Man these Ponies are addicting...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Man these Ponies are addicting...

Post by Bridger »

Since my last post the herd has grown some. I got a good deal on the 6" Official Police at a LGS, but it had some ugly target grips on it. I like my stuff to be as it came from the factory so I started looking for grips. Let me tell you, original E frame Colt service grips are NOT as cheap as you might think. But, I finally found a set of Coltwood (read plastic) grips for $30 shipped. Which seemed like a great deal except they have shrunk slightly as Coltwood is known to do, which bugs me. Also, they aren't period correct as my gun is a mid 60s and by the mid 50s walnut was standard again.
SO....
I said dang, grips that are not quite right, and a barrel to long to pack. I need to buy a 4" with factory grips and sell the 6" and be happy. So I bought the 4" for a great price. Excellent mechanical shape, and looks decent even though somebody got a little aggressive with the rust speckling removal on the sideplates. Ex police gun I was told. I bought it off gunbroker thinking if I didn't like it when I got I'd put the grips on my 6" and sell the 4".
Well, now I have both and I like them both too much to sell. Not to mention the 6" is a heavy barrel that is slightly less common. I guess the thing to do is buy some reproduction walnut grips for the 6" and be done with it lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Man these Ponies are addicting...

Post by AJMD429 »

Nice Pair (I don't usually say that to men).

"I bought it off gunbroker thinking if I didn't like it when I got I'd put the grips on my 6" and sell the 4".
Well, now I have both and I like them both too much to sell. Not to mention the 6" is a heavy barrel that is slightly less common.
"

Been there and done THAT a bunch of times - "Oh, I'll get this new/better one, and then sell off my old one..." or "I'll shoot all four of my 30-30's this summer, and work up loads for them, then see which one shoots best, and keep that one..." Yeah, sure.

I used to say those things to my wife, and she'd laugh, but deep inside I knew I was being sensible....

....now I don't even try to fool myself....

"I'll buy another one of these, so I have seven; seven is a good number, plus that way I have one for each of my kids, one for my wife, one for me, and....a SPARE....that's right, you have to have a spare.....what if one of the other six broke...???? Yep, need a spare....

.... :|

...... :?

......... :!:

................ya know, EVEN numbers are better, so maybe I should get an eighth one..... :)

.....but.......NINE is three squared, I could have three different variations, and have three of each one; now THAT would be cool.....
!!!"

Then I inventory whatever it is I have seven of, and there are actually FOUR variations, if you look at the sights, barrel lengths, finish, or whatever............ :(

So selling three would make sense, keeping one of each variation.

.... :|

...... :?

......... :!:

.....but two of each would mean I had a spare of EACH variation.... :mrgreen:

Good luck keeping your Herd of Ponies from taking over the house.... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

haha thank you Doc! I'm glad I'm not the only one suffering with this inability to get rid of a gun just because i have another like it lol

The best part is, my girlfriend knows I have an obsession with Colts and the other night I was telling her about the dilemma I'm in. She just told me I should probably keep both of them. She might just be a keeper to....I think that's wife material right there :D

- Winston Churchill
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I would own a lot more guns if I could find desirable ones at "a great price". the ones I see have a great price for the seller, and too great for mio....

glad you got those, they're beauts.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Better than money in the bank....just wait till the pre war Single Action Army bug bites you.....or the large frame double actions like the one in my avatar......the reaction to that bug bite makes you do all kinds of crazy stuff.....you'll drive the same vehicle year after year..you find you can get by on one pair of jeans ....new refrigerator? ..out of the question..you'll buy a shop manual and fix the old one...........on and on and on...--6

(Something tell me I have a set of hard rubber grips for a Police Positive ...the ones with the fancy engraving moulded into them)
Model A Uzi’s
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

Thanks guys!

Grizz, I have finally given up on finding good deals around town in shops. Most shop owners see a Colt and assume that no matter what it is that it is worth a mint. Beat to hell Police Positives are worth $500 in their opinion. So I have started buying online. Eventually I fear I will get burned but so far so good.

Six, we have never met or talked but I have been reading your posts for years and you have made s big impact on me if you can believe that. You once said something that has stuck with me for a long time now...Don't but junk even if it costs less because junk will always be junk. Or something along those lines. So I'm buying the best I can afford and though I do enjoy them I do hope they appreciate some. I'm 27 now, and I hope by the time I'm 50 or 60 they'll really be something special. I wish bubba hadn't gotten ahold of my most recent acquisition (the 4" in the original post) and tried to get the surface rust off the sideplates but oh well. For the most part it's in good shape and mechanically excellent.

Those hard plastic grips like came on the New Service and PP don't have the same reputation for shrinking that I can tell. And for that matter, only some of the Coltwood grips do. Can't remember if it's the early or later ones.

By the way, speaking of the large frame Colts, an SAA is on my list. But, a few months ago I passed up a pristine New Service in 45 colt that had not been refinished or anything as best as I could tell for $895. That is currently haunting me lol
I also have a passion for Winchesters. But haven't dived off into that area very much. Yet....😁

- Winston Churchill