Black Powder Question...OK 2 Questions.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Black Powder Question...OK 2 Questions.

Post by Bullard4075 »

I'm in Billings,Montana.
1. I'm looking for the closest purchase of GOEX Olde Eynsford 3-F short of mail order.
2 I'm loading for an 40-65 (40-75-260 Bullard actually) and seeking opinions if 3-F is really what I
should be using, accuracy only slightly more important than velocity.
I,m talking a hunting load here using a Cast Performance 265 grain WFNGC.

Thanks for any opines.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Black Powder Question...OK 2 Questions.

Post by Ray »

Knowing nothing whatsoever about montana in general nor billings in particular........

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pr ... ctId/26169

four pounds (minimum order per haz. mat. fee) will cost you $100.89 before your n.r.a-i.l.a. add-on donation.....

so let's add $1.11 to make it $102 and that is $25.50 a bottle.
m.A.g.a. !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

There simply must be BP vendors in Montana. Call or e-mail either Shiloh Sharps or C. Sharps in Big Timber and ask. Buffalo Arms in Sand Point, ID, has it, but that's an 8-hour drive from your house, one way.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Bullard4075 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 1:34 am
I'm in Billings,Montana.

I'm looking for the closest purchase of GOEX Olde Eynsford 3-F short of mail order.

I used google-fu ( https://www.google.com ), searching for "black powder sales in montana", and found these:

Sagebrush Trading Co, in Billings is a BP dealer: https://sites.google.com/site/sagebrushbillings/home

I would give a call to the Powder Horn Trading Co, also in Billings, to find out if they stock it: http://www.powderhorntrading.com/index.html

Also, there's Western Powders in Miles City, Montana: https://www.westernpowders.com/index.ph ... on/contact

IDK if you're in Western Montana, but if you are, you might want to take a road trio to Buffalo Arms in Ponderay, Idaho which is a BP vendor:

https://www.buffaloarms.com/about/

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Contact someone in the Forsyth Gun Club.
They may have a local source.
But unless you get in on a bulk buy, it may be cheaper to mail order than drive to Miles City or farther.
Graf's has good sales from time to time.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Thanks gentlemen.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

As to the question if I should use 1 1/2F,2F,or 3F ??

If I do go the mail order route I would prefer to order the right F.
I did a Google search but must not have used the magic words.
Jeff Cooper
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

For a 265gr bullet, I would start with 51gr-55gr of FFg with a milk carton wad over the powder.

Accuracy may differ wildly from heavier bullets, depending on your rifle's rate of twist.

IMO, FFFg is pretty hot and may produce lots of fouling in that large of a cartridge - It's safe to use FFFg, but not the preferred place to start.

If you want to move your shooting out to 800-1000 yards, FFFg might help you accomplish that, but it's probably not the best powder to start with.

veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

I get my black powder at gun shows.
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

Check out Sagebrush Guns on 1st Avenue North, sorta by the Fair Grounds.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I know it isn't an answer to the actual question, but consider 'black powder alternatives' such as 5744, and SR-4759 or similar ones....
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

Bullard4075
You might wander up to the Rod and Gun Club about 9:00 tomorrow morning.
I think they host a muzzle loader shoot on the first Sunday of each month, open to the public.
OR
Yellowstone Rifle Club, third Sunday every month. Muzzle loader shoot AND black powder cartridge rifle match.
Someone at one of those may be able to help with a source and advise.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 7:55 pm I know it isn't an answer to the actual question, but consider 'black powder alternatives' such as 5744, and SR-4759 or similar ones....
I am using 5744 now but bringing it up (me and others) on this forum has led to some good nature (and not so good nature) castigation.
I thought I would go back in time - my rifle was built mid 1880's- and see what more original loadings would do for me. My Bullard 40-75-260
chambering is a Win 40-65 clone with a .412 bore and 23 inch rifling twist.
Jeff Cooper
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Unless that particular bullet is lubed with a black powder appropriate lube, you're going to have some fouling issues. If it's lubed with a petroleum based lube, your fouling will be very hard and accuracy will suffer quickly.

Yes, 2F will likely provide better accuracy with its slower push, 3F will have more velocity, and possibly, a cleaner burn. Tests with both in your gun will give you the best answer to that question. But, I'd start with 2F and see how my accuracy is, before buying any 3F.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 7:55 pmI know it isn't an answer to the actual question, but consider 'black powder alternatives' such as 5744, and SR-4759 or similar ones....
Errrrr... I'm sure he meant "substitutes" like APP, etc.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

It's real sad times in this country when you can't run to the local gun store and buy a can of black powder. It's about a 3 hour drive to the closest dealer to me, and their only open from 1pm-5pm. I bought in bulk years ago but going to run low one of these day's.
EG73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by EG73 »

Mate I love Bullard. Can you please share pics of yours?

Cheers,
Troy.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

EG73 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:31 am Mate I love Bullard. Can you please share pics of yours?

Cheers,
Troy.
I'll try first chance I get.
Jeff Cooper
EG73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by EG73 »

Thanks, appreciate it :)
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Griff wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 8:28 am Unless that particular bullet is lubed with a black powder appropriate lube, you're going to have some fouling issues. If it's lubed with a petroleum based lube, your fouling will be very hard and accuracy will suffer quickly.

Yes, 2F will likely provide better accuracy with its slower push, 3F will have more velocity, and possibly, a cleaner burn. Tests with both in your gun will give you the best answer to that question. But, I'd start with 2F and see how my accuracy is, before buying any 3F.
I was considering a (milk carton?) wad over the powder and some Crisco, does that make sense?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

David wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:57 pm
Griff wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 8:28 amUnless that particular bullet is lubed with a black powder appropriate lube, you're going to have some fouling issues. If it's lubed with a petroleum based lube, your fouling will be very hard and accuracy will suffer quickly.
I was considering a (milk carton?) wad over the powder and some Crisco, does that make sense?
Yep! That's what I use... the wax coated milk cartons. I just bought an el-cheap ½" round punch, and on a length of 2"x6" whack the punch with a 2 lb ball-peen hammer and gather up a bunch of wads... If I used a lube cookie between the card and bullet, I'd put a second wad between lube and base of the bullet... theory being that lube can stick to base of bullet and throw off it's concentric flight.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!