US demo knife.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

US demo knife.

Post by gamekeeper »

I have just received from Poland a German copy of the Camillus US pocket knife, I can't get a genuine one over here so I ordered a very cheap Mil-Tec copy.
Do any of you ex military guys still have yours? What do you think of them, they seem pretty basic but useful little tools for EDC.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: US demo knife.

Post by Old Savage »

I have one, very utilitarian. Camillus used very good 1095 steel. Here is a Victorinox I just got with the aluminum handles, very similar overall. You can get it with or w/o the scissors.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I kept one for several years in a pouch on the shoulder strap of my alice pack. Opened a lot of MREs, cardboard boxes, cleaned finger nails, sun fish, opened bottles, and hundreds of other little tasks. I gave it to a foster kid that spent about two years in our church with his foster parents. They went on a couple day hikes with me and he was going to go live out of state with one set of his grandparents in rural Florida. I gave him the little knife as going away gift because he used it to clean a sun fish he caught on one of our hikes.

Seems like such a small thing in retrospect (catching and eating a sun fish on a day hike) but it was a big deal for the kid at the time. I was blessed to be part of that moment.

Thanks for posting and reminding me of that …… you made my day!

Wm
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Honestly I never liked those things. While I'm sure some found them useful for what I did a (actually eventually two) Buck Folding Hunter was more useful.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Marbles makes a copy, $7 from Smoky Mountain Knife Works

https://www.smkw.com/marbles-gi-utility-knife

It's a functional little pocket knife, at that price you won't cry if you lose it or break it.

Not built at heavy or thick as the original Camillus. Still a good working knife though.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

wecsoger wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:01 pm Marbles makes a copy, $7 from Smoky Mountain Knife Works

https://www.smkw.com/marbles-gi-utility-knife

It's a functional little pocket knife, at that price you won't cry if you lose it or break it.

Not built at heavy or thick as the original Camillus. Still a good working knife though.
I have just ordered a Marbles version as the Mil-Tec one leaves a bit to be desired, I didn't see the Marbles copy untill after I ordered the Mil-Tec from Poland, the postage cost more than the knife.... :oops: the Marbles is dearer over here (£10.95) but at least postage is local.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

From China.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

Have a look at the Ontario Knife Co website. Last time I was there, they still made them in the US.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Could not find one there.

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Yup, Marbles made in China but looking at the YouTube videos it looks a lot better than the one I have that's made in Germany. I also found that Camillus recently sold a utility knife made in China but it's no longer available. If I ever come across one made in the USA I will do a comparison review of them .
I will also search for a Ontario Knife Company copy over here, I never thought buying a cheap camping knife would get so interesting.... :lol:

I just tried to open a can of salmon with the Mil-Tec, pretty useless, I think these German copies are just for show at re enactments, I should have known better, a year ago I bought a Mil-Tec M41 field jacket it too I think was made for re enactments, flimsy thin material wouldn't keep you warm in July... :roll:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Look up Boy Scout knives.

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Old Savage wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:06 pm Look up Boy Scout knives.
h
There are several that look good quality, I have quite a few pocket knives, including a Swiss Army knife that has so many tools it is too big for EDC, the US demo knife just looked like a simple and useful tool, I still carry a single blade folder for other reasons.. :wink:
One thing I have found out is you can never find THE perfect knife, you think you have until you see something just a little bit different.....or is that just me?.... :lol:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

For the slightly larger size I prefer the Leatherman Wave due to the pliers, but it is pricey enough that if you lose it you won't be happy.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

s-l300.jpg
I have just received the Marbles US utility knife in the post and although it's made in China, I have to say I'm impressed with the quality, Marbles have obviously ensured that the QC is good and after all it was designed in the USA. For virtually no 💰 it's a darn good little camp knife ..... :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I lost my last Camillus Scout knife years ago, as I did the four or five before it. Pretty darned handy tool for a lot of things. Not the best blade for wood carving though.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

GK, agree with you completely on the pocket knife issue.

Here are a few that were on the night stand. I have good ones from China including a Spyderco.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I've gone through a mess of those knives....stopped using them after learning about the leatherman......back in the day they were dated on the blade. I kept a few.....these are still new unused.

Try finding a Marine Corp or Air Force ....I never could find a Navy.-----6

Model A Uzi’s
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

If I’d have thought my USAF version was worth a plug nickel I would have kept it. Gave it away to a Thai airedale.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Here's my7 1966 in unissued condition.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've never heard anything bad about a SAK. In fact I've seen quite a few videos where people were using them to do very complex wood carving. I know I have 3 or 4 around here and one I carry with me in a ruck to work every day. The one I carry to work is the most basic with 1 small blade, 1 large blade, a can opener, and a cap lifter. The can opener has never let me down. Good materials all the way.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I grew up and had friends who worked at Camillus Cutlery... we used to buy the US knives for $5 at the factory. I still own 8 of them and a couple of others... always have one in my uniform pants... :)
camillus police dept 001.jpg
Camillus-Logo.jpg
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

G-K are you allowed to have P38s there? I've got 6 of'em squirreled away in strategic locales. About a dozen more in the tool boxes. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

3leggedturtle wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:58 pm G-K are you allowed to have P38s there? I've got 6 of'em squirreled away in strategic locales. About a dozen more in the tool boxes. Todd/3leg
Yup, I have a couple, I prefer them to the can opener on the Marbles US utility knife.