For those interested in the buisness of firearms this might be interesting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: For those interested in the buisness of firearms this might be interesting

Post by AJMD429 »

I wonder what shareholders wanted to force Ruger to make 'smart guns'.....were they just naive and idealistic investors, or were they trying to destroy Ruger from within, or were they trying to get 'smart guns' off the ground by getting Ruger to pursue the technology...?

I don't EVER want a firearm dependent on electronics for its basic function. Sights & lights, maybe, but nothing else...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

If you own a firearm that shoots only after recognizing the owner via thumbprint, bioscan, or however, then you sell the gun to another person via ffl. who pays to get the gun to recognize the new owner? Or are the guns availabe now able to identify after setting up by the current owner
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I can see it now during a home invasion robbery, "...Oh stuff I grabbed my wife's gun by mistake..." :shock:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

rossim92 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 4:30 am Or are the guns availabe now able to identify after setting up by the current owner
There is no 'smart guns'. The technology simply has not been made compatible with the constraints and conditions associated with firearms. There is not sufficient space in firearms to install the necessary hardware and the hardware is not sufficiently durable to withstand rough handling and penetrative oils.

When a large police force like LAPD or NYPD adopts a smart gun as a duty firearm and demonstrates over say 5 years its reliability then you might begin to see some interest amongst consumers.

Wm

P.S. FBI statistics show that approximately 5% of LEO killed feloniously (as opposed to killed in a car accident or having a heart attack on duty) are killed with their own firearms. If there was any one group that would benefit from smart gun technology it could be argued it is LEO.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I think this is a return to normalcy rather than an "unprecedented downturn". What we had was an unprecedented upturn during the prior presidency.

Ruger seems to be doing just fine. The people at the top have to have a decent level of business sense. Take for example, Colt. How does Colt struggle with 1911 sales and then Kimber (of rifle fame) comes along and wipes the floor with them in the 1911 department. The demand was there for quality and innovation. The demand was not there for mediocrity.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.