The mysterious .35 Krag

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

The mysterious .35 Krag

Post by Bill in Oregon »

This was once apparently a popular wildcat made be reboring shot-out Krag barrels. But after doing some Googling, it still appears somewhat obscure even in our digital age. Not even CH-4D offers dies, but the .35 Rem. is .425 at the shoulder and the Krag is .419, so .35 Rem dies should work fine for neck sizing and seating.
Anyone here ever encounter this chambering? Seems potentially very useful, in between .35 Remington and .35 Winchester, power-wise.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The mysterious .35 Krag

Post by earlmck »

Right you are Bill, that should be a very useful cartridge. And with 35 Rem dies for neck sizing and bullet seating and a cut-off 30/40 die to use as a body die for the occasional times you need to use it, you wouldn't need any custom die sets. I use that strategy for a 25-222magnum wildcat I had built nearly 50 years ago, with a cut-off 222 mag die as a body die and the 250 Savage for neck sizing and bullet seating. As I shoot virtually nothing but cast bullets anymore at consequently modest pressures the body die hasn't been used in a looong time.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Hadn't thought of the cut-off body die, Earl. Great idea. Thanks, amigo!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Bill call up to the school, we had each and every chamber reamer from PO's .14 up to .600 . I'd bet there is a 35 Krag in there... Dies can be made.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I think JES Reboring does rebore to 35Krag, so maybe he has some information
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Good idea, Gunny.
Marlin, I was thinking I would have JES do this if the Krag bore doesn't clean up.
kragluver
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kragluver »

You might try contacting Lee reloading equipment. I may be mis-remembering this but I thought at one time they would make a custom die.