Browning B92

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ntpete
Levergunner

Browning B92

Post by ntpete »

Hi all,
My first post so play nice :D

I have a Browning B92 in .44 Mag with a badly pitted lever, along with pitting on the barrel. I have emailed a couple of people to try and get a replacement lever but I don't even know if they are made anymore.

The reason I want an original Browning lever is the badly pitted one has the Browning emblem on the bottom of the lever. I'd be happy if a gunsmith could build up the metal, grind it back and reblue but I don't know if Browning's metallurgy will take a mild steel weld or mig.

What I did discover however is that a Winchester 1892 lever fits perfectly, that may be old news to those more experienced with these two rifles but I was a little surprised.

So as to peoples opinion, continue to search for another lever, weld up the one I have or just stick with a 1892 Winchester lever in place of an original Browning lever?
Cheers,
Pete
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Browning B92

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the fire.... :D
I would keep looking for a Browning lever regardless of whether I replaced or repaired the lever, I'm intrigued as to how it got so pitted... :?
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

ntpete wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 5:51 am
I have a Browning B92 in .44 Mag with a badly pitted lever, along with pitting on the barrel.

I have emailed a couple of people to try and get a replacement lever but I don't even know if they are made anymore.

The reason I want an original Browning lever is the badly pitted one has the Browning emblem on the bottom of the lever

What I did discover however is that a Winchester 1892 lever fits perfectly

So as to peoples opinion, continue to search for another lever, weld up the one I have or just stick with a 1892 Winchester lever in place of an original Browning lever ?

Welcome to the insanity !

Since the chance of finding a Browning finger lever for sale are somewhere between slim and nonexistent, I would suggest an alternative ...…………..

You B-92 was made by Miroku, who still makes Model 92's, so it should be N.P. to obtain a new, high-polished lever.

You could then have a gun (not jewelery) engraver copy/inlay the Browning emblem onto the new lever, using the original lever logo as a pattern.

missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Hello and G'day to you !
Just wanted to say hello to you from the other side of the "big blue" from our down under side.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

The guys over there might be able to find a new lever, but I'd say you've got Buckleys down here, and besides, you've still got a pitted barrel, so a flash new lever won't make it a flash new gun. I'd suggest that if the lever is so bad that it needs replacing, go ahead with the Winchester 92 lever, it won't devalue the gun any more than the bloke before you already has.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

There shouldnt be any problem whatsoever welding in the lever or other parts to fill pits if you know a good welder than can do it without getting it too hot so it doesnt discolor the surrounding finish. Just be sure to use a carbon wire, not a high nickel one. High nickel wont take blue well. I had one well meaning welder do me the the favor of using high nickel wire to repair the screw slot in the end of the magazine cap that some dope had disfigured in the attempt to to turn it. He said the high nickel wire would be much stronger, apparently not hearing me when I said there was no reason to ever put a screw driver in the slot since there was a cross screw through it and the cap wasnt even threaded. Its unblue-able so far as I can tell, so the cap needs to be redone or it will continue to sit unused because it looks weird.

If done well, refinishing weld spots shouldnt be too traumatic. Ive done several. They may show with cold blue, but can be blended oretty well if the polish is matching the original direction and finish grade.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?