talk me into/outta a bighorn 500S&W

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

talk me into/outta a bighorn 500S&W

Post by mickbr »

Looking to add a bigbore lever action to my very small collection. I looked at 50-95 in ubertis and the spencer carbine but decided they are a bit hit and miss with chambers etc. So less traditional, but the 500S&W is on the radar now.

Just considering the advantages.

Its a 50cal, which smaller stuff isn't.
More magazine capacity being shorter shorter than 444, 45-70 etc(not that I think I'd need 7 rounds but just sayin)
I'm thinking subsonic trailboss loads and heavy cast would be good quieter plinking load and also kill any hog on earth.

Okay the downsides
Expensive
Unecessary
Nothing a 45-70 couldn't do as well.
I dont even own a revolver in this calibre :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: talk me into/outta a bighorn 500S&W

Post by Blaine »

:o :o Oh No. Don't. (Howz that?) :lol: :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

There are times when I think I really shouldn't, but then at my age I second guess myself and think... awe heck let's just go ahead and see what happens.

what could go wrong?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I have no personal experience with the half inch rounds but they say bigger is better :D .

I know a bighorn is owned by one of the members. Doc I believe, surely he will chime in soon.

I say get it.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I see ammo for the .50 S&W almost everywhere. .45-70 is also common. The other calibers you mentioned are almost impossible to find in a store. That model 89 in .50 is a nice looking gun, but not too nice to take hunting. As you noted, it can be loaded down for fun and up for hunting. I recommend getting one.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IMO, shooters of those better add a chin strap to their hat...…… :mrgreen:

Talk with Doc AJ (AJMD429) here - IIRC, he's had one for several years.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I love mine, though I've not shot it as much as I should, just due to not much time to shoot the past couple years.

I did take it whitetail hunting this past season though, and of course it did just fine - made a big hole but "you can eat right up to the hole" which is an advantage of the large/slow bullets versus small/fast ones.

Someday I want to try sabot loads using pea-gravel, but that's another story.... :D

It is the same size as my Marlin 1894, and with just enough more heft (about like a Marlin Guide Gun) that it is not AT ALL unpleasant to shoot. Perhaps the stock design, weight, recoil pad, or whatever makes that so, but I've yet to shoot any loads (even the hotter Buffalo Bore and Garrett ones) that was unpleasant.

If you look for "Big Horn" and "AJMD429" on the forum you'll probably find several photos and stuff.

It is the single most expensive gun I own, but is also the best made, and one of the most versatile. It would be in my "top ten" keep list.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

They are lovely rifles of heirloom quality, with a whole lot of close-range punch. Out of my pay grade, but I have a .50-70 single shot and a .56-50 Spencer, so I am pretty well covered in this area.
Played with the X-frame Smith in this chambering and it was surprisingly pleasant to shoot but so bulky that a carbine makes more sense.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I say why not? Go for it. :D . If I were to get one it will be set up like this one on Gun blast with the 22" barrel and half mag. one sweet Rifle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmjb-52L2bY
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

OK! How about a Turnbull Restoration in 50 Alaskan or 50-110, which is .510 diameter instead of .500 diameter and can push the same weight bullet at least 200 fps faster. You can also probably buy it for less money too.

Here is a Turnbull Browning 71 in 50 Alaskan. https://www.turnbullrestoration.com/gun/browning-71-2/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I liked the 0.500" bullets due to that being the same bullet (and almost identical cartridge case shape and capacity) as my 50 Beowulf.

The other thing about the BHA Model 89 is that being designed specifically around the 500 S&W cartridge, it seems very unlikely to suffer the problems one can get when you re-do a rifle in a bigger cartridge. Even the 45-70 Marlins kind of seem borderline structurally for such a large cartridge, especially when it gets loaded 'hot'. Since the 500 S&W has always[ been a high-pressure cartridge, probably fewer nasty surprises await.

Most of my guns are 'cheap/shooter' class and function over form, but the BHA-89 is beautiful as well as functional. Mine has the black nitride finish that is Glock-like impervious, but is actually on top of a stainless steel. The stock is beautiful but has some hard finish that beads water just like oiled metal does, so I'm sure I'll scratch it up eventually, but I don't fret ordinary "wear".
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

This................."The other thing about the BHA Model 89 is that being designed specifically around the 500 S&W cartridge, it seems very unlikely to suffer the problems one can get when you re-do a rifle in a bigger cartridge"....... I agree totally, If I was a lot younger I would have ordered one. :( .
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I say if you want one, buy it.
But for the price you could get 2 others, maybe 3, in .444, 45-70 and/or .44 mag.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

You fellas arent much help in me saving money :lol:
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

AJMD429 I searched your old posts thanks. Also where you answered one of my earlier threads on the 500's power levels. From what I can gather top loads should someone want to pursue them will break 4000ftlbs. its knocking on dangerous game rifle territory. I am so tight fisted with money I just wish there was some inherent economy, hierloom, or long term survival advantage to owning a 50 cal. I have been wracking my brains to find one and I am hoping I do. :D its no 357 or 223 though. I can make up shotloads for rats too I guess, use blackpowder, round ball, use trailboss at 8-9 grains which will get me small game forever. Still nothing a 45-70 or even 44-40 can't do. but sabots....hmmm...
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

.45colt wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 4:48 pm This................."The other thing about the BHA Model 89 is that being designed specifically around the 500 S&W cartridge, it seems very unlikely to suffer the problems one can get when you re-do a rifle in a bigger cartridge"....... I agree totally, If I was a lot younger I would have ordered one. :( .
If you use a Marlin, there are concerns. However, on a Winchester 71 or 1886, this concern goes away. The 92 is a scaled down version of the 1886 basically. The .50-110 case is designed for use in the 1886. The .348, 450 Alaskan and .50 Alaskan are all made from this case. Feeding problems are not a problem.
If you like the .500 diameter, then you should buy a .500 SW, I have one in a revolver. But, I use a 500 grain cast for play and generally the 535 grain Woodleigh made for the 500 Nitro express for hunting in 50 Alaskan or 50-110. The bullet is driven at the same speed as the nitro express so it performs flawlessly. Effect on game is entry, complete penetration and a golf ball sized exit.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

its impressive what the alaskan can do. I think the 535 grain woodleigh was made for the 500 jeffery though,... factory velocity was 2400fps. Same calibre as the 500 nitro of course and they can interchange bullets but 500 nitro's traditional loads were 2150fps with the 570grain and 600 grain bullet. 5700ftlbs and about 6400ftlbs for the jeffery I think. Be nice to be able to handle such blast, recoil and expense but mid range loads with a 60 grain capacity 50 cal is more realistic for me.
EG73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by EG73 »

mickbr wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:51 am its impressive what the alaskan can do. I think the 535 grain woodleigh was made for the 500 jeffery though,... factory velocity was 2400fps. Same calibre as the 500 nitro of course and they can interchange bullets but 500 nitro's traditional loads were 2150fps with the 570grain and 600 grain bullet. 5700ftlbs and about 6400ftlbs for the jeffery I think. Be nice to be able to handle such blast, recoil and expense but mid range loads with a 60 grain capacity 50 cal is more realistic for me.
Correct, except the 600gr part.

As for a BHA in .500 S&W...yes, you do want one, and should buy one. The decision now is what Barrel length do you want? :D
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Yes not sure where I got 600 from, probably because woodleigh lists it.
My first choice was actually one of the modern 1860 spencer repros in 56-50 which would also save a few dollars. Checked into the cas forums and it can be pretty hit and miss apparently. One fella reviewed 7 guns and only considered 2 as functional out of the box.
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

Looks a cool idea but what it gives you over a Marlin / Chiappa / Henry when has a loading gate in 45-70 is kinda beyond me for the money...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Scrumbag wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:41 pm Looks a cool idea but what it gives you over a Marlin / Chiappa / Henry when has a loading gate in 45-70 is kinda beyond me for the money...
I finally got to the point that I realized I had dozens (and dozens) of firearms that were all "pretty good" at what they were designed for, but few that were "the very best" at what they were designed for. My son, who actually SELLS stuff he gets that he finds out isn't "the best" and trades-up for better stuff, made me realize that he had gone through 30-40 compound bows at $500 each but since he SOLD the ones that weren't "perfect" he had enough money to put $2,000 each into a couple "perfect" ones, while I had kept keeping the "pretty good" firearms I had, and although I had a safe-full of them, I had very few that I could honestly point to and say "THAT one will do exactly what I want it to do, each and every time, even if conditions are not perfect".

So, as I 'thin the herd', I think NOTHING of selling three or four (or five) Marlins, Remingtons, Winchesters, or whatever, to get ONE really, really, really top-of-the-line firearm that I can use for my own purposes, plus know will have value to whichever kid inherits it.

Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:29 pm
Scrumbag wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:41 pm Looks a cool idea but what it gives you over a Marlin / Chiappa / Henry when has a loading gate in 45-70 is kinda beyond me for the money...
I finally got to the point that I realized I had dozens (and dozens) of firearms that were all "pretty good" at what they were designed for, but few that were "the very best" at what they were designed for. My son, who actually SELLS stuff he gets that he finds out isn't "the best" and trades-up for better stuff, made me realize that he had gone through 30-40 compound bows at $500 each but since he SOLD the ones that weren't "perfect" he had enough money to put $2,000 each into a couple "perfect" ones, while I had kept keeping the "pretty good" firearms I had, and although I had a safe-full of them, I had very few that I could honestly point to and say "THAT one will do exactly what I want it to do, each and every time, even if conditions are not perfect".

So, as I 'thin the herd', I think NOTHING of selling three or four (or five) Marlins, Remingtons, Winchesters, or whatever, to get ONE really, really, really top-of-the-line firearm that I can use for my own purposes, plus know will have value to whichever kid inherits it.
That's fair enough. Guess you just pick your spot on the diminishing returns curve. Happy shopping / shooting!