magnums

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

magnums

Post by mickbr »

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: magnums

Post by Sixgun »

I like that...and very true......my inlaws run a professional butcher shop that processes several hundred deer a year. Every customer gets a tag to fill out on to how they want their cuts, phone number, etc.....one year, for fun we had the customers write down the gun they used and true to form, that's how it all panned out.....The .270's, '06's, mags, all blew huge holes with lots of wasted meat. If the bullet hit a large bone, the entire area would have to be thrown out.

As expected, the winners for "eating up to the hole" were the 30-30's, 32 Spl's, or any other cartridge that shoots its semi heavy to heavy bullet no more than 2200.-----6
Model A Uzi’s
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yep. It is all about

a) velocity (under mach-2), and/or
b) bullet construction (hard-cast lead, bronze, brass, or other solid chunk)

My 500 S&W with hardcast lead and my 375 Ruger (basically a 375 H&H 'Ackleyized') are "eat right up to the hole" guns, where the 'much less powerful' and 'more appropriate for deer' 6mm Rem (same as 243 Win) I have, with typical hunting bullets, DESTROYS much meat, especially if it hits bone....!
Last edited by AJMD429 on Tue May 14, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My 30-06 didn't destroy any meat on the big pig I took in Poland. Once gutted,you couldn't find a bullet hole. I was above it a little in a blind and was going to shoot it in the head. It jerked its head up as I fired, and the bullet went down its throat and out its rectum. It was a Barnes TTSX. The internals were liquified, but no meat damaged unless you like to eat the heart and lungs. The butcher was sure interested in how it was done. I don't think any other cartridge could have done better.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

We killed truckloads of deer with the .243 over 12 years in the mountains of southern Arizona. Very little meat was ever lost. Used nothing but the 95 gr. Nosler Partition bullet. Never had to shoot one twice, even out close to 300 yards. Any "bloodshot" meat where the bullet went through was soaked overnight in cold salt water which pulled all the blood out making the meat useable. Anyone who works with meat should know that. Doing that saves a lot of meat.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

That is exactly why I got rid of my .300 Win. Mag. It was way too hard on the several Blacktail deer and one Pronghorn I shot with it. I now use a 6.5 Creedmoor, which is much better suited to the task.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

I've shot deer with slow moving slugs and magnums, and as long as I used the right bullet and hit it in the right place, little meat was damaged. If I'm hunting an area where I know the deer are usually found within 200 yards, I use a 30-30 loaded with 150 Barnes TSX bullets or a 308 Winchester loaded with Federal/Remington/Winchester 150 factory loads. If I know the animal will be beyond 200 yards I use my 30/06 loaded with 150 grain Hornady Interlock bullets. If I'm new to the hunting area or have spent a ton of money traveling to it or must bring home meat, I'll use a magnum chambering with a good stout expanding bullet. I think all of the cartridges have their place, both for practical reasons and for fun.

Now that I'm getting old and can't always cross that canyon to make a good stalk to a close shot, and want to bring home good lean meat, I'm considering a 6.5 X 300 Weatherby Magnum. It will reliably take game, especially medium sized game, out to any distance I can confidently hit (400 yards), drop it in its tracks so I don't have to track, and can now be had in the less expensive Vanguard model.

I've hunted all my life, shooting game way out there and at distances measured in feet instead of yards. I've nothing to prove and little to criticize, so I have no problem with 30-30's (I own a few) or magnums. I now simply adjust to my physical condition, the area I hunt in, and the love of eating wild game smothered in onions with a few red potatoes nestled against it.
"Please don't feed the trolls. Just the user name choice should be enough to ignore this guy..."
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Selection of a wide range of cartridges and loads allows for any of a wide range of theories, advantages and limitations you like as long as the choice will get the job done.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Old Savage wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:20 pm Selection of a wide range of cartridges and loads allows for any of a wide range of theories, advantages and limitations you like as long as the choice will get the job done.
Yessir! As far as is possible, match the bullet to whatever you are shooting with it. You can't blame the gun if the person holding it has used the wrong bullet for the game they are shooting.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

One way I think about it is what velocity do I want the bullet to arrive at and that varies with game and bullet type.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

you think it be safe to use on a squirrel? :D
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

Hey, I'm a city boy. I can't track worth a rip.
I became a good shot by shooting practice. Tracking practice doesn't work that way.
Everything I've hit with my 7RM hasn't left a 30 foot circle. DRT
Saves time too. Kills 'em, skins 'em, guts 'em all in one shot! 8)

And datz wy God done givenz us belteded maganumz.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Use what you have and can shoot well, and try to match the bullet to the game. If you hit it in a vital area, you should get meat.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost