Colt Burgess

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: Hobie, AmBraCol

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Post Reply
Message
Author
Shrapnel
Levergunner 2.0
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:21 pm

Colt Burgess

#1 Post by Shrapnel » Tue May 21, 2019 1:59 pm

I did spend almost half of what I paid for my house this past weekend in Denver at the Colorado Collector's Gun Show. If you haven't been to one of these, you are missing the best show in America. Lots of older and interesting guns without a Glock or 6.5 Creedmoor in the lot of over 1300 tables. This is a Colt Burgess that was made and shipped in 1883...

Image

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper
Posts: 11892
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:32 pm
Location: The wrong side of the pond.

Re: Colt Burgess

#2 Post by gamekeeper » Tue May 21, 2019 4:52 pm

I remember seeing one in a museum in Birmingham England as a small but firearm mad child, I have never seen one since, now I'm really green with envy... :mrgreen:
From his weapons on the open road no man should step one pace away, you don't know for certain when you're out on the road when you might have need of your spear.
Havamal ( Viking collection of common sense )

User avatar
KWK
Levergunner 3.0
Posts: 866
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:31 am
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Colt Burgess

#3 Post by KWK » Tue May 21, 2019 10:29 pm

Very nice condition--I look forward to hearing how well it works. Now you have to save up for the rare lightweight version.

User avatar
AJMD429
Posting leader...
Posts: 24984
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:03 am
Location: Hoosierland
Contact:

Re: Colt Burgess

#4 Post by AJMD429 » Tue May 21, 2019 10:36 pm

Wow....!

Beautiful firearm.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.


Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 3222
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:00 am
Location: North Coast of America-Ohio

Re: Colt Burgess

#5 Post by .45colt » Wed May 22, 2019 7:49 am

That's really Nice...Question, I looked at a used Uberti Burgess a few weeks ago and working the lever the action felt like hot butter, easily the smoothest lever I have ever worked. is the original that easy to work ?

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 5039
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:05 am
Location: Alamogordo, NM

Re: Colt Burgess

#6 Post by Bill in Oregon » Wed May 22, 2019 8:08 am

Shrapnel, did you run into our friend Marlinman at the show?
Beautiful Burgess.

User avatar
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 4046
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:40 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Colt Burgess

#7 Post by marlinman93 » Wed May 22, 2019 10:33 am

If we did run into each other, I didn't get a name.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

User avatar
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 2769
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:51 pm
Location: Sanford, FL.

Re: Colt Burgess

#8 Post by Rimfire McNutjob » Wed May 22, 2019 12:49 pm

Was the sliding gate a method of getting around the Winchester (King's) patent? Just wondering.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.

wm
Senior Levergunner
Posts: 1007
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:03 pm

Re: Colt Burgess

#9 Post by wm » Wed May 22, 2019 6:05 pm

Burgess was a very inventive gun designer …… he had lots of good ideas. His pump shotgun is one I think still could be very successful today. And the story of how it came to be adopted by New York State and Teddy Roosevelt is priceless!

Wm

P.S. https://www.forgottenweapons.com/burges ... g-shotgun/

Please note it was not only offered in 12 gauge but also 30 WCF and 45/70!


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXvmGtLYwKA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qVkwWEX5lU

User avatar
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 4046
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:40 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Colt Burgess

#10 Post by marlinman93 » Thu May 23, 2019 9:35 am

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:49 pm
Was the sliding gate a method of getting around the Winchester (King's) patent? Just wondering.
The sliding gate was a Burgess design, and is found on other makes of old Lever action rifles. The 1881 Marlin also used the Burgess sliding gate system to load. I believe the Whitney used it also, but not positive?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

Shrapnel
Levergunner 2.0
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:21 pm

Re: Colt Burgess

#11 Post by Shrapnel » Thu May 23, 2019 11:12 am

marlinman93 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:35 am
Rimfire McNutjob wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:49 pm
Was the sliding gate a method of getting around the Winchester (King's) patent? Just wondering.
The sliding gate was a Burgess design, and is found on other makes of old Lever action rifles. The 1881 Marlin also used the Burgess sliding gate system to load. I believe the Whitney used it also, but not positive?
Burgess is to guns, what Nikola Tesla is to electricity. Most people have never heard of him, but Burgess was nearly as ingenious as John Browning.

Burgess has 100's of patents and worked with Marlin, Colt, Whitney and even started his own gun company, Burgess Gun Company. Much of what Burgess designed is still in use today.

Shrapnel
Levergunner 2.0
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:21 pm

Re: Colt Burgess

#12 Post by Shrapnel » Thu May 23, 2019 11:17 am

wm wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:05 pm
Burgess was a very inventive gun designer …… he had lots of good ideas. His pump shotgun is one I think still could be very successful today. And the story of how it came to be adopted by New York State and Teddy Roosevelt is priceless!

Wm

P.S. https://www.forgottenweapons.com/burges ... g-shotgun/

Please note it was not only offered in 12 gauge but also 30 WCF and 45/70!


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXvmGtLYwKA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qVkwWEX5lU
This is that gun...

Image

Image

Image

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 2073
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:24 pm
Location: anchorage alaska

Re: Colt Burgess

#13 Post by hfcable » Thu May 23, 2019 6:12 pm

awesome firearms...just amazing , as usual.


re: the question about the Uberti Burgess.... I think it is a burgess in name only, internally it is not related to the original burgess firearms.

I have an 1878 burgess in 45/70... a really cool old gun, the first successful 45/70 lever gun...works pretty well, but its successor, the 1881 marlin works way better.
cable

Shrapnel
Levergunner 2.0
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:21 pm

Re: Colt Burgess

#14 Post by Shrapnel » Fri May 24, 2019 9:54 am

hfcable wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 6:12 pm
awesome firearms...just amazing , as usual.


re: the question about the Uberti Burgess.... I think it is a burgess in name only, internally it is not related to the original burgess firearms.

I have an 1878 burgess in 45/70... a really cool old gun, the first successful 45/70 lever gun...works pretty well, but its successor, the 1881 marlin works way better.
Here are some more Burgess guns...


Image

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 2073
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:24 pm
Location: anchorage alaska

Re: Colt Burgess

#15 Post by hfcable » Fri May 24, 2019 10:53 am

that is an astounding and outstanding collection of burgess guns.....the most I have ever seen in one place ! and in amazing condition.

what calibers are the large frame guns ?
cable

Shrapnel
Levergunner 2.0
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:21 pm

Re: Colt Burgess

#16 Post by Shrapnel » Tue May 28, 2019 9:36 pm

hfcable wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:53 am
that is an astounding and outstanding collection of burgess guns.....the most I have ever seen in one place ! and in amazing condition.

what calibers are the large frame guns ?
Actually, there is no large frame gun. They are both on the same sized action and converted for a larger cartridge. The second and third guns from the left are both 45-60s and you can see they look the same as the guns on either side of them. The other 2 are 44-40's. You can also see the loading gates are bigger on the 45-60's...

mossy oak
Levergunner
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 9:24 am
Location: Raleigh Co. WV

Re: Colt Burgess

#17 Post by mossy oak » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:50 am

Great collection, thanks for posting them for all to enjoy!
"That's Bold Talk For A One Eyed Fat Man" Lucky Ned Pepper

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 2073
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:24 pm
Location: anchorage alaska

Re: Colt Burgess

#18 Post by hfcable » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:06 pm

i see that now that you told me , never have held a 45/60 in my hands

great collection
cable

User avatar
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper
Posts: 11892
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:32 pm
Location: The wrong side of the pond.

Re: Colt Burgess

#19 Post by gamekeeper » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:24 pm

mossy oak wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:50 am
Great collection, thanks for posting them for all to enjoy!
Plus one to that, fabulous collection.... :mrgreen:
From his weapons on the open road no man should step one pace away, you don't know for certain when you're out on the road when you might have need of your spear.
Havamal ( Viking collection of common sense )

User avatar
KWK
Levergunner 3.0
Posts: 866
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:31 am
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Colt Burgess

#20 Post by KWK » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:48 pm

I only handled a Burgess/Whitney/Kennedy once. Smoooooooth action. I'd like to try one with cartridges some day.

User avatar
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 7188
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:51 am
Location: Florida

Re: Colt Burgess

#21 Post by RIHMFIRE » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:25 pm

you owe me a new keyboard! :wink:

dang those are nice!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 3574
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:57 pm
Location: Vinita, I.T.

Re: Colt Burgess

#22 Post by M. M. Wright » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:25 am

I really like those shrapnel! :mrgreen:
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS

User avatar
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 4046
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:40 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Colt Burgess

#23 Post by marlinman93 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:54 am

Looks like 4 Whitneys and 3 Marlins. A whole lot of leverguns used Burgess patented designs in the 1800's!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jhrosier and 3 guests