357 factory loads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Plottman
Levergunner 1.0

357 factory loads

Post by Plottman »

I bought a bunch of rounds mail order from one of the biggest sporting goods chains in the nation that recently merged with the other largest chain. I like to practice with the same round that I hunt with for example if I am hunting with 151 grain soft point semi jacketed wad cutters, that is what I practice with. I bought several hundred rounds of same from Eagle manufacturer. I had one round that had no powder, primer worked and round lodged half in cylinder half in barrel. I had another round, the recoil from previous round removed bullet from case. The only reason I post this information , both events turned my trusted revolver temporarily into a hammer. I will not use these rounds for hunting or protection. The model 28 was fine after I removed defective rounds.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 357 factory loads

Post by Tycer »

Makes a semi auto malfunction drill seem simple eh?
I’ve had a 19 and a 66 locked up with factory rounds not having enough crimp. Helped me switch to semi for edc.
K-frame is still my perfect fit.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Never had any problems with brand name factory .357 ammo in M19 or M1892 . Or with my hand loads for that matter.

Never seen any Eagle ammo though and do not even know who makes that.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

crs wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:18 pm Never had any problems with brand name factory .357 ammo in M19 or M1892 . Or with my hand loads for that matter.

Never seen any Eagle ammo though and do not even know who makes that.
Does "Eagle ammunition" mean Aguila or American Eagle?

I don't use either for anything other than target practice or plinking.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Looks like you need to weight each & every remaining round, cull out the light ones and send them back to the manufacturer!
The Ammo companies NEED to know this happened, could prevent a gun from blowing up and a lawsuit!

Years ago I had some bad Federal 22s, they wouldn't go off. I wrote federal & sent them back and got a brick in return.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

If he means "American Eagle" that is a Federal product...
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Plottman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Plottman »

They were american eagle by federal, I have about 250 left, they were avertised as practice rounds, I didnt expect premium loads at discount prices, but I did expect them to work.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Interesting, disappointing, and somewhat alarming.

American Eagle is pretty much the only .357Mag ammunition I've used for the last 20+ years and I've never had a single problem. Not one.

Anybody else have any issues?

I'd be interested to know about known or on-going QC problems before I purchase my next case.

:?:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have some American Eagle 327 Federal Magnum rounds with the primer seated upside down. About 10 out of 50. Those are the last American Eagle rounds I have bought or will buy. I guess I could pull the bullets and reload them if I can get the primer out safely. I would not reuse the primer even if it comes out safely. Quality control like that could get you injured, or even worse.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

Tycer wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:41 pm Makes a semi auto malfunction drill seem simple eh?
I’ve had a 19 and a 66 locked up with factory rounds not having enough crimp. Helped me switch to semi for edc.
a little off topic but, wouldn't the same issue (primer only, lodging a bullet in the barrel) tie up a semi-auto just as much as a revolver?
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Twodot wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:54 pm
Tycer wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:41 pm Makes a semi auto malfunction drill seem simple eh?
a little off topic but, wouldn't the same issue (primer only, lodging a bullet in the barrel) tie up a semi-auto just as much as a revolver?
Yes it would.
These rounds I spoke of backed out past the cylinder face and locked the cylinder from turning or opening. Required cutting the bullet flush.

I’ve never had a factory squib. I’ve had more than one squib. It was that loose nut on the press handle that caused it. :oops:
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com