S&W Frame lock

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

S&W Frame lock

Post by Rusty »

If you like S&W revolvers but don't like the frame lock, this might be for you. https://www.originalprecision.com/

I have no connection to this product
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
magyars4
Levergunner 1.0

Re: S&W Frame lock

Post by magyars4 »

S&W screwed the pooch when they started with the Hillary hole in the frames...an answer to a question that was never asked ( except by lawyers) I personally won't own one.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Truth!
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Thanks Rusty.....I'm sure some will find this interesting......

Apparently Smith and Wesson still makes occasional runs of select revolvers without the safeties. Just doing a quick search I found models 442, 642, and 637 j frames newly manufactured without the safety.

Here is one example......

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore ... m/ID/64138

and.......

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore ... m/ID/64137
m.A.g.a. !
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yes, it is an option on the J-frame snubbies.

Seeing as it is just a "Block Skip" in an NC program, why can't it be an option on them all?
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

magyars4 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 12:27 pm S&W screwed the pooch when they started with the Hillary hole in the frames...an answer to a question that was never asked ( except by lawyers) I personally won't own one.
I only own 3, a retro 21, 22 and 3 inch 29 nickel. But I absolutely hate the trigger lock. I will eventually buy these, but these revolvers probably have not fired more than 500 rounds in 15 years between them. I still carry and use a 1961 manufactured 27 with 3.5 inch barrel or a 6.5 inch barreled 29 that I bought new in 1978.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

To those of us who modify firearms to fit our own needs/ideas .. or have them modified ... the placing of a lock in a firearm is no big deal. We were probably gonna do something with it (or have it done for us) anyhow.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I didn't even know which one of my Smith's had the lock. I checked and only have 1 that has the lock. I have no idea what ever happened to the key but I don't worry about it " locking up". I shot plenty of Magnum loads and never had a problem. To me it's kind of like the silly writing on my Ruger Vaquero 44 which I notice a lot more.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

I went into my 642 and removed the part that does the "locking". Can't see any difference from the outside, but when I insert the little key, the lock no longer functions.
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

^^^What guido said^^^
Plottman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Plottman »

Are the pre locks worth more ?
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

"Desirability" seems to be increased among some revolver shooters for non-locking models. Can't say how much increase in actual $$ value that translates into as I'm not in that market enough to tell. Over on the S&W forum...there are some folks who make a big deal about finding revolvers without the so-called "Hillary-hole".
I have one of them, and as mentioned above...I just opened it up and de-commissioned the locking mechanism. Might have even helped the trigger pull on my double action only mod 642.