1st Time Hand-fitting German Claw Mounts for a Scope

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

1st Time Hand-fitting German Claw Mounts for a Scope

Post by Old No7 »

Well, this is something I'd never done before...)

I got lucky in several ways by first getting a decent pre-war German (maker unknown) Drilling in 16 x 16 x 8x57JR in a gun trade with little cash outlay, and then I found a nice Hensoldt-Wetzlar 1.5-6X "Diavari" scope that had a set of claw mounts which were oversized in all the right places. I will post more information and pictures of the Drilling later after I get her out to the range.

As I said, I'd never done this job before............

So I followed my late Father's advice to "Measure twice, cut once" and I also recalled he would say "Remember kid, the metal take-off tools work a lot faster and better than the put-on tools, so work slowly and carefully..."; all great advice that has served me well over the years.

Using hand files, there was quite a lot of filing and trial fitting, and then measuring again. Any black you may see on the claws is where I used a Sharpie (a cheap but effective home gunsmithing trick) to color the claws to see where they were rubbing in the mounts. As I got the scope with claw mounts off ebay, I was lucky that the seller did take some measurements for me before I won the item, and his measurements were accurate too. There was enough "meat" on the claws to open up the spacing between them by 0.035" and also reduce the widths by about "0.025" each. The steel sure wasn't made in a 3rd-world refinery, it was very hard! But by working slowly, and chalking & cleaning the files, it worked out well and a head-mounted magnifying headset helped me see well too.

Here's an image of the rear set of claws, and you may see I also had to open up the notch that the Drilling's rear mount latched in to:
German Drilling (8) (Medium).jpg

Here's the scope fit into the front claws and being lowered down to the rear base. I may trim some of the rail in front of the front claw if that allows me to move the scope forward along the rail a little more, but we'll see:
German Drilling (9) (Medium).jpg

Here's the Drilling with the scope mounted... In this image, it does look "too far back" to this American eye -- but it isn't too bad once it's shouldered. There is ~3" of eye relief at 1.5X and maybe 2.5" at 6X. For sure, I'll be careful not to crawl up on the scope, especially when it's set at 6X, and if I can slide it forward by 1" or so -- and still have it tip into the mounts OK -- then I will do that.
German Drilling (10) (Medium).jpg

I still haven't shot this Drilling yet! But I'll post some more info once I do, and I am already dreaming about going out in the woods next fall in pursuit of partridge and venison; with 3 barrels -- I'll be ready for either or all!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1st Time Hand-fitting German Claw Mounts for a Scope

Post by Pete44ru »

WOW ! :o

You've done well, pilgrim...…… :mrgreen:

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Very Cool...... 8) 8) 8) .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Nicely done! However a smoke lamp would have been more in tune with the drilling & mount but as Clint said- Over come & Adapt. Sure hope Jack was there helping out!?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JRD
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JRD »

Well done. That's a well thought out job and must be very satisfying for you after having done the research and found the right scope and mounts.
I'd like to see more about your drilling and details about your journey into loading for it when you are ready to share.

Jason
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Amazing. Something I'm sure I lack the skills or PATIENCE to do....!

Thanks for sharing though.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Old Number 7;
The scalloped rear of the action and the side clips were typical of the Simson guns of that period. My Simson has them also. Mine also has the loaded/cocked chamber indicators, but the photo is not clear where they are.
Mine also has the Greener cross bolt - does yours?
Here is a link to the Simson history with many gun pix.

http://www.germanhuntingguns.com/archiv ... simson-co/

Enjoy!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/