Powder Coating question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Powder Coating question

Post by J Miller »

Has anybody powder coated aluminum gun parts, such as the Ruger grip frames? If so how has it held up?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Powder Coating question

Post by Sixgun »

Joe.......I've used the bake on paint on a 642 Smith.......OD Green....looked great......did the frame and left the cylinder and barrel stainless...then I started using it.....6-7 years later it still looks OK but every edge is chipped off......it's my daily carry gun.

Powder coating? I would not use it.....my Jeep is heavily accessorized and the parts (all quality. No cheap parts) that were painted like the Warn bumpers still look like new while the powder coated parts like the rear tire carrier flaked off and required me to paint them.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Sixgun,

Thanks for the info. Guess I wont do that then.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Back in the 90's we were doing aluminum stuff in a moly coating. Spray it on and baked in the oven. Like Six says the edges would chip off. Worked on steel,aluminum equally well. No idea how many guns we did but it was a lot.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Powder coating seems to be variable. My KargoMaster truck rack is still going strong with only the wear surface being devoid of paint and no flaking or chipping anywhere else. My DrawTite hitch is equally good. Ten years on each. I have lots of other things that aren’t faring nearly as well. I’ve had three different local companies powder coat things like railings and such, things that get minimal abuse and they all have rust and would have been as good with proper prep and paint. Perhaps preparation of the bare metal is the key. I’m pretty impressed with linear polyurethane paint over epoxy primer as of late.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com