AR-10

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

AR-10

Post by 6pt-sika »

Think I’m gonna put together a second AR-10 in 260 REM . Bought a nice used DPMS 308 Friday . But it needs an A2 stock assembly , rifle length free float tube and think I’m gonna order another DeadShot barrel but this time in the HBar contour with a .875” gas block . I’m doing this (if I do it) to set up a Pulsar thermal imaging scope .
C52C56E4-1A7A-47DD-AF3C-A456FA09AD99.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: AR-10

Post by 6pt-sika »

The AR-10 I already have started life as a DPMS 308 with an A2 stock and I replaced the entire upper using a DeadShot 260 REM barrel . Also put in a Geiselle trigger .
7D39ABF2-7794-41F2-AEDE-F9B809F2BCE1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Sun May 26, 2019 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’m shooting the Hornady 123 SST bullet pushed with IMR4064 in the one pictured above . But for a night rifle setup I think I wanna go with a 140 grain polymer topped bullet .IE Ballistic Tip or AccuBond or SST or Interbond . Kinda think for the heavier bullet I’m going to try and go with IMR4350 since I have almost twenty pounds of the stuff . And if not perhaps IMR4831 .
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Sat May 25, 2019 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sounds like a fun project.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 11:14 pm Sounds like a fun project.
Fun perhaps , EXPENSIVE for SURE :roll:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

After I got the 260 above together I tried exactly one load . The max load for the 260 with the Hornady 123 SST as I wanted to hunt with it the day after I got it together . And after sight in this was my first three shot group at 100 yards . I doubt if I’ll be this fortunate with the next one , but then again you never know :wink:
EEC4A7B8-A05B-4A52-9F34-3AEE4FF32D1B.jpeg
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That is a good group. Even those like me who don't like Armalite style rifles will admit that they are accurate. My dislike stems from Military ideas of shooting them without lubrication.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I have an Armalite 10T, it's a factory match HB in 308. I got it in a trade. Darn accurate but do I really need it? Nope. I've been debating selling it. Heck I've been debating selling all of my ARs. Yeah they are all accurate guns but I just have any love for them. Give me walnut & steel...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 4:59 am I have an Armalite 10T, it's a factory match HB in 308. I got it in a trade. Darn accurate but do I really need it? Nope. I've been debating selling it. Heck I've been debating selling all of my ARs. Yeah they are all accurate guns but I just have any love for them. Give me walnut & steel...
I got rid of the 308 upper from the 260 above , the AR-15 in 6.8 , the AR in 450 Bushmaster and the 22 Nosler upper . Only ones left are the AR-10 260 , an AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel and whatever I do with this new to me AR-10 . I procrastinated about buying ANY of them until I thought that cow was going to win the election in 2016 then I got several .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Incidentally I used a friends AR-10 308 HB with a suppressor and thermal imaging scope last Tuesday to plunk two deer at about 22:00 . THAT’s what got me wanting to build a second one set up exclusively for thermal optics and suppressor .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I bought my 4 when odumbo got reelected. Actually I bought complete uppers and put lowers together myself.

They are great but have no soul...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

I resisted them for a long time for the same reasons as you, Gunny, and gave in for exactly the same reason.

That said they really are Legos for big kids. If you can imagine it you can build it. Trying to figure out what I want to do with my extra upper, a Colt pre-A1 with miss drilled gas block pin cuts. I love the triangular forearm but want something other than 5.56 to reload. The 6.5 Grendle appeals because I already have a Swedish Mauser.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

With our new Gov claiming he is gonna crack down on the evil assault weapons I had to dismantle one of my uppers since it no longer met legality. Thought about a 6.5 grendel, but maybe a 22lr or a 300 hamr... would like to find one of those muzzle loader uppers- forget who made them...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I am down to three, a mostly LMT in 5.56, a 308, and the 458 socom. I really really want to shoot a doe in the head with the 458. To the point I have talked to game wardens and a Judge about the legality of removing the gas tube this making a straight pull bolt gun. The division head game warden stated he “wouldn’t do it, b cause I am gonna have to take that rifle and confiscate it until I am sure it can’t be used semi auto.” He was not pleased when I said it would probably be worth it besides “ I have others, lots of others.” Still thinking about it. Silly no semi , no Sunday hunting state,
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

fordwannabe wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:37 pm I am down to three, a mostly LMT in 5.56, a 308, and the 458 socom. I really really want to shoot a doe in the head with the 458. To the point I have talked to game wardens and a Judge about the legality of removing the gas tube this making a straight pull bolt gun. The division head game warden stated he “wouldn’t do it, b cause I am gonna have to take that rifle and confiscate it until I am sure it can’t be used semi auto.” He was not pleased when I said it would probably be worth it besides “ I have others, lots of others.” Still thinking about it. Silly no semi , no Sunday hunting state,
:D Sounds like me, when I argued with a game warden that it would be more humane and just as safe if I shot a goose grazing on corn-stubble on the head with a 223, than when flying overhead, using a 12-gauge... He didn't like my idea either....bunch of sticks-in-the-mud....!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well we can't use rifles for anything except groundhogs and predator hunting- any caliber as long as bullets weigh no MORE than 100 grains. Sunday hunting is archery only and it can happen only on private property. We get a bear season in December- now that is stupid!! (New governor will probably stop this hunt )
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Converted my only AR to rimfire. That way it remains legal. So far anyway.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

jeepnik wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 3:05 pm Converted my only AR to rimfire. That way it remains legal. So far anyway.
I have an AR 22 rimfire that left the factory as such . And honestly I’d forgotten it when I started this thread . But I can’t say I have any use for the little gun other then possibly letting the grandson shoot it in a few years if he’s in this country .
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

By converting we don’t have to register as an assault rifle. Upper is in another state. When this gets overturned i can easily switch back.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Nice! I can't wait to go hunting with mine.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Did I mention I really really want to shoot a doe with my 458? I may have to use an 1886 SRC in 45/70 instead dang it.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

fordwannabe wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:14 am Did I mention I really really want to shoot a doe with my 458? I may have to use an 1886 SRC in 45/70 instead dang it.
I’ve plunked a pair with my buddies AR in 50 Beowulf and killed a fat buck with the AR 450 Bushmaster . Have another friend that owns a 458 Socom and I loaded some for , shot it on paper but never a deer . I will say I like plunking deer with the AR-15 in Grendel and the AR-10 in 260 but then I’ve had the 6.5mm habit for almost thirtyfive years . I was so hoping they’d get it worked out for the 6.5 PRC to function in an AR-10 as I’d have one of them , but as of yet that’s not been the case .