"Call me a coward..."

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

"Call me a coward..."

Post by Old No7 »

As follow-up to my recent posting about the German Blitz Triggerplate Drilling I am involved with, it turns out the solder didn't hold on the rifle hammer's cocking indicator pin, so I'll have to come up with another solution for that.

"Call me a coward..." if you want...

But this is how I test fired both shotgun barrels and the rifle barrel -- 2 shots each -- at the range today:
( with a 3' string on the trigger )

( Click on image to resize )
German Drilling (11) (Medium).jpg

All is well and the action & barrels held up (which all do have Nitro proofs), so now I just need to finish the mounting of the German scope I have for it, do some refinish work that's needed on the stock, and then see if I can't make the rifle's cocking pin work.

The 2 gold marks you see on the right grip are two brass woodscrews inserted where I found a large crack in the stock (one reason why this Drilling was offered so cheap; you can see the crack extending past the comb). After opening up the crack with a shim and filling it with highly viscous CA super glue, I clamped it tight overnight and then added those brass screws at two key spots. They now stand ~1/32" proud of the stock, but they'll be filed flush when I redo the stock's finish. I may also rub some vinegar or blackpowder fouling on the ends of the shiny brass to dull them up (just like what happens with the brass on BP guns) so they don't stand out so much.

Finally, after all the above work is done -- whenever that may be -- then I'll be ready to go and shoot a round of trap with the shotgun (which is choked F and IM) and put the rifle on paper, with and without the scope.

It's quite a project -- and at times I wish I knew how to swear in Deutsche!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: "Call me a coward..."

Post by gamekeeper »

I have fired a few old guns in my time and have wished that I had a string on the triggers, better safe than sorry.
It's always good to see a neglected old gun put back into shooting order, well done Darryl..... :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Love the ratchet straps! It's a lovely old gun, glad you're enjoying it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
JRD
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JRD »

Not cowardly at all- smart.

I've done the same thing myself for the inaugural shot through older guns. I wouldn't fire the first shot at all if it was sketchy, but if all looks good, fire the first shot from a sandbag rest and check the brass. If the brass looks normal, then I proceed with holding the gun.

Keep up the progress reports. I like seeing them.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

No cowardice at all, that is the smart thing to do!

What kind of solder did you use? Silver solder is the ticket. Although if there is heat treated parts involved then you will not be able to use the silver solder. Not exactly sure of what & how you need to attach but it could be possible to use JB Weld ?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:15 pm No cowardice at all, that is the smart thing to do!
Agreed. That is just being SMART!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

There is no cowardice involved in protecting your eyesight and keeping your fingers. I have seen a few examples of cowardice. Cowardice often looks like stupidity, but by those who really should know better.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost