Playing with an Old Friend

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Playing with an Old Friend

Post by JimT »

Before I moved to Africa I left this with an old and trusted friend. Just recently I got it back from him. It had been in his safe for about 10 years. I had a few pieces of brass already made and so I loaded a few rounds so I can take it to the range. I have the bullets and the mold now and will have the rest of my brass in a short time. It will be fun getting reacquainted with it.

These loads will run around 750 fps.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Playing with an Old Friend

Post by gamekeeper »

I think you are certainly going to have fun getting reacquainted. 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Those are some pretty substantial flat spots on that bullet. What bullet are they? And why are you hunting Kenworths? :shock:
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

fordwannabe wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:53 pm Those are some pretty substantial flat spots on that bullet. What bullet are they? And why are you hunting Kenworths? :shock:
It's the 480 Achilles ..
http://leverguns.com/480/Default.htm
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jim, I thought those bullets looked familiar. Have a ball with it!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:45 pm Jim, I thought those bullets looked familiar. Have a ball with it!
I am and I will! Thanks Bill.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I remember shooting that pistol at the 1st Annual 6 guns Lever guns get together in Indiana back in '06 I think.
Enjoyed it a lot. I wondered what happened to it, glad you still have it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

J Miller wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:36 pm I remember shooting that pistol at the 1st Annual 6 guns Lever guns get together in Indiana back in '06 I think.
Enjoyed it a lot. I wondered what happened to it, glad you still have it.

Joe
Yeah ... that was a fun time. I haven't shot it since 2008 ... it's time!
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Thanks for posting that link Jim, have not read that article in years - still Good! Undaunted by common sense, too funny! :lol:
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I should have had that engraved on the gun.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Nice piece of shootin iron!
That is a W I D E metplat!!
I read the article about the 480, good stuff for sure! Have you used it on any flesh & bone critters?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:54 pm Nice piece of shootin iron!
That is a W I D E metplat!!
I read the article about the 480, good stuff for sure! Have you used it on any flesh & bone critters?
I took a Javelina and a Sika Doe with it. I hope to use it on some game in the not too distant future.

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

VERY interesting read. Undaunted by common sense that summarizes my life. Did you have TShirts made?
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

No. We should have made t shirts and hats. :D
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

beautiful revolver. looks like unlimited good times in the woods with a friend like that one.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Unencumbered by the thought process. A fun project though. I wondered what ever happened to that
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Glad to see that ol' sixgun is spitting lead again. It's a fistful of fun indeed! I still see the vivid images of exploding hedge-apples. Undaunted By Commone Sense - no doubt. Yet motivated by love of fun shooting!
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

AmBraCol wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:27 am Glad to see that ol' sixgun is spitting lead again. It's a fistful of fun indeed! I still see the vivid images of exploding hedge-apples. Undaunted By Commone Sense - no doubt. Yet motivated by love of fun shooting!
Aqueles foram bons dias o meu amigo. Quando o veremos nos Estados Unidos? Seria divertimento de ter outro tempo como isto.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a Ruger in .480 Ruger. The heel based .480 Achilles appears to be a little less power and by extrapolation of that, a little less kick. Still, a wide heavy moderate speed bullet has long been a proven game getter. How is it as far as the recoil and the accuracy?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

piller wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:41 pm How is it as far as the recoil and the accuracy?
Recoil is mild. A push. Not sharp. Accuracy is better than I can shoot these days. And to be honest, it's been years since I did any target work with it. That is scheduled for the near future ... just so I can get familiar with it again.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

I have what was thought to be achilles #4, circa 2005.
file.jpg
It is just a frugal effort, obama-engineered excrescence of sorts that the smithy did not want his fine name associated with. It is marked .45/.480 on the barrel so he did not have to remark and reblue the frame to comply with federal gun conversion statutes.

A gentleman named bittner, i think, was to send me a hundred or so bullets until I could secure my own mould. He thought 100 bullets wasn't worth his time and the price kept growing with each email and p.m. so that in the end, 500 bullets would have cost me more than the custom gunwork itself.

I made do with the lee 325 gr. loaded both using the gas check base as a heel and backwards with the nose as the heel over 2400 and unique.

By the time I got around to ordering my own mould, the mountain molds goomer wasn't interested but the professional gentleman at accurate moulds made this which you can find on page 19 of their catalog.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_det ... 290H-D.png
48-290H-D.png
Mostly I just load from the front cap and ball style using two .490" balls over a cut-down .410 shotshell blank. Unique works fine for this loading.
file-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
m.A.g.a. !
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Wow Ray, that is a cool way to load! I'm guessing the loads stay together under recoil, eh?
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Grizz wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:31 am Wow Ray, that is a cool way to load! I'm guessing the loads stay together under recoil, eh?
If you mean cylinder creep caused by inertia the answer is no with .480" but for the most part yes with .490"....with the larger balls you get the lead ring extruded on seating. A muzzleloader starter or a piece of wood dowel or deer tine is kept handy to reseat any incorrigible front ball.

B.T.W. Two .410" balls squeezed down over a . 38 s & w (not special) blank load works in the old .41 colt......
m.A.g.a. !
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

JimT wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:30 am
AmBraCol wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:27 am Glad to see that ol' sixgun is spitting lead again. It's a fistful of fun indeed! I still see the vivid images of exploding hedge-apples. Undaunted By Commone Sense - no doubt. Yet motivated by love of fun shooting!
Aqueles foram bons dias o meu amigo. Quando o veremos nos Estados Unidos? Seria divertimento de ter outro tempo como isto.
Eu pensei que seria agora em Junho, mais não tenho os fundos para o viajem. Asim é a vida. :(
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Eu pensei que seria agora em Junho, mais não tenho os fundos para o viajem. Asim é a vida. :(
Entende. Sempre há Esperança e a Confiança.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Sim senhor. Veremos que faz o Senhor, estou tranquilo e trabalhando. No tempo de Deus nos vemos!
Paul - in Pereira

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

the most beautiful language to listen to IMO, especially in song . . . thanks for the reminder