What do you suppose it would take to bring this derelict back to life .....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

What do you suppose it would take to bring this derelict back to life .....

Post by wm »

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/806840175

I'm not interested in actually undertaking such a project but I feel I have learned a great deal listening to more experienced people talk about what goes into such a project. That and I work 3rd shift so thinking & planning about projects or possible projects helps make the night go faster.

So if said revolver fell in your lap, what would you do? How much time and $ do you think it would take you to do what you think needs to be done?

Wm

P.S. Please feel obliged to pass this along to anyone who might take an interest in restoring it …… Just make them promise to come here and tell us about it and show us some pictures of it restored.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: What do you suppose it would take to bring this derelict back to life .....

Post by AJMD429 »

Oh....for a minute I thought you were talking about Hillary.....! :shock: :oops:

I'd want to see the bore, and inside parts (....NOT of Hillary... :shock: ), but if they looked decent it might be a fun project. I doubt I'd shoot it much though.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Given it's a .38 Colt Model 1877 Lightning, in poor condition (less than 10% remaining original condition) and has missing and/or broken parts, if you spent the $100-odd for the required parts, and have both the time & the knowledge of how to fit them, you would end up with a somewhat undesirable specimen worth less than $400.

(if someone could be found who's interested enough in it to buy it)

OTOH, it also might make someone an interesting $300 Winter project. :roll:

Last edited by Pete44ru on Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I have no first hand experience with them those revolvers are known to be difficult to get working correctly. One of the bigger cowboy action gunsmiths in our area absolutely refuses to work on them.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

There are very likely much more productive and entertaining ways to spend your time and money.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yup they are a bear to time, had a guy bring me one years ago- lots of tinkering to get it right. He also had a Merwin Hurbert that was a heck of a lot easier to work on.

In this case do we know what parts it has? Doesn't have? You might find the needed parts but ya might not, are you up to making parts? Personally I'd walk away.

And for the record, all the internals of HRC are BLACK and corroded beyond repair! Should be cut up with a torch and turned into brake disks...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!