You guys with Winchester 76s ...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

You guys with Winchester 76s ...

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Seems several here have one. Are you still shooting them or hunting with them? What do you think of them?
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Re: You guys with Winchester 76s ...

Post by Shasta »

I have a Uberti 1876 rifle from Taylors & Co. with 28" barrel in .45-60 that I have owned for several years. Quality is excellent and it has an exceptionally beautiful buttstock. It is a very good shooter, although it weighs 11 lbs. and can be difficult to hold up during extended shooting sessions. I set it up with a Marble's tang sight for silhouette shooting, which I later changed to an MVA vernier tang sight.
Brass for the .45-60 can be made simply by shortening .45-70 brass to 1.89", but one minor drawback is that the .45-60 has a thinner rim, so each .45-70 brass has to have the top side of the rim filed down about .005" to chamber properly. Not all of the reproductions have this issue, as a friend has a Cimarron 1876 (also made by Uberti) that will chamber the brass without having to thin the rims.
Having lost my home along with all my ammunition and reloading equipment to last summer's Carr Fire, I have not shot my rifle in close to a year. I recently bought 250 pieces of brass from Starline and have them all trimmed and the rims thinned. I got new RCBS Legacy dies, a new bullet mould, and a new RCBS lead melting pot, so hopefully will be able to shoot it again in the near future. I had done a great deal of load testing and had a good load for it, but unfortunately all my reloading records were also lost, so I will have to start over with this rifle and all my other ones too.
A couple pictures of my 1876:

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Beautiful rifle, Shasta. It's the weight of these big '76's that gives me pause.
I have a rolling block in .50-70 that weighs just over 11 pounds and it "just ain't much fun" to carry it very far.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

The 76 is a beautiful rifle. I don't own one, but I have an 86, 71, and had an 1881 Marlin.
I find I rarely use these rifles in the field due to the size and weight, however.

Shasta,
Very pretty! Best of luck with your load development.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I had a chance to buy an original 1876 in 50-95 about 15 years ago but the guy wanted $6500 and I couldn’t handle that at the time . Not that I can now either for that matter :roll:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

I have a Uberti 76 in 45/75 with the larger "Uberti" chamber. It's a beast for sure, but I love it. I haven't hunted with it, yet, living in Illinois there isn't much we are allowed to hunt with a rifle. I have a small problem with the main spring falling off, not sure how I'm going to fix that, still thinking on it. Got 2 new springs from VTI and they will not work at all. But, the rifle itself is very accurate and fun to shoot. I prefer it over my 86's.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Shasta that`s a beauty. 8)

I have a Chappy in 45-60 and really like it, the history of them is great just cool.
I got luck and got a pretty nice and smooth one though i did go through it and slicked it up more.

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have a Chappy also. Mine is in .50-95. I haven’t shot it in a long time but it’s a good shooter with loads it likes.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Though not on question, I've always thought the '76 a handsome rifle but the '73 rather unattractive--something about the proportions of the side plate, I think. Using the Powley computer, I dreamed up some .30 and .35 wildcats on the .40-60 case.
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Nice, Veeman!
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

I have a couple originals in 45-60 and 45-75. They have killed everything from deer, bear to prairie dogs...

Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Man, I'm in the wrong line of work... I've barely got time to think about all hunting and collecting you guys do.

Thanks for sharing, it keeps me going.
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

Well, here's another, just cuz.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Had a 1876, but never hunted with it. But I have hunted with my 1881 Marlin rifles, and they really aren't so awful heavy that it bothered me. I do own a slip on sling that I use on all my 1800's guns when I hunt with them. Without a sling I found myself switching the gun from one hand to the other constantly to relieve the weight off my hands and arms. With a sling the heavier rifles just don't seem as heavy.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/