Cast some 44s

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Machado
Levergunner 2.0

Cast some 44s

Post by Machado »

Weather relented, and I decided to cast a few .44 bullets.
Alloy is #2.
RCBS 250 gr.jpeg
This is a 240 gr RCBS SWC GC mold that I had the gas check indent removed. Weight now is 250 gr in this alloy. I size them to .429" and use a styrofoam gas check and find accuracy improved enough to have check indents removed from other molds. I drive this at ~1,400 FPS out of my Redhawk, ~1,500 FPS out of my 10" Contender, and 1,650 fps out of my 24" Puma. Lube is my own concoction and joins beeswax, carnaúba wax, beef tallow, fine graphite and some mineral oil. No leading at all.
RCBS 300 gr.jpeg
This is RCBS's 300 gr SWC GC mold. I am not happy with its performance, accuracy-wise. I drive this bullet at 1,250 out of my Redhawk. Will have the gas check indent removed soon.
I cast my bullets from very hot metal, to make sure every nook and cranny in the mold is properly filled.
Machado
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Cast some 44s

Post by 6pt-sika »

Nice , I have both the molds you use and have had very good results from them over the years in 44 MAG rifles , Contender and revolvers as well as 444 rifles . I prefer gas checks myself but to each his own .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Machado, sorry to hear about the sub-par performance of the RCBS 300. Wonder what the issue is.
Machado
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Machado »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 10:27 am Machado, sorry to hear about the sub-par performance of the RCBS 300. Wonder what the issue is.
Bill, I sized and lubed the RCBS 300 without a gas check. Big mess at the tail. Cleaned it off with turpentine and loaded the bullets using the styrofoam gas check. Results improved dramatically, but the process is too laborious.
I like exact 90 degrees on my bullet bases. Metal gas checks won't give me 90 degrees; rather, they will turn a radiused edge. I suspect they are the culprits.