Hiking without a handgun.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Hiking without a handgun.....

Post by AJMD429 »

....seems like a pretty STUPID thing to do....https://www.alloutdoor.com/2019/05/16/c ... ian-trail/

I wonder if they were all four unarmed because they were really that stupid, or if it was because of the asinine 'concealed-carry' regulations they might have had to deal with.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Hiking without a handgun.....

Post by Ray »

This is common......I mean the unarmed part, not the murderous nut with the machete......

Outside of actually hunting, at least two thirds if not three quarters of the outdoor public are unarmed.

But with those stats., at least one of the four victims should have had a loaded mousegun in a pocket.

Even a little N.A.A. .22 could have changed things and saved a life.
m.A.g.a. !
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I'd have to check, but I seem to recall my BIL discovered that it was illegal to carry on the AT.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It is also illegal to murder someone with a machete. I would have some sort of protection.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jeepnik wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:09 pm I'd have to check, but I seem to recall my BIL discovered that it was illegal to carry on the AT.
Probably so.....

If so, then ALL the legislaturds who voted to make that the case should be charged as 'accessories to murder', and have THEIR right to possess a firearm anywhere, or have a bodyguard anywhere, forever forfeited. :evil:

As for me, I doubt I'll ever get the free time to hike the AT, but if I did, and the machete guy came at me, I would probably be arrested, but he'd no longer be a threat, for I would have corrected his lead deficiency.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Here you go...directly from the National Park website:
"Visitors may possess firearms within a national park unit provided they comply with federal, state, and local laws.

The role of the responsible gun owner is to know and obey the federal, state, and local laws appropriate to the park they are visiting. Below is a list of links to State Statutes on firearms. Please remember that federal law prohibits firearms in certain park facilities and buildings. These places are marked with signs at public entrances."

What follows this statement is a summary of state gun laws of 14 different states you might be hiking through.
Hope this helps.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

The trail itself is not restricted....however seversl of the states you pass through DO prevent ccw.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I got so upset with our state laws a couple weeks ago when we headed for the woods i called the sheriff to verify i can carry in the woods without a carry permit.
The way they word the laws are confusing, in one sentence they say no one can carry a firearm without a permit and in the next sentence it says anyone can carry without a permit on the lakes or woods for the purpose of target shooting or hunting.
darn if i`m going out in the woods without a firearm.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

A firearm or even bear spray would have been a key layer of protection, but our justice community needs to red-flag and prioritize cases where folks are showing acute mental illness.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

I would have had a 44 short barrel.
But did not anyone have a staff, a knife, the capacity to improvise.... did they all just role over to get wacked ?
"Attack, repeat attack" should be drilled into the mind of every American... but maybe they were "one worlders".
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

missionary5155 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:51 am I would have had a 44 short barrel.
But did not anyone have a staff, a knife, the capacity to improvise.... did they all just role over to get wacked ?
"Attack, repeat attack" should be drilled into the mind of every American... but maybe they were "one worlders".
In response all I can say is that many (most?) folks these days have been taught that they aren't capable of fighting back (remember as a kid in school you fought the bully, no so much today). They have an obligation to wait for the "authorities" and become victims.

It seems the only younger people who understand fighting back and those who have served in the military.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jeepnik wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 12:51 pm
missionary5155 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:51 am I would have had a 44 short barrel.
In response all I can say is that many (most?) folks these days have been taught that they aren't capable of fighting back (remember as a kid in school you fought the bully, no so much today). They have an obligation to wait for the "authorities" and become victims.

It seems the only younger people who understand fighting back and those who have served in the military.
It makes it far easier to understand why the Jews 'willingly' went to the ovens 80 years ago, when you see how 'docile' the general citizenry has become after sufficient indoctrination. Truly sad.

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

What a crock this Scum was able to be on the loose. No handgun with, a walking stick with a sharpened deer antler on the tip, great for policing litter. WD40 in the eyes hurts, and leaves a person blurry eyed for a few hours. Spray paint is an alternative, they have these small cute cans that are easily carried in a shirt pocket. I see it alot, no one thinks any thing is gonna happen to them. Hence they don't prepare or are even aware of their surroundings. Funny thing is, i ride thru town with a hammer in my left hand. They cant see me, but they can sure see that hammer!
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Open carry in Virginia would have been no problem. If those folks in Tennesse would have been responsible enough to press charges this could have been prevented.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

About the only place I don't carry a handgun is in Canada when driving too and from Alaska. I don't feel that bad with a Co-Pilot, a Rem 870 Marine, and an AR-10.
It is not the critic who counts
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

A responsible person is armed. Or they are relegating their life and limb to the cops, "it's safe here" or God. That's the definition of 'irresponsible'.

Play by stupid rules, win stupid prizes.

Cat
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

If a handgun is a problem, then a 94 trapper in 30-30 would work.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

A big part of the problem is the mindset of a large percentage of our population. Many people think only of themselves, and do not consider that others may not think the way they do. While we all can fall into that trap, those who choose to defend themselves from the threat of others are less likely to fall into the thinking that everyone is good and kind trap. Stay aware that there are many two legged emotionless predators among the populace.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

You should see the hassle of getting a concealed permit in Pa.....my wife's and mine both run out at the same time after five years so last month we both had to go to the sheriff"s office in the Media courthouse, plunk down $20 each, fill out an idiot form, (similar to a 4473) had our picture taken, waited two weeks or so and got a letter to come pick them up. I love Pa.

I hardly leave Pa anymore but I ignore the law if I'm going somewhere where it can be bad....which is rare.....especially in the woods....somebody famous said that its better to tried by twelve than carried by 6.

I noticed something as I've gotten older......cops don't bother me or question me anymore. Many LE have seen me in convienence stores with my 642 hanging out my back pocket and don't say nothing.---6
Model A Uzi’s