Old black powder.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Old black powder.

Post by gamekeeper »

My local toy shop owner asked me to come over and fire his miniature cannon, he wanted to show it off to some friends but he always asks me to help when black powder is involved :?
Anyway he hands me a tin of BP that judging by the price on the label must be over 30 + years old :shock:
It looked okay but ignition time was really slow and it went off like a damp squib :oops:
I have in the past tested BP that came out of antique muskets that had been in storage (in India) for perhaps 100 years and it still had some life left in it.
I have no idea how my dealers tin had been stored or where he got it from, my question is, does anyone keep black powder this long if so does it detiriate :?:
BTW the only shot that went with anything like a bang was the one where i forgot to put in my ear plugs.... :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Re: Old black powder.

Post by Shasta »

Until I lost it in last summer's fire, I had a metal 25 lb. keg of FFg black powder made by Gearhart-Owen Industries, which went out of business in the early 1980's. I had used two or three pounds of it in my black powder cartridge rifles with no determinable difference.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Black powder is not a chemical compound; it is a physical mixture of three components: charcoal, sulfur, saltpeter. As long as it is kept dry, it is virtually immortal. Once an original container is unsealed, the container and its sealing arrangement will slowly deteriorate, meaning that atmospheric humidity may eventually kill or weaken the powder. I bought a mixed case of ffg, fffg and ffffg about 30 years ago, still have probably 1/2 of it, and every time I have opened a sealed can -- the last one only a few weeks ago -- it's fresh as a daisy.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have read, but cannot prove, that the black powder loads for WWII Battleships were used during the first Gulf War.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Thanks for the replies, I thought that black powder, if stored correctly had a very good shelf life..
My local dealer collects all sorts of rubbish with no idea what it is, this powder obviously had not been looked after before he got it. The last time we fired this little cannon we used some of my black powder with much better results and my powder wasn't exactly new.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

BlaineG wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:39 pm I have read, but cannot prove, that the black powder loads for WWII Battleships were used during the first Gulf War.....
I doubt that, my understanding is that battle ships in the C20th used cordite gun cotton...

Scrummy
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

BlaineG wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:39 pm I have read, but cannot prove, that the black powder loads for WWII Battleships were used during the first Gulf War.....
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/16%22/5 ... Mark_7_gun

The 16”/50 mark 7 guns of the Iowa class during WWII used :
The D839 propellant (smokeless powder) grain used for full charges issued for this gun was 2 inches long (5.08 cm), 1 inch in diameter (2.54 cm) and had seven perforations, each 0.060 inches in diameter (0.152 cm) with a web thickness range of 0.193 to 0.197 inches (0.490 to 0.500 cm) between the perforations and the grain diameter. A maximum charge consists of six silk bags–hence the term bag gun–each filled with 110 pounds of propellant.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

gamekeeper wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:55 pm ...I thought that black powder, if stored correctly had a very good shelf life...
It can be "quite energetic" even if NOT stored properly too...

Seems that over here we lose 2 or 3 Civil War collectors who "have a problem" when drilling into dug-up cannonballs to defuse them...

Yeah...

"Rapid deflagration" is one way to ensure that it won't explode -- for a second time, that is... :shock:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Old No7 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:28 pm
gamekeeper wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:55 pm ...I thought that black powder, if stored correctly had a very good shelf life...
It can be "quite energetic" even if NOT stored properly too...

Seems that over here we lose 2 or 3 Civil War collectors who "have a problem" when drilling into dug-up cannonballs to defuse them...

Yeah...

"Rapid deflagration" is one way to ensure that it won't explode -- for a second time, that is... :shock:

Old No7
I can quite believe that, as I said in my original post, I unloaded several antique guns from India when I worked for Westley Richards, I put the powder in a tobacco tin, some of the powder had turned brown but when I dropped a match on it , BIG FLASH and lots of smoke. These guns were sold as wall hangers and not all of them were sold unloaded :shock: some of the matchlocks had barrels about 4 foot long and several blunderbusses were loaded with pebbles wrapped in cotton.
Before my time there, one of the guys (the stocker) was shot in they arm with an Indian percussion pistol that they had been fooling around with, after busting several caps it went off, the ball destroyed part of his bicep.
I always drop a ramrod down muzzleloaders to check for a long forgotten load.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

As I recall reading, the main charge is smokeless but not cordite. The large, multi perforated grains are difficult to get going, so a charge of BP is what the primer first lights off.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

KWK wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:06 am
As I recall reading, the main charge is smokeless but not cordite. The large, multi perforated grains are difficult to get going, so a charge of BP is what the primer first lights off.
Exactly.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
JRD
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JRD »

While visiting the Battleship Massachusetts years back on a Cub Scout campout with my boys, I learned the blackpowder ignition charge in the 16” guns was a 45-70 blank cartridge.
Handling the powder bags in the turret was a big ordeal too with all sorts of airlock hatches to keep a potential fire from setting off the whole magazine. It tools hundreds of sailors to man one of those 16” turrets. There is a ton going on in the turret below decks.

Jason
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

There's a reason for the old saying, "Keep your powder dry". Blackpowder kept dry has basically an unlimited shelf life. Don't know what effect getting damp then then being dried out has on it, but it'd still be dangerous even if it's lost some potency.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com