Bipod use....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Bipod use....

Post by AJMD429 »

I've never been able to get good groups using a bipod, yet I can get decent groups using other types of rests.

I realize that almost always when I'm using a bipod and shooting at an actual target for groups, I am at the bench so the bipod is on the wooden bench top, as opposed to the way you would use a bipod out in the field when prone and it would be on whatever soil or sod there was there.

I'm assuming that's a big factor, so I'm considering stealing one of my wife's cookie sheets (...if caught I will rationalize it because she doesn't make me enough cookies, thus turning the blame on her... :mrgreen: ), and filling it with sand and keeping that back at the range shooting bench for when I want to use a bipod.

Do you think that is worth the potential revenge (no more cookies at all)...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Bipod use....

Post by GunnyMack »

Gee Doc, I cant imagine not having cookies! Think if I were you I'd go to the dollar store and buy a cheap cookie sheet. :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

No, no, no.... NO CHEAP COOKIE SHEETS.

If you steal her cookie sheet, offer to buy her a BETTER one.

You don't want the kind of trouble a cheap replacement would buy.

:shock:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I never cared for a bipod off the bench. I much prefer standard sandbags, but have used bipods the varmint fields a great deal. I'm sure the harmonics would be different shooting off a hard bench versus the ground.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yeah. It would be fascinating to film various rests, and bipods on various surfaces, with a high-speed camera.

I'm hoping to have a way to avoid sighting in firearms I'd like to use bipods on by lying prone, because the ground at my 'shooting range' is soppy-wet most of the year; the 'range house' is elevated but everything else swampy.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’ve owned Harris Bipods for years and years . And I very rarely if ever use them . I do have a new Caldwell tripod deal I plan on trying soon .
221F2530-DF53-42A5-B627-9E640B345870.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Someone feel free to correct me if you remember better than I do but IIRC when Carlos Hathcock did his shooting in S.E. Asia he carried around sandbags to use as a rest. As was mentioned before I think sandbags cut down on harmonics. I've never had good results with bipods either.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Rusty wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 11:46 pm Someone feel free to correct me if you remember better than I do but IIRC when Carlos Hathcock did his shooting in S.E. Asia he carried around sandbags to use as a rest. As was mentioned before I think sandbags cut down on harmonics. I've never had good results with bipods either.
I don’t see how he could drag around sandbags in the field. They're kind of heavy and awkward after awhile. We always zeroed off sandbags but shot varmints off bipeds. I’ve used Harris, but hunted for years with a small tripod that I carried on my side and not permanently attached to the rifle. The rifles stayed zeroed enough to hit groundhogs at several hundred yards fairly regularly.
Last edited by JB on Mon May 13, 2019 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The only bipods I've used are of my own manufacture...
They don't work well on a bench either... :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I'd suggest you go to good will or salvation army and pick up a cookie sheet for a buck and avoid the drama, or stop by your local appliance store that handles used appliances (most do even if it is just hauling the old ones away after people buy new) and ask them for a drip pan from a stove or from underneath a refrigerator.

What might also work is getting a couple of computer mouse pads …… set them under your bipods feet and they might have enough grip to do what you need to do.

Wm

P.S. you might find this article useful, they talk about bipod use about half way through and go into some detail.

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowle ... orend.html
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Bipod shoes.....just get a pair of socks.....or preferably some leather.....fill up the tip with sand.......fabricate each one around each leg and zip tie it off. ------6
Model A Uzi’s
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Sandbags are typically placed under the action, where a bipod is out on the fore end.
Harmonics and balance point will change your POI.
If there is any flex in the fore stock a bipod will alter your POI, especially if any part of the stock touches the barrel

I have 4 different sets of 2-piece shooting sticks, from light weight bamboo up to heavy oak (similar to Griff's photo). Those I position under the action except for the heavy one that I use to support the heavy barrels of my BPCRs.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle