had a couple, Australia-stamped, and let them go ... :cry:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

If he didn't sell them Sunday, I'm sure they'll be back at our June show. I think he might have sold the $300 rifle in .43 as I saw someone carrying one around that looked like it might have been the same gun.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

marlinman93 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:48 am If he didn't sell them Sunday, I'm sure they'll be back at our June show. I think he might have sold the $300 rifle in .43 as I saw someone carrying one around that looked like it might have been the same gun.
That'd be great keep me in mind. Todd/3leg