Rim fire fun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Rim fire fun

Post by octagon »

45 years ago, my Dad and I were fishing for big yellowcats on the San Saba river, and having good success. While driving around the ranch we found a giant pecan tree fallen over, and invented a shooting game.
We placed ten long rifle brass a foot apart on the tree. Shooting from the hood of the jeep, the object was to hit the brass without barking it. If you connect,you shoot again, if you miss the other man shoots. Hitting the last brass wins the game. We shot at about 10 or 12 yards. We used open sight bolt guns, and played this game for years, sometimes at greater distances using 22 mag or 223 brass. Great fun :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Rim fire fun

Post by Sixgun »

I'll agree.....the early days when we had little in the ways of guns, ammo, and cash were the best. Every venture into the woods was exciting..... and today, loaded down with lots of guns and tons of ammo, I just sit out back with a coffee like I'm doing now.-6
Model A Uzi’s
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

Also 45 or so years ago, my Uncle James (he died in 2010) and I had a similar rimfire game with his Winchester lever action model 150. He kept a giant glass jar full of loose 22LR rounds on a table next to the back door. We would each reach in an grab a handful and head out into the woods and fields out back. The first shooter had to call his shot...."see the dragonfly on that cattail over there on the other side of the pond?" Pow! If it was a hit, the shooter could keep calling shots until he missed. Then it was the other feller's turn. The smaller the target, the better. I bet we fired 10,000 rounds over the years. I miss my Uncle James. He was part Creek and was about 6'4" and could sing country songs and sound just like Hank Sr.
They played Hank Williams Sr's, " I Saw the Light" at his funeral.
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

No three words belonged together more then Rim, Fire and Fun!

Wm
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

That sounds like a great time.

we had a game at a berm north of Camelback Mountain, which was wild desert 60 years ago. we collected lucky lager cans which had a big red X that made for perfect targets. boring the X at 100 yards with a nylon 66...

also shot those cans in Black Canyon in the vicinity of DeSoto mine with Dad's 270 Weatherby mag. We laid prone on a blanket at the distance where the vertical crosshair of the fixed power scope completely blocked the can from view... boring to hole the X once the process was worked out. SUCH MUCH FUN!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Not many places for most of to go plinking anymore. Back in the day it was a lot of fun. The old family farm was a fun place as a kid.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

When I lived in prairie dog land I kept my 22s sighted in at 100 yds. Used to go hit a dog town and burn a brick shooting out to 200 at those little buggers. Didn't kill them all but it sure was fun trying to!

Nothing more fun than spending time with a 22.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!