Thoughts on faux ivory grips

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Thoughts on faux ivory grips

Post by fordwannabe »

Gentlemen I would like your recommendations on some faux ivory grips for Ruger Blackhawk and Ruger super Blackhawk. I have heard of a wood, I don’t remember,I believe it was holley?that is used for a set of grips and something called ivory wood in addition to all the plastics polymers etc. any thoughts or ideas appreciated thanks.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Thoughts on faux ivory grips

Post by milton »

The wood you are asking about is American Holly.Do a web search of Holly grips and you should find a lot of photos.They start out snow white and yellow with age under an oil finish.
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Holly is lovely stuff in its own right.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have a set of American Holley grips by CLC grips.
Here is a pic of them when they were new back in 2006.
CLCyellowedAMHollygrips12-23-06b_we.jpg
They have aged and darkened considerably since, but I can't find the pics I took ... yet.

ETA: Found them:
OMBHyellowinggrips4-12-13.jpg
ETA# 2: Here's the thread over on TRF where we discussed the AH grips:
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 3&t=178561

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Holley trees were grown locally commercially for the Christmas trade and shipped world wide.Fake Holley decorations killed that many years ago.
Holley trees don’t normally grow large so finding large enough pieces to make grips is fairly difficult and they command a premium price when quality blanks are found.
That said , Holly makes a very nice substitute for Ivory. You want clear wood without heartwood and it must be properly dried or warpage is sure to happen. Expect to pay as much as highly figured Walnut.
Friend Six sent me some a couple years back. Thanks Six ! After letting it climatize to our area it did warp some. I ended up using it for knife handles.they do look like Ivory.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Thanks guys.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Another alternative would be linen/canvas Micarta.

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Pete44ru wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:39 am .

Another alternative would be linen/canvas Micarta.

I may have asked this before, but who made you're grips? They look gorgeous.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

They are Antique paper Micarta grips from www.clcustomgrips.com , over on the Ruger Forum.

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Pete44ru wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:07 pm .

They are Antique paper Micarta grips from www.clcustomgrips.com , over on the Ruger Forum.

Looks like CLC might be out of business. I just tried your link and those in my bookmarks and could not get to his site.

Joe
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

It might be that he's taking a sabbatical from making grips, although he's still actively posting on www.rugerforum.com & www.singleactions.com

Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

J Miller wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:00 pm
Pete44ru wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:07 pm .

Looks like CLC might be out of business. I just tried your link and those in my bookmarks and could not get to his site.

Joe
from the main page of his web site:
"Due to health problems I’ve had to stop making grips. Right now I don’t know exactly how long this will be. I hope to get back to it in the future. You can check this site from time to time and if this message is gone, you will know that I’m back in business"
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodtroll »

Some of the folks who post over on one of the 1911 forums have been happy with this synthetic ivory; it even has "grain" to it:

https://guitarpartsandmore.com/mainCate ... -Blanks-57

However, I have no first-hand experience with it, but have been tempted to make a set from it when I have more time. Good luck!
Running the ridges and rivers of Virginia's southern Appalachians
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I've happily used some grips called "Tru-Ivory" on a couple of my Colt SAAs. It even yellows some with age or can be stained with tea. Comes from Bar S Grips online. I bought mine from a vendor at the "Show Me Shootout" in Branson but can't remember his name. 'course I can't remember much of anything these days.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

m.M. Those look pretty good. I was really liking the American holly but the guy that impressed me with his work seems to be having health issues right now. What general pricing for a set of those. I truly don’t know if they are$100 or $300. Thanks
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Seems to me I remember $75 to 150 depending if checkered, steer head, eagle etc. I like the one piece style that must be glued together in the middle.

Left is Walrus that is fossilized I think and the other is ivory from the Colt custom shop. $700 back in '72.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

M. M. Wright wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:37 pm Seems to me I remember $75 to 150 depending if checkered, steer head, eagle etc. I like the one piece style that must be glued together in the middle.

Left is Walrus that is fossilized I think and the other is ivory from the Colt custom shop. $700 back in '72.

That is $4,257 adjusted to today's dollar buying power!
m.A.g.a. !
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Thanks for the information and those Colts and the grips are gorgeous.