Blitz Triggerplate Drilling -- Cocking Pins Repair, Completed

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Blitz Triggerplate Drilling -- Cocking Pins Repair, Completed

Post by Old No7 »

* This post wouldn't be possible without the support I got from two members of the GCCA (the German Gun Collectors Association) as they provided me with the instructions (and the confidence) to attempt the review and repair of the Cocking Indicator Pins on my Blitz triggerplate (aka "Blitzschloss") Drilling.

Following the instructions I got, the action was easily disassembled and the triggerplate was removed.
Blitz Trigger Plate 01 (Small).jpg

Here you see the 3 cocking indicator pins secured to the top of the action using hollow screws with a small shoulder, that look to me like drilled-out percussion nipples (without the cones on top):
Blitz Cocking Pins 01 (Small).jpg

Here are the 2 shotgun pins, one was polished by me and the other is just as it came from the 75+ year old action. Don't mix them up, as they are different lengths, but I noted that both the pins and screws were marked with either 1 or 2 small lines to keep them as a set:
Blitz Cocking Pins 02 (Small).jpg

In this image, you can see that solder has been added to the left shotgun and center rifle cocking pins. These aren't "stressed parts" per se, but they will be in the Drilling when it's fired. However, I was impressed that I could take a file to the rifle's lengthened pin and shape it -- and not remove the solder. So it's on there pretty well. I can't say for sure how it will hold up or for how long the solder repairs will last, but if it fails, I'll have someone weld metal on top and shape that; but at least I'll have much better dimensions to work with after this first attempt did work -- well partially, that is....
Blitz Cocking Pins 03 (Small).jpg

I used the word "partially" above as this image shows the positioning of the rifle's cocking pin isn't where it needs to be to fully engage the rounded top of the rifle barrel's hammer; maybe 1/16" more forward would have worked out better, but I can't change that -- nor do I want to do anything to alter the top of the rifle's hammer.
Blitz Cocking Pins 04 (Small).jpg

Well, I can't simply add a larger "button" on the rifle pin as it sits in-between the two shotgun hammers; so I'm thinking that I will need to add a reversed "L" shaped leg (bottom part facing forward) to the rifle's cocking pin, made of brass and soldered onto the existing pin, which will extend ~3/32" or so more forward to better engage the rifle hammer as it's cocked. But as all the round pins can turn, then I need to make some type of a guide that won't interfere with any hammers but will prevent the forward-facing "L" from rotating out of position. Something like a "U" shaped bracket that is soldered on top of the existing screw, and the 2 legs would follow the pin down its full length to "trap" the L-shaped leg.

Hmmm... Sounds complicated, but doable... Any other ideas???

Thanks for looking.

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Old No7 on Mon May 13, 2019 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Blitz Triggerplate Drilling -- Cocking Pins Repair, Part 1

Post by Sixgun »

Well #7........my hat is off to you!....those guns are put together like a Swiss watch and it only takes a few thou. to throw everything out of whack. Those jobs ...for me...are best left to the pro.....I can take em apart and change parts on American guns and do minor fitting which have looser tolerances but those fine Euro's are best left to Gunny's.....

But.....the saying still holds true...if ya wanna learn, jump into it......with caution.----6
Model A Uzi’s
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Blitz Triggerplate Drilling -- Cocking Pins Repair, Part 1

Post by Old No7 »

Sixgun wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:49 am Well #7........my hat is off to you!....those guns are put together like a Swiss watch and it only takes a few thou. to throw everything out of whack....
Thanks 6, but as my Drilling is unmarked by the maker, I think it might have been made by an apprentice, as that hole for the rifle barrel's cocking indicator pin isn't where it should be. Everything else seems OK, but it is only marked with the wholesaler's and distributor's names -- not the maker.

I couldn't leave well enough alone... (Plus I enjoy the challenge of DIY repairs on older guns.)

After thinking some more today, I was pretty sure the solder would just not last... So...

So I carefully peened the bottom end of the left shotgun barrel's indicator pin, which lengthened it by about 0.040"; and then I also peened the button of the rifle barrel's pin (amazingly, the solder I had added held on through all of that!) and reshaped it with a file so it had more surface area to the front than before, and...

It works!!! :wink:

Here the 2 pins are when cocked: L shotgun (rear trigger) at front left, and rifle at center rear:
Blitz Cocking Pins 05 (Small).jpg

And here they are after the triggers are pulled:
Blitz Cocking Pins 06 (Small).jpg

I'm much happier with this than before I'd started, when 2 of the pins had no movement at all. Now I'll focus my energies on final fitting of the 1.5-6X Hensoldt-Wetzlar scope and get it sighted in -- the lead .32 cal bullets I'd ordered should be here later this week.

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Blitz Triggerplate Drilling -- Cocking Pins Repair, Completed

Post by Sixgun »

Well #7......it's the challenges that keep us going and the harder the challenge, the more satisfaction.......

I'm really getting mind lazy.....Anymore I get enough of a mental workout if I can drift out a front sight and pop in another. ----6
Model A Uzi’s
JRD
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JRD »

Thank you for sharing the story of your progress. I don't have ton of feedback that I can add to the thread with other than saying your project is right up my alley for interests and tinkering jobs. I would love to get a drilling like yours some day.
I have a unmarked German 16 gauge double that is a delightful bird gun. I suspect it was also an apprentice gun because there are a couple minor flaws that say it was probably someone's practice piece 100 years ago but in no way detract from the function.

Jason
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

This is a great post! I wish I could add some info Darryl. Keep these coming! :D