A sad day

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

A sad day

Post by jnyork »

Our little mutt, 13 years old, we rescued from the shelter when he was about 1 year old. Recently, although he was the friendliest, most loving dog you would want, he had taken to biting without warning, got me a couple of times over the space of 3 months or so. Yesterday afternoon my wife was sitting on the edge of the bed , reached down to pet him and he leaped up and bit her in the face, took 18 stitches to close up the wounds in her upper lip.
This morning we gave him a couple of pet tranquilizers which put him into a limp, sleepy state, then took him up the mountain to one of his favorite places, put him down and buried him among the aspens.
Plenty of tears between the two of us , he had been very well loved. Perhaps he's at the Rainbow Bridge now waiting for us, sure hope so. We are in our late 70's so might not be too long now.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A sad day

Post by Pitchy »

:( bummer sorry for your loss sad day indeed.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

We have a 14 year old Yorkie that is going down hill. He has had a rough life after having a bad back injury several years back. Now he falls a lot due to his front legs being arthritic and just old age. I don’t like to think of loosing him. He has been my best buddy all those years.
Sad for your loss !
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I had a bad day too Jerry.....

We had to put our 11.5 yo dog down yesterday. She started having seizures, at the beginning of April, and was put on medication to control it. She had also lost about 15% of her body weight since the beginning of the year. She was a picky eater, so we just figured she would eat when hungry.

She was happy and bouncy Saturday and went to bed like normal. Sunday morning we woke up to see her sleeping flat on the floor instead of in her bed. I had to prod her to get her outside. She came back in and didn't want food, but just laid down again. I took her for a walk a few hours later, she had the runs several times, and could not keep up with me. Normally she's pulling me along. I almost carried her home. I noticed she was having rapid shallow breathing and knew something was bad that couldn't wait.

Emergency vet heard the history, took xrays, blood work, and ultrasound. The xray showed that her heart was huge and the ultrasound confirmed a large tumor in between the outer sack and heart muscle. The cancer had probably had metastasized into her brain causing the seizures. The vet said based on how quickly she had gone down she probably had hours to go, but possibly days. It was my son's first dog so the vet said to take her home so he could say his good bye's. She drank a lot of water once we got home, but still didn't do anything other than lay flat...no tail wag, just a blank stare, and the short, shallow, rapid breathing.

About 2 hours after getting home she tried to rise up, so i helped her outside to urinate. She squated for a good 30-45 seconds and nothing came out. Renal failure. I gathered the family and we went back to the vet, she couldn't walk, so my son carried her in. They took us into a private room and the vet that treated her earlier explained everything that happened and what was going to happen. She passed in my son's arms.

Yesterday sucked.

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

It has been a bad spring for dogs all around, my sister lost 2, my neice lost one... sadness for sure. My heart goes out to you & yours. Remember the good times !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That's a sad day all right. They don't come sadder in my book of life. Very sorry, friend. Prayers for your broken heart.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It sounds like every one of the dogs mentioned above had a GREAT life though.

That is worth celebrating, even as you mourn their passing.

Just like with people.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

That's horrible. I'm so sorry for your loss and the circumstances surrounding it. You did the right, and humane thing. :(
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Sad days do not come much sadder, last week Shirley had to accompany a friend who was having her dog put down and Shirley's dog is showing his age now and probably won't be around much longer. Commiserations on your sad loss, it sure leaves a void that's hard to fill.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

sad for sure. words don't have meanings for these things. prayers for grief relief.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Sorry to hear about your heartache. I hope you can take comfort in knowing you are not alone in having to make that tough choice.

Wm
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Sorry to Hear this, never easy. I Hope that Your Wife heals Well.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

All I got is, so sorry. Been there, done that and just reading this brought back memories of bad days like those. They leave a hole where their loyalty and was. Sorry.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Always a tough thing to make that decision when it's time to put an old friend down. At least you kept it personal and did so with love.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Always a tough thing to make that decision when it's time to put an old friend down. At least you kept it personal and did so with love.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

So sorry to hear about this...
jnyork wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 5:11 pm ...He leaped up and bit her in the face, took 18 stitches to close up the wounds in her upper lip...
Ouch! So sorry to hear about that too! :shock:

Here's hoping the emotional and physical healing proceeds well; give our regards to your wife for a speedy recovery on all counts.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Sorry for being late to this.
You both just gone through the grinder over this and I hope you both recover well.
You done good by that dog and manned up to the responsibilities of the less pleasant duties of dog ownership.
God bless.
N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

You do what you have to do.

Mark
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Prayers for comfort for all, and prayers for healing for your wife jnyork.
Jnyork, I suspect that your dog had something medically wrong. You undoubtedly did him a kindness. May your wife heal well and not have any scars.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

BlaineG wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:37 am That's horrible. I'm so sorry for your loss and the circumstances surrounding it. You did the right, and humane thing. :(
+1

Difficult decisions but, yes... You did the right, and humane thing.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.