What is your go to firearm (long or side or both) for when things go bump in the night?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Re: What is your go to firearm (long or side or both) for when things go bump in the night?

Post by wm »

piller wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:28 pm
Old Savage wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:30 pm Think about this. Use your cheapest effective gun. Because, if you use it, the police are going to take it for evidence.
Why do you think I am using my Block? And enough flashlight to temporarily stun the optic nerves of a blind man.

You know I can seriously see the utility of using S&W SDVE or Taurus G2 PT111 "Millennium" for this sort of work. They are both solidly reliable firearms that just plain work but a easily sub $300 firearms. I know the SDVE I bought used off a co worker is glock like in terms of reliability, accuracy, with better ergonomics. And the sights are the same as a S&W M&P so upgrading to glow in the dark sights is easy.

My buddy bought one of the Taurus a couple months ago and he likewise has yet to find a flaw. Well it tended to have failure to feeds in the first 200 or so rounds but none since. A little break in I guess. Or a little cleaning and lube more likely.

In either case if they were gone tomorrow, never to return you would not get much more then a solid 'harrumph' out of either of us.

Wm.

P.S. Just curious …… if the police confiscate and then lose or damage your firearm, can you make a claim under your homeowners insurance? I may have to ask my agent next time I talk to him.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: What is your go to firearm (long or side or both) for when things go bump in the night?

Post by Sixgun »

You have to figure, having the right and dependable gun is of utmost importance......it's your life or the life of your loved ones...or anybody your protecting or who deserves not to be violated........that means no junk.
I'm not going to concern myself with saving $50 in order to buy a 10 cent Taurus instead of a quality Smith. You don't see the military or police arming themselves with Taurus, Jennings, Kel Tecs, Bersas, or other unproven junk, foreign or domestic. Money should not enter into the equation.

My lifetime experiences has shown that double action revolvers from Ruger, Smith, or Colt are undoubtedly the most dependable revolvers ever made. Semi autos from Smith, Ruger, Colt are also proven in my experiences. I hear and read Glocks, some models from Beretta, Sig, or H&K are also dependable. My vote for single actions goes to Ruger, first, and Colt second. Nothing from Brazil or Italy needs to be even talked about. For play and plinking, that's your choice. Even for play, I choose the big three..life is full of enough aggravation so when shooting I don't want any.

If I had to choose one manufacturer for each of the three kinds of handguns, it would be a Colt 1911 for the semi auto, loosely fitted like an 1911A1, a Ruger single action, old model as, for me, it's easier to find the loaded chamber and a Smith & Wesson for a double action. Ruger double actions are just as dependable as a Smith but they are just too bulky for me.

For shotguns Remington 870's are bullet proof..no pun intended. :D For a semi auto rifle, I've shot tens of thousands of rounds from Uzi's, my sole exception to foreign guns. Russian, not Chinese, SKS's run a close second.---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Six, the 9mm single stack polymer frame shootout by Guns & Ammo about 3 or 4 years ago showed that the Taurus PT709 could not be made to fail. They tried. Over 1,000 rounds on an out of the box gun without any cleaning or lubrication and a variety of bullet weights and manufacturers. All 10 brands of guns were done the same way. Only Taurus, Walther, and Block survived. If that is not reliable to you, then I would not suggest you drive a car made after 1945. They all have been known to break down.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Old Savage wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:30 pm Think about this. Use your cheapest effective gun. Because, if you use it, the police are going to take it for evidence.
I own nothing I consider cheap !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Six,
Yup.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

if something goes bump here it will probably only be 4 legged animals. I would probably unfold my chiappa 410ga/22Lr if needed which has a flashlight under the barrel. The 410 has a 5x000 buck load, no horde stopper, but no fun to get hit by either.