How many of you

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

How many of you

Post by JimT »

shoot every day?

How many shoot every week?

How many shoot every month?

How many shoot once in awhile, whenever you can, but it's not easy for you do so?

For most of my life I have been blessed to live where I could shoot any time I wanted to ... I could step out of the house and shoot off the front or back porch .. or I had a range on the property .. or I could go out my back gate and be on open range BLM land and could shoot where ever I chose. In those days I shot every day. Since moving back the US I don't shoot on the property here much, but I have a range 10 minutes away and can go every day if I wish. As I have gotten older though, I find myself going to the range on average about 6 times a month. I am not sure why I have slowed down.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Re: How many of you

Post by Bronco »

every week, couple of hours , some practice, some fun, always trying to hit what I aim at.
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

For a few years, every day when I came home, I made it a point to shoot one shot from my carry gun at one of several gongs the driveway flood lamps lit up when I pulled in, even if it was dark (there was enough visibility and totally great backstop that it was safe). I got away from that habit, but it was probably a good one, because it entailed the muscle-memory of drawing from whatever way I was carrying, and the discipline of knowing I only had one shot to score, and I tried to vary it up a bit as to shooting position, which way I'd face, how fast I'd try to make the shot, and so on. I rarely shot with my 'off' (non dominant) hand though, and should have practiced that more.

Now I shoot way less, but seldom go a week without shooting a couple shots from whatever firearm seems most 'neglected', and maybe monthly I shoot a few magazines full, and every three months I'll shoot 500 rounds or more.

I find I shoot the 22 LR's more because I don't want to deplete my 'ammo' and I am too cheap to buy more and too lazy to reload more. When I get my used-brass stock high enough, I suppose I'll have to have a Winter of Reloading.... :D

(I think I have about 5,000 44 Mag brass right now....!)
Last edited by AJMD429 on Tue May 14, 2019 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Pretty much weekly. I have a number of ranges I pass by I usually stop in and if nothing else use my carry piece and ammo.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I can shoot everyday if I so please....light stuff around the house...but I try not to on nice days when others are outside..sometimes I'll use a pair of "giant silencers" that I shoot through and as long as the velocity is below the speed of sound, nobody hears nuttin.....other times I head to the gunclub where I'm involved in three different competitive shooting disciplines....I would say that it's been a rare thing if I went more than a week for the last pushing 50 years or since I got out of school in '72.----6
Model A Uzi’s
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have been lucky that most places I have lived had some land on which I could hunt. Currently I rent a tiny house with about 45 acres, most days I take a gun for a walk around, more often than not without firing a shot but it's nice to know I can.... :)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

I can shoot every day if I wish, on my own too, which does make a big difference. Depending on my enthusiasm level for whatever rifle or loads I am working on I will shoot three or four times a week, other times when I am satisfied with everything (for a while) I may not go for a while. Then I will have another idea...or buy a new rifle....
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I used to be able to shoot several times a week, but my work schedule changed a couple years back and now I'm lucky if I have both the time and energy to get to the range once every couple of months.

My current plan is to remedy that somewhat when I go to day shift in June by going to the range once a week and doing more small game hunting. Got a Lacy Dog needs training.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

2 to 3 times a week. At least one session a week is just by myself and I do serious drill work on my self defense skills (draw and fire, shooter down, weak hand work, flashlight work, etc.). The other one or two times is with friends and its much lighter, fun shooting.

Unfortunately the group of friends the last couple years is getting thinner as our ages go up. At age of 52 I am and have long been the youngest in the group.

Wm
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

It's about to change here, for the worse. Going from 10 meters down the hall to just about 8 meters tops. We're about an hour from the range so trips out there require planning and a serious investment in fuel. Twice a month to the range is about tops most months.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Since I retired a year ago, I get to the gun club about four times per week. The range is about 10 minutes away from home so I go sometimes when I might only stay a half hour.
There are about a half dozen of us who meet often after lunch to shoot, or sometimes just to shoot the bull.

Jack
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
Down here in Peru I have a 45 minute drive to "my spot" up a mountain outside the city where there used to be an old mine but closed for 20 years.
When I am up north there normally once a week (half to all day) unless I have a special reason on another day to drive the 15 miles out to the local range.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Jared
Levergunner

Post by Jared »

Lately I have been shooting at a 15” plate with a 22 handgun quite a bit. My routine starts at 75 yards and I go back to 175 yards 10 to 12 step at a time. I can’t move back until the target is hit. There are 10 or 11 “stations” depending on how many steps I take. So far my best is 10 hits in 13 shots. I have hit from every station repeatedly on the first shot, just haven’t been able to put together a perfect run.

I do the above 3 to 4 times a week then any other shooting that I decide to do. I don’t shoot every day, but I would say something is shot on average 5 to 6 days a week lately.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jim, it's an interesting question. Back in Oregon a few years ago, I would shoot probably at least monthly. That began to decline when I moved from eastern Oregon to Salem, where one gun club had more rules than the ATF and the other was an hour away, and often so busy I just turned around and went home. Down here in NM, I have a very nice county-run range just 20 minutes away, but don't seem to have the "fire in the belly" to want to shoot all that often. Of course, now that I just had major back surgery, I am itching to get out there. I have a cow elk tag this year and want to work up loads for my Springfield in .400 Whelen, my Spencer carbine in .56-50 with BP, and heavy .45 Colt loads for the Bisley.
Speaking of the Spencer, I just learned that you can make cases from shortened Magtech 32 gauge brass shotshells and they hold a useful amount more black than the Starline .56-50 brass. If a 300-grain slug from a .45 Colt at 1100 will sail right through an elk "like so much air," according to John Linebaugh, surely a 350-grain .512 slug over a compressed load of black out of a Spencer carbine at the same velocity should do as much or more work.
:D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Jared wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:52 am Lately I have been shooting at a 15” plate with a 22 handgun quite a bit. My routine starts at 75 yards and I go back to 175 yards 10 to 12 step at a time. I can’t move back until the target is hit. There are 10 or 11 “stations” depending on how many steps I take. So far my best is 10 hits in 13 shots. I have hit from every station repeatedly on the first shot, just haven’t been able to put together a perfect run.

I do the above 3 to 4 times a week then any other shooting that I decide to do. I don’t shoot every day, but I would say something is shot on average 5 to 6 days a week lately.
Now THAT seems like a really practical exercise....! I like that.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Jared
Levergunner

Post by Jared »

[quote=AJMD429 post_id=848132 time=1557944069 user_id=313]
Now THAT seems like a really practical exercise....! I like that.
[/quote]

I came up with it back around the first of the year. I have the plate hanging in an old dead oak tree about 275 yards out the back door. I walk down to a post that is 75 yards then go back to my gate that is at 175. I consider 20 shots “par” but may have to change that. When I first started shooting the course it was tough doing it in 20 shots consistently, now 15-18 is more normal. I am using a suppressed 22/45 so if the kids walk with me there is no need for hearing protection.

I need to start a similar course of fire with a rifle.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The best range is about an hour away, and I have to plan. Never knowing my schedule more than a week in advance at work makes it difficult.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Now that the 2019 Shooting Season is in full swing and the weather is better, I shoot once or twice a week, sometime three times. I get there early and usually there is only another shooter or two on the rifle line. Often times, I have the range to myself. The only problem is the deer are not afraid of gunfire or being chased by a vehicle. Rang is a 32 mile round trip so it is convenient.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Bunch of guys that used to shoot ... like me.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JimT wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:46 pm...shoot once in awhile, whenever you can, but it's not easy for you do so?
that pretty much describes my circumstance... :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
horsesoldier2019
Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier2019 »

On the average I get to shoot about once a month and go to a range to do so. We do have property to shoot on but the range is a lot closer.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Before retiring I was our department rangemaster and pretty much got to shoot whenever I wanted. I got kind of spoiled. After retiring I didn't shoot much but now that I moved to Wyoming and live on a gun range, I can shoot whenever I want. Somedays days I do long range shooting and others I just go to the pistol bay and shoot a few different handguns. Life is good !
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I would say 0 -7 times a week, my job is winter related mostly with some sat. & sun. work but I now seldom do much
propane work until October or so,my shooting & casting will go into hi gear very soon
I do all my shooting at home so its very handy

Brad
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I qualify with my LE Agency 4 times a year...and I shot once a week in all kinds of weather... :)
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I used to shoot weekly. Now I'm lucky to get in a range session monthly. :( Work travel has just been too intense. Shooting is certainly a perishable skill. As I get older I notice it perishes faster and faster without solid practice! :shock:
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I have been pretty lucky I shoot with a LE agency at least every other month rifle, shotgun, and pistol. I shoot PCP air rifles off the back porch on KYL target arrays anytime I want with several CO2 pistols and standard Qualification targets on a set up to help break in non-shooters and problem LEOs I teach. I have had to renew my NRA Instructor certs so three-day schools a few times from last fall to April 2019 for Shotgun, Pistol, and Chief Range Safety Officer (Rifle in Oct). I even broke down and signed up for a 5 day-3 gun training at Gunsite at the end of this month. So I am getting to use plenty of ammo.
It is not the critic who counts
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

A few times a year for me, for it’s 25 miles to the nearest range, plus the time to reload. I have several other hobbies taking up my time.
goldstar225
Levergunner

Post by goldstar225 »

When I retired I had a goal of shooting once a week. The reality is that I make it about once every two weeks. My range is 30 miles away and open 5 days a week. Add in fishing, family obligations, work around the house etc... I think it's working out fine.
g5m
Levergunner

Post by g5m »

"How many shoot once in awhile, whenever you can, but it's not easy for you do so?" <-- This. Not by choice.
I thought in retirement I'd have time to do all those things I'd put off from working 50-80 hours a week. Hasn't worked out that way. Asi es la vida!
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

What??? Go out to shoot??? :lol: :lol: :lol: I wish!!!...... :( Many moons ago I use to shoot once a week but now I just dream about it. I guess it's the price to pay for owning my own business :| . I barely have a enough time to post on gun forums :|.

Mainehunter