Got a New Huntin' Partner! (black lab)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Got a New Huntin' Partner! (black lab)

Post by Old No7 »

Well, we finally filled the hole in our hearts from losing my wife's yellow lab last spring...

I was ready and eager to get another puppy in the fall, but my bride needed a little more time. And to make it easier, so memories of our other dog didn't come flooding back (with her tears flooding too), this time we got a black male instead of a yellow female. We know dogs are unique and have individual personalities, plus there is no replacing "her", but this little guy will do well to heal our hearts -- and will become a hunting partner for me.

Here is JACK when we first saw him 2 weeks ago at the breeders. She said of the 3 males in the litter, he was the most eager to fetch and retrieve a duck wing. And just like his parents & grandparents, she expects him to be calm when in the house and "turn on" when he goes out hunting.

Jack 03-15-19 01 (Small).jpg
Jack 03-15-19 02 (Small).jpg

And YES, "Jack" does stands for Jack Daniels :wink:

and this is the custom leash & collar I had made just for him -- but it may be a year before he grows into it:
Jack 03-21-19 (Small).jpg

And here's Jack yesterday when we picked him up:
Jack 03-30-19 01 (Small).jpg
Jack 03-30-19 02 (Small).jpg

The little guy had a successful first night -- getting him up and out every 2.5-3 hours, and his crate training has been started.

I've always needed and had GOD in my life -- but after having (and losing) the first one -- I needed DOG too.

Oops -- gotta go --gotta get the little guy outside!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Got a New Huntin' Partner! (black lab)

Post by piller »

Good looking little guy. Just my experience, but the dogs I have known who will sit still for a picture are the ones who can be calm when inside.

After I go to sleep, our Chiweenie crawls under the covers and sleeps at my side. I think it is for warmth, and I don't move much at night and PillHer moves constantly.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Great eye contact! Tail wagging! You have my word he is HAPPY to be with YOU!
He is a great looking pup! I look forward to seeing more pictures as he grows. I hope that you have many years of bird hunting and lots of retrieves for Jack!

Ah yes, the dreaded 2-3 hour tinkle trips, I miss those at night( well not really) before ya know it he will be pushing both of you off the bed at night! :lol: Keep those retrieving dummies handy !

Now, I'm not harping on this, it's none of my business what people do with their dogs but just FYI, some new research has shown that male dogs are better off with a vasectomy rather than neutering.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Awesome!

We keep debating about another Lab or Dane. We have four now so it will be awhile before the decision gets made. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Congrats pard and many fun times with him. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Congratulations Darryl, looks like you chose well....... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

He is AWESOME! Congratulations. I love my wife’s Dobie but I am a lab guy. I had to buy a new collar yesterday for Ruger, the old one was lab tested and did not pass.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

That is a really handsome guy! He will be a super alert watch dog. Will he live in a crate or outdoor spot, or will he be inside with you?
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Congratulations. That is a good looking pup you have there.

Best of luck getting through the puppy gnawing stage with a minimal amount of damage. :P

Wm
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Congratulations! Now that is one good lookin pup!
The sleep will take a hit for a while but it pays off! :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.