Red deer rut NZ (no levergun content)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tanqueray
Levergunner 1.0

Red deer rut NZ (no levergun content)

Post by Tanqueray »

Howdy all, Haven't checked in for a while.

The Red Deer rut has come to a halt here in New Zealand. I was only able to get out once for a few days, my wife is playing the lead in "The King and I" at a local theatre, and has a very rigorous rehearsal schedule, so I'm doing a lot of child minding presently.

Managed to bag a scrubby four pointer with that most American of calibers, the 30-06, in my Husqvarna 1600.

It was an exciting hunt. The stags weren't roaring readily, but would answer a roar every now and then. They were holed up, not yet that invested in the rut that they'd come charging in aggressively. This one was down across a bush-clad valley, replying to our roars but not moving. My buddy hung back roaring intermittently while I stalked in, so that I could locate him. Got within I'd estimate 30m, so close that I could only move while he was roaring to prevent any noise and detection. I was waiting for the next roar that would mask my sound so that I could go in and seal the deal, however when the next one came it was much further away - maybe 100m or more. He wasn't keen on a fight and was leaving his pad. I was able to repeat the process, and 10 minutes later with near to him again. I crept forwards to where I though he'd be, and could see a shape silhouetted by the early morning sunrise. Was it him? Looking through the scope, I could make out the red shade of his ear, as the sunlight shone through it. I couldn't see any antler, was this a hind? Then he let out an almighty roar, prickling my skin. The crosshairs found his shoulder, and a single shot put him down.

More meplat, more better.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Red deer rut NZ (no levergun content)

Post by .45colt »

Well ..............Levergun or not I have to say JOB WELL DONE.......!!! and with an old obsolete round as the '06 ...................... :lol: ... Enjoy.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

...you can't kill deer with a 103-year-old cartridge like that....!

Next time though, you gotz to use an under-lever instead of a side-lever.... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:37 pm...you can't kill deer with a 103-year-old cartridge like that....!
Next time though, you gotz to use an under-lever instead of a side-lever.... :D
+1! Congrats anyway! :D :D

On a side note... I'm coming down again for the America's Cup in 2021, and am wondering when the season opens for red deer? Have to file for my NZ passport, and learn about regs etc, where online can I find out details?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Congrats and thanks for the post and pix.

86'er, other friends and I are going for reds and hogs next weekend. With luck, I will post pix.

I plan to use my Simson .405 double and am prepared for the good natured teasing about not using my 1895 .405 which is enjoying some much deserved rest in the safe. :oops:
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Tanqueray
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Tanqueray »

Thanks all.

Griff, there’s no season here, you can hunt game year round, with the exception of a few ballot blocks. The DoC (Department of Conservation) website is a good place to start.
Otherwise feel free to message me, Carlsen Highway on here is also a Kiwi and an active hunter.
As far as species are concerned, we have:
-Red deer - all three islands
-Fallow deer - North and South Islands
-Sika deer - North Island
-Rusa deer - North Island
-Sambar deer - North Island
-Wapiti/Elk - South Island
-Whitetail deer - South and Stewart Islands
-Goats - North and South Islands
-Pigs - North and South Islands
-Moose (allegedly) - South Island
-Himalayan Tahr - South Island
-Austrian Chamois - South Island.

In terms of small game:
Bennett’s Wallaby - South Island
Dama Wallaby - North Island
European Hare - North and South Islands
Rabbits - North and South Islands
Brushtailed Possum - all three Islands.
More meplat, more better.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Impressive and good photos.
It is not the critic who counts