The trouble with IWB carry ...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

The trouble with IWB carry ...

Post by Bill in Oregon »

... at least in my case, is that I tend to get into the suds enough to add a pound when I am not looking, and lose a notch on my belt. As a result, there just isn't room inside my waistband for a holster and heater. Darn if I am going to buy bigger pants just to carry IWB.
Anyone else in this sorry boat?

:lol:
JimT
Shootist

Re: The trouble with IWB carry ...

Post by JimT »

Wear suspenders and a shoulder holster. :D

Or Bib Overalls. Lots of pockets in them. :P
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jim, two solutions, the latter of which is not the most elegant -- but viable!
:mrgreen:
My great-grandfather, who had at least three bullet scars from Texas days, carried a Colt SAA in a shoulder holster under his suit coat for most of his life.
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

The fatter one is, the more uncomfortable it is. And I'm not talking about GAINING weight either.
Like when you sit, and your side-handle flops over the hammer spur. Commander hammers hurt less, but it still is a pain. Or sharp rear sights. Or the specialy fit low beaver tail that feels better after shooting 300 rounds in one day, but sticks up higher than the old safety. Right into that bottom floating rib.

Ban me now if you will, but Glocks shine in these areas.

And let us not forget about heat rash in the summer. Or not being carefull when sitting down and getting pinched between the holster and chair. Looks like you got bit by a duck on your tookus. My Gold Cup was bad about that, my Commander not as much.
IWB is the most concealable, and the most uncomfortable. Is that a win-win?
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I've never liked IWB. It is uncomfortable. I prefer OWB. And to really irritate the IWB/AIWB (I'm not pointing a loaded firearm in the direction of my groin) crowd. I prefer cross draw. Seems to me lots of folks who carry are totally paranoid about being "made". Concealed here means you can't see it. Printing is not "seeing it". So, OWB cross draw with a covering garment has worked for me for over four decades.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Good thoughts Jeepnik. I reluctantly got rid of the heavy 1911 with the beavertail and switched to an XD subcompact so as to make this potentially comfortable enough that I might actually carry the thing.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:17 pm Good thoughts Jeepnik. I reluctantly got rid of the heavy 1911 with the beavertail and switched to an XD subcompact so as to make this potentially comfortable enough that I might actually carry the thing.
Actually I prefer a full size 1911. Yea, they weigh a bit, but I have complete confidence in it's capability. I do like revolvers, but the 1911 is flatter and seems to ride better for me.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Michaux
Levergunner

Post by Michaux »

IWB for me is fubar for me. Need pants a size too large and I need a tuakable for my job. I've gone to an ankle holster... not the best for sure, but at least I have it with me.

Michaux
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Cut out the suds, problem solved.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

If you're unwilling to buy bigger pants -- don't carry IWB unless it's a micro-.380 or some such.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

jeepnik wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:49 pm I've never liked IWB. It is uncomfortable. I prefer OWB. And to really irritate the IWB/AIWB (I'm not pointing a loaded firearm in the direction of my groin) crowd. I prefer cross draw. Seems to me lots of folks who carry are totally paranoid about being "made". Concealed here means you can't see it. Printing is not "seeing it". So, OWB cross draw with a covering garment has worked for me for over four decades.

+1!

At my age (52) I don't really care about being printed. If someone calls the police about an armed man and they show up, I'm just going to endure the 10 minutes of inconvenience. It has not happened in the 32 years leading up to now so I figure the odds are in my favor.

Wm
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Harry, of course that is the wisest solution ... :lol:
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Try a different carry to accommodate the expected discomfort.

If you can't carry IWB, try OWB, if you don't like the print, try a belly band or a shoulder rig.

They all fit somewhere.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I know how you feel. I am a fat guy that carries a Springfield XD Compact .45 ACP inside the waistband using an Alien Gear hybrid holster. I decided it was worth it to me to buy oversize pants to accommodate my weight gains. I buy them two sizes big at Walmart for under $20, then I put suspender buttons on them. I use wide logger style suspenders to hold up my pants, and an extra-long Tagua brand belt to support my holster along with a knife sheath that contains a spare magazine. In the summer the suspenders go underneath just a loose un-tucked T-shirt. In the winter I wear the T-shirt tucked in under the suspenders and have a heavier loose un-tucked shirt over the suspenders for warmth and concealment.

I recently discovered an added bonus for the suspenders. I switched from the flip phone I had carried in my pants pocket for several years (frequently missing calls because I am too deaf to hear it ring), to a new Iphone 8 carried in a protective Otterbox Defender brand case clipped high on my suspender, which puts it nearer to my ear where I can hear the ringtone much better. I just reach inside my shirt and the phone is right there.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I always figured the discomfort of being injured or killed because of leaving my gun at home, or carrying something less-than-ideal, is lots worse than the discomfort of carrying a firearm, so I just carry whatever I think is the best self-defense handgun.

If it 'prints', so be it; I live in a pro-gun state and am licensed, and don't have to go to places (schools, airports, courthouse, hospitals with prison wards) where CCW isn't allowed.

If it is uncomfortable, I just put up with it, BUT whenever I gain weight, I deal with THAT, since far more people die from being overweight than being mugged. It may be unpleasant to hear, and hard to do, and nowhere near as masculine seeming as carrying a gun, but you gotta put the risks in perspective and deal with the bigger threat....being overweight. We lose too many pro-gun, pro-freedom guys to things like weight, blood pressure, and smoking, and pretty soon the scrawny tofu-munching LibTards will outnumber us... :|
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I've got a keg where my sixpack used to be, but even without that, I think I'd find a gun shoved into the inside of my pants darned uncomfortable ( even without the threat to my two little boys). A normal semi - low slung holster is something I can wear all day, and have done so many times on the range. If we were allowed to carry here in the land of Oz, I'd go with either a cross draw, or cross draw shoulder holster. If I moved to the USA I'd opt for a state with open carry laws and feel right at home with my semi - low slung sixgun.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I use a high noon "mr softy", [IIRC], IWB. it is thin and soft so makes less of an impression on me. it holds my xd45 or xd9 or LCP380. the 380 can be submerged entirely below the belt, it just flat disappears. the xd's carry low with the grip resting on the top of the belt. I can slide it fore and aft several inches and cant it whichever. nothing poking me or rubbing the wrong way. I never tuck shirts in. Most of the time I never know it's there. When an XD is in the high noon the LCP is often carried in my boot top in an IWB close fitting holster. I used to carry the XDSC9 in my boot without a holster, but wore out those boots and the ones I have now don't like the XD in there. I like boot carry in the car, although I can unholster any of the three pistols without disconnecting the seatbelt. I gave up on IWB because of how uncomfortable I was, tried the high noon on a whim, and haven't looked back.

seems like we have to keep trying stuff to find something that works consistently.