Let's Hear It for the Hurricanes! (RAF, WWII)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Let's Hear It for the Hurricanes! (RAF, WWII)

Post by Old No7 »

OK, I am guilty of several Spitfire-related posts and images on this site, but I just stumbled onto this awesome picture of a flight of RAF Hurricanes.

( Click on image to enlarge )
Hurricanes.jpg

While the Spitfire seems to get most of the credit and glory, there were actually more Hurricanes flown in The Battle of Britain than there were Spits, and with a higher number of kills too. While that may seem odd to some, here are some comments from a pilot who flew both:
"One thing most pilots agree on was that 'it was the pilot, not the plane' that determined the outcome of a dogfight. Technically, the Spitfire was a better plane, but the Hurricane was equally capable in the hands of the right pilot. I could blather on about effectiveness at altitudes, roll rates, stability as a gun platform, suitability for upgrade, etc., but at the end of the day, a good pilot in a marginal plane will win every time over a marginal pilot in a good plane."

I'll end with:

“Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Re: Let's Hear It for the Hurricanes! (RAF, WWII)

Post by claybob86 »

Great photo! Thanks for posting! :D
Have you hugged your rifle today?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The Sea Fury was quite the air frame too, still a few running at Reno air races .
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

They did a lot of the heavy lifting for sure.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Several Hurricane pilots were quite vociferous that their mounts should never be discounted. Roland Beamont comes to mind first. The early Hurricanes were quite remarkable beasts, derived from a biplane. These first jobs had cloth covered wings and fixed wood propellers. I doubt any of these were still in front line service by the start of the war, having been upgraded to metal wings and variable pitch props. As I recall, the 12 gun (.303's) version was known to buzzsaw off whole sections of an enemy bomber at times. As with the Wildcat, a bubble canopy would have improved the lines greatly.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

WW2 certainly had a lot of interesting aircraft, my dad was a fireman during the war and was issued booklets on all the allied planes regarding escape hatches etc, in case of forced landings, I enjoyed reading them as a kid wished I'd kept them too... :oops:
We also had identification charts of all German and allied planes, they would have made great posters for a man cave.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.