480 Achilles ... Making Cartridges

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

480 Achilles ... Making Cartridges

Post by JimT »

I made some 480 Achilles cartridges the other day. It takes a bit of time to get them cut and cleaned up. I began by trimming them close to length with a sharp tubing cutter.

Next I trimmed them to the proper length in the case trimmer.

I deburred and chamfered them ... which is the most time consuming part of the operation. I need to buy the deburring and chamfering kit.

Then I lubed a few bullets. After they are dry I tumble them in white powdered mica to reduce the stickiness of the alox.

I will neck expand the cartridge cases, prime them and be ready to load!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 480 Achilles ... Making Cartridges

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Oh, boy! Hope there is a Youtube of you shooting these babies, Jim.

8)
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Jim what is the parent case? ( I did read the article but I forget...)
Looks like you have a good process however the labor is a bit much.
Yes some video would be cool to see!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:03 am Jim what is the parent case?
.45 Colt
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Which bullet is that? The heel is so slight with the alox on there that it's hard to tell it's heeled at all. Clearly not the hollow base bullet from that mould in the other thread.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:09 pm Which bullet is that? The heel is so slight with the alox on there that it's hard to tell it's heeled at all. Clearly not the hollow base bullet from that mould in the other thread.
It's one designed by Aaron Bittner when we were developing the gun and cartridge. 290 gr. Flat Nose Heel.

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jim, if you ever get tired of the Achilles moniker I propose the .480 Danged Hoot ...

:lol:
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Or the "480 what the heck"?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Gotcha, wasnt sure if they were cut down rifle cases.
That is a W I D E metplat for sure- lots of shock & awe for whatever critter is on the receiving end!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:33 pm Gotcha, wasnt sure if they were cut down rifle cases.
That is a W I D E metplat for sure- lots of shock & awe for whatever critter is on the receiving end!
I have only used it to take a Javelina and a Sika doe. It worked just fine.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

I think that 480 Achilles would be real good on some wild turkeys :D I've always thought a pistol killed Turkey to be a fine trophy.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

octagon wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:39 pm I think that 480 Achilles would be real good on some wild turkeys :D I've always thought a pistol killed Turkey to be a fine trophy.
Back in the 1980's I took a Turkey Hen with my .45 Colt single action Ruger.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Wow 480 this would scratch my 50 cal itch. How do I get one, who wants money?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

mickbr wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:14 pm Wow 480 this would scratch my 50 cal itch. How do I get one, who wants money?
Gary Reeder (www.reedercustomguns.com) built the originals. He has the tooling to ream the chambers and everything else. You would have to supply him a base gun to work on. And you would have to make the ammo from scratch. You can contact him about the cost.

If you haven't read it, all the basic stuff is here ... read all the articles ... http://leverguns.com/480/Default.htm
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a Super Redhawk and a model 92 in .480 Ruger. The .480 size bullet kills well and the wide flat nose bullets at modest velocities don't damage much meat. Barely more than just the hole. Just guessing from how my pistol kicks gently enough with mild loads, the .480 Achilles should be pretty easy on the hand at velocities around 700 to 900 fps. It doesn't seem to have the case capacity to push it to the point of blowing up the gun. I am sure someone somewhere will find a way to blow up the gun. There is always the one who puts a supercharger and nitrous on a 90 horsepower 4 cylinder in an economy car.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

JimT wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:00 pm
mickbr wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:14 pm Wow 480 this would scratch my 50 cal itch. How do I get one, who wants money?
Gary Reeder (www.reedercustomguns.com) built the originals. He has the tooling to ream the chambers and everything else. You would have to supply him a base gun to work on. And you would have to make the ammo from scratch. You can contact him about the cost.

If you haven't read it, all the basic stuff is here ... read all the articles ... http://leverguns.com/480/Default.htm
Sorry JimT , I though it was in a lever action. :oops: Nice cartridge though. Anyone ever put it into a lever?
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Cool photo Jim, and nice bird! I'd rather hunt turkeys than deer any old day.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

mickbr wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:04 am
JimT wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:00 pm

Sorry JimT , I though it was in a lever action. :oops: Nice cartridge though. Anyone ever put it into a lever?
There's a first time for 'most everything. Give it a shot! Find a 45 Colt Rossi and have it rebarreled to 480. That would make one sweet shooting rifle - if it'd feed the blunt cartridges well. In a sixgun it's pretty straight forward. Bore the cylinder out, screw on an appropriate barrel and you're ready to go (yes, there's a bit more to it, but not much problem) In a lever action you'd have to fiddle with it more to get it to run right probably.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

mickbr wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:04 amSorry JimT , I though it was in a lever action. :oops: Nice cartridge though. Anyone ever put it into a lever?
It would be easier to get it to feed the bullet on the left ... and it is pretty accurate ...

mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

I just realised its a heeled bullet too! I'm reading the article as we speak. So you don't think it would like the WFN as much Jim?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

mickbr wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:44 am I just realised its a heeled bullet too! I'm reading the article as we speak. So you don't think it would like the WFN as much Jim?
I really don't have any idea. In the Henry/'66/'73 type action I think you could get either bullet to feed. The Henry was a heel bullet ... but the really blunt bullet .. I am not sure. Additionally .. you can always have a mold or two made with a different meplat/nose configuration. It would be a fun project.