Bringing an old one back to life

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Bringing an old one back to life

Post by JimT »

Awhile back I picked up an old Uberti .45 Colt. It had been rode hard and put away wet. The bore is pretty well pitted. It was missing a hammer and some internal parts.

I have a few single action parts on hand and eventually found a hammer that worked, though I did have to fit it to the Uberti frame. But it is now timed and running pretty smoothly.

I am gonna play with it a bit before I pass it along. I enjoy getting the old ones going again.

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Bringing an old one back to life

Post by gamekeeper »

Nice job, I can never understand how anyone can let a gun get in such a condition, I even cringe when I see guns thrown on the ground in movies.. :(
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I love hearing about projects like this.

Wm
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

Where is the "like" button?

Now, if it's looking for a new home .................... :wink:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'd bet the previous owner took the hammer out so a malcontent child wouldnt hurt anyone...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

If it had the old "D" cam hammer, they bolt leg had a tendency to cut a grove in the actuating cam throwing the timing out. Owner could have taken the parts out trying to find replacements.

My Iver Johnsons Cattleman was like that. NKJ fixed it up for me some years back. Glad you found a hammer and the parts to fix it up, I love old guns with character.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I'm glad you got that old reprobate running again JimT. I just have a terrible time not trying to salvage every old SAA I come across. The last few years I've managed to contain myself to Colts although I have tackled a couple of 1877 pistols. Never again.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Not bad at all Jimbo! Looks like an old Colt with a "Fast first look". Probably someone's cowboy action gun that they antiqued as I can't see a modern revolver getting that much finish wear.--6
Model A Uzi’s
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

For a while Uberti offered an "antique" finish that looked very much like that. I believe some Cowboy Action shooters wanted a gun that looked well-worn, like a gun that had been rode hard and put up wet by some cowhand for years on the range. Personally, I always felt that real cowboys were probably delighted to get a shiny, brand-new gun -- and then put the wear on it themselves.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

M. M. Wright wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:50 pm I'm glad you got that old reprobate running again JimT. I just have a terrible time not trying to salvage every old SAA I come across. The last few years I've managed to contain myself to Colts although I have tackled a couple of 1877 pistols. Never again.
I know how you feel. I have salvaged a couple SAA Colts and love doing it.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

gamekeeper wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:47 pm Nice job, I can never understand how anyone can let a gun get in such a condition, I even cringe when I see guns thrown on the ground in movies.. :(

Every time my father sees the Lone Ranger throw his Colt's on the ground he gripes about it.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

JimT wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:25 pm Awhile back I picked up an old Uberti .45 Colt. It had been rode hard and put away wet. The bore is pretty well pitted. It was missing a hammer and some internal parts.

I have a few single action parts on hand and eventually found a hammer that worked, though I did have to fit it to the Uberti frame. But it is now timed and running pretty smoothly.

I am gonna play with it a bit before I pass it along. I enjoy getting the old ones going again.

Turned out great. Looks pretty good.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I think it's got great character Jim! Just looks like a working gun that saw a lot more use than we expect from a newer Uberti. But something about it appeals to me anyway!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

marlinman93 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:01 am I think it's got great character Jim! Just looks like a working gun that saw a lot more use than we expect from a newer Uberti. But something about it appeals to me anyway!
Yeah. Me too. :D I like the looks of a gun that hasn't spent it's life not being used and kept in a protected environment.
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

Awsome!

I have a Uberti 2nd. model Dragoon with the old west finish

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/servic ... 05/enhance