#457191 ... The Continuing Saga

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

#457191 ... The Continuing Saga

Post by JimT »

I got several hundred cast yesterday. Checking the hardness after 24 hours I found they are right at 15 BHN.

Since these are basically a .458" diameter bullet I size them to .452" for use in the sixgun. I do this in several steps using the Lee push through sizing dies. I begin with a .457" die and end up with the .452". The bullets are pushed through nose first to avoid distorting the nose.

Finished sizing to .452"

The bullets are then run through the RCBS lubrisizer to lube them. I use a .452" die in the lubrisizer.

Finished and ready to load

I crimp into the top grease groove. This give more space in the boiler room and most importantly, keeps them from fitting a Colt or Colt size cylinder. I had my handloads pressure tested at Hodgdon's ... thanks to John Linebaugh .. and they averaged 29,400 CUP.

Now I have several hundred to load!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: #457191 ... The Continuing Saga

Post by Blaine »

They look...formidable. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

They are intended for the standard Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt ... that's why pressures are kept down. Velocity average for my loads when we did the testing was 1188 fps. They are excellent long range loads and exhibit quite a bit of punch at 400 + yards. Not a 454 by any means and not intended to be. But plenty good for what I have done with them.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Jim,
Have you ever tried them in a rifle? I'd love to try some from my Marlin 1894 Cowboy. I've used the BB TC cast bullet over a charge pf 296 before, bit those bullets look 100% better.

Do you know any sources of them already cast?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

J Miller wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:37 pm Jim,
Have you ever tried them in a rifle? I'd love to try some from my Marlin 1894 Cowboy. I've used the BB TC cast bullet over a charge pf 296 before, bit those bullets look 100% better.

Joe
Joe .. no I never tried them in a rifle. And I have not kept up on bullet sources. Sorry. Someone on here should know who makes things like this though.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

J Miller wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:37 pm Jim,

Joe
Here is the good news.....

http://westernbullet.com/ly4gr7.html

The bad news is a less than one out of five b.b.b. rating and horrible reviews re. delivery and customer service on the various gun boards/forums.

And this......

https://www.montanabulletworks.com/prod ... 2gr-fn-bb/

with much better reviews......
m.A.g.a. !
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Ray,
Thanks for the links. I bookmarked them.
It's been a long time since I priced cast bullets; those prices went from :shock: to :o .

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

JimT I'd sure like to hear you elaborate a bit on the 400 yard shooting.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

J Miller wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:11 am Ray,
It's been a long time since I priced cast bullets; those prices went from :shock: to :o .

Joe
Yeah, they sure are proud of them......you'd think by the prices that bullet casting is a hot and toxic and time consuming endeavor :wink:

but if you don't need a .45-70 bullet swaged down to colt size you can save some shekels and order these.....

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pr ... ctId/10688
m.A.g.a. !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jim, those are just beautiful boolits, and they surely must be more than capable of doing anything asked of them in North America.
Was this the bullet Keith was loading over black that blew the loading gate off a Colt SAA and cut his finger? I don't have a copy of "Sixguns" anymore ...
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Ray wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:25 am
J Miller wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:11 am Ray,

Joe
Yeah, they sure are proud of them......you'd think by the prices that bullet casting is a hot and toxic and time consuming endeavor :wink:

but if you don't need a .45-70 bullet swaged down to colt size you can save some shekels and order these.....

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pr ... ctId/10688
Ray,
Yeah, those are are a bit more affordable. They are also the ones I've been using. I haven't tried them at long ranges yet, but eventually I will.

Joe