Soliciting more opinions ..... this time on after market magazines

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Soliciting more opinions ..... this time on after market magazines

Post by wm »

Normally I prefer just to go with OEM. But it ticks me off to feel taken advantage of and $40+ for a magazine is definitely being taken advantage of.

And besides that the magazines I'm currently hunting around for are S&W 59/5900 & 69/6900 magazines which are almost 20 years out of date now. So anyone have opinions on Pro Mag magazines? Mec Gar? Others?

Opinions on S&W after market magazines would be great but opinions on the general quality and usefulness of any of the after market magazine suppliers would be just as appreciated. I figure if they turn out stuff Beretta magazines for example then they probably are not doing any better with their other stuff.

Wm.
JRD
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Soliciting more opinions ..... this time on after market magazines

Post by JRD »

MecGar is a gold standard for magazines. Many manufacturers subcontract them to make “factory” magazines. They make an excellent magazine.
Promag is more of a budget maker. Varied results in my experience.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Another MecGar vote; the only kind I'll use in my CCW gun (Taurus PT-92). Factory mags aren't as good, and a slight modification needs done to Beretta 92 mags to get them to work, plus they aren't as good as the MecGar ones either.

I've also used them for my Para Ord Double stack 1911's in 45 ACP, in 14-shot for the regular 1911 size, and 12-shot for the 'Officer' model, and shot thousands of rounds with no malfunctions.

I do have ProMag 20-round (also double-stack) 1911 magazines as well, and so far they have been fine, but only a few hundred rounds experience so far with those. They appear very well made, but I've seen some Mini-14 magazines I think they made that weren't great.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

MecGar is a gold standard for magazines. Many manufacturers subcontract them to make “factory” magazines. They make an excellent magazine.
Yep. I wouldn't hesitate to use on of their magazines in anything.

-Stretch
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I have a pro mag in 380 for the lcp that has not failed yet . . .

and pro mags of various sizes for the 9mm Beretta kel-tec carbine, looks like this:

I have not done all day continuous mag dumps with the pro mags, but so far no hiccups....

none of my factory XD mags have failed yet . . .
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

The problem I have with Promags is their inconsistency. Probably 1 out of 3 Promags I have bought just would not work worth a darn. MecGar, on the other hand, has never let me down. By look and feel you can tell they are quality mags, and they work -- period.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

JRD wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:36 am MecGar is a gold standard for magazines. Many manufacturers subcontract them to make “factory” magazines. They make an excellent magazine.
Promag is more of a budget maker. Varied results in my experience.
+1 .. in my simple lousy cranky back-east opinion PRO-MAG are a waste of money, walk away...better to go OEM when you can... :)
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Semi auto rifles in 5.56 & 7.62 I like Magpul. Handguns I usually use OEM. But the Mec Gar are really good

I do have some from unknown makers that have worked well, but it’s a crapshoot. One noteworthy exception were some for my AMT .45 Backup. Every bit as good as OEM And a lot cheaper.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I was going through and looking at some old magazines in local gun shop bin …… checkmate, eagle, shooting star, Pacmayer, Triple K, OKay, etc.

Thanks for you input.

Wm
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

If you need 1911 mags there is none so good as Wilson makes. I think I have 16 of them. Mostly 7 round but several 8 rounders. They work!
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS