A ? for you phobia x-spurts ...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I am not a vegan or vegetarian by any means of the words, I love eating meats and fish.

But ..... in the last 10 or so years I've developed a total dislike to touching uncooked meat or fish. I don't understand it. If it's already ground or cut and all I have to do is drop it in the cooker I'm OK. But If I have to prep it myself, I'm gonna make a peanut butter and jelly sammich.

My wife thinks I'm playing with a short deck. Is there a name for this?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A ? for you phobia x-spurts ...

Post by marlinman93 »

Guess that means no hunting then? Be tough to find somebody to always do the field dressing. My niece's husband has the same similar thing. He would deer hunt with us, and if he shot a deer he just couldn't bring himself to dress it. I think we all dressed at least one and I did several. He finally quit because he got tired of the stuff we gave him for not dressing his own kill.

I believe it's called "carnophobia".
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

How about some food handlers gloves? The clear plastic ones you see people using in fast food restaurants, etc. Would those help you? That way you wouldn't be really touching the meat.

You wife has the correct scientific name for your affliction. :lol: :lol: :lol:
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I don't mind dressing out animals, I just hate the smell sometimes. Some recommend the gloves to avoid coming in contact with CWD. Personally, this year I was glad I wasn't wearing gloves. It was minus 15 when I got my elk and those innards kept my hands warm!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

J Miller wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:02 am A ? for you phobia x-spurts ...

I am not a vegan or vegetarian by any means of the words, I love eating meats and fish.

But ..... in the last 10 or so years I've developed a total dislike to touching uncooked meat or fish. I don't understand it. If it's already ground or cut and all I have to do is drop it in the cooker I'm OK. But If I have to prep it myself, I'm gonna make a peanut butter and jelly sammich.

Joe
Not that uncommon. My Mother (rip) had that problem. If someone fixed it, or at a resturant, she'd eat with pleasure. Mom's Doc told her it was just a function of growing older. :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

It maybe a form of germaphobia. We hear and read about this contaminated batch of chicken or that tainted lot of beef, etc. and it gets into your psyche about what could happen if I touch this piece of raw chicken? I'm sure there's a specific name for it, there's one for everything these days. That's where my Psy. degree takes me.

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Nothing wrong with You Joe...A lot of people who shop in a supermarket won't even touch the meat in the packages, they grab the clear food bags and with their hand in the bag pick up the package. We use plastic gloves all day long when cutting meat and change them all of the time. I bet if You got some of them You would be just fine handling meat. I think the older We get We tend to worry more and more about the boogie man in a lot of things. I know I do. Jim.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I am deathly afraid of having to eat canned spinach. What is the name for that?

:lol:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I guess I'm no help here. One of my favorite all time snacks is raw ground beef on rye bread topped with salt, pepper, and minced raw onions.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Popeyeophobia
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Bill wrote "I am deathly afraid of having to eat canned spinach. What is the name for that"... it's because of your age you have PSS....(Popeye spinach syndrome)
just knowing that every big ugly Guy will get a can of whoop butt from you, and then Olive Oil will never leave You alone again. don't fight it ........ :o :D .
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Thanks guys. I'll ask my wifie to get some of those gloves.

As for hunting I'd love to, but health, location and finances have put an end to that. :cry:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Sounds like an early manifestation of OCD, obsessive-compulsive disorder. If you've ever known anyone with OCD, it ain't funny. It can start out with one minor quirk and build in to full-out weirdness.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Popeyephobia almost made me hurt myself.

The first week we were married I came home to see my bride trying to make a meatloaf with two wooden spoons. She has gotten better but still cringes a little. Almost 45 years later.

Post by jnyork »

J Miller wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:52 am Thanks guys. I'll ask my wifie to get some of those gloves.

Joe
Joe, let us know how that turns out for you, might help someone else if it works.

'Bout cracked a rib laughing at "Popeyephobia". :lol:
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

J Miller wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:02 am A ? for you phobia x-spurts ...

Joe
Are you squeamish about blood? That is understandable, lots of people are.

I worked briefly as a plumbers gopher (go fer this, go fer that). And I found I was nauseated by the smell of sewage. I think I lost like 20lbs in the month I worked for him. And I constantly felt like I needed a shower. I suppose we all have those things that just don't sit right with us.

Wm

P.S. Ironically I'm spending the evening repairing a broken soil pipe in the basement. I've gagged off and on for the hour and am going to treat myself to a good vomit & get it over with once the job is done.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

WM,
Well the last time I was exposed to raw blood it didn't bother me. But then that was back in the early 80's when I got my javalina.

Recently I haven't had any bloody raw meat handy to be exposed to. I'll keep that in mind next time we get some. Usually when I cook, rarely, it's with ground meat or other already butcher prepped meats that have minimal blood.
Pisgah wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:31 pm Sounds like an early manifestation of OCD, obsessive-compulsive disorder. If you've ever known anyone with OCD, it ain't funny. It can start out with one minor quirk and build in to full-out weirdness.
That is a distinct possibility. I've noticed a little bit of that with other things.

Joe
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Smells get to me. I have found that I have to use a facemask to stop the Ralphing when I gut an animal. It started when I started having gallbladder issues. I don't know if the two are connected, but the less trouble with my gallbladder, the less smells affect me. I tried to get my gallbladder taken out, but the only Doctors around with openings were the quacks with degrees from Baylor. The good ones didn't have openings and the ones with degrees from Baylor wanted to treat my imaginary diabetes because they were taught that all men over 45 have diabetes, and a patient with a blood sugar of 85 was in denial, and an a1c under 7 was just faking it. Of course, the last Doctor I went to was unable to diagnose his own textbook symptoms of an appendicitis. He claimed that a 50 year old having one was too rare to be possible. He nearly killed himself. Baylor training.

Anyway, there may be something off such as a slightly enlarged liver, or an early stage peptic ulcer, or some such seemingly unrelated issue which is messing with you to makge you squeamish like that.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

My Dad started out not wanting to field dress game he killed, he just didn't want to do it any more.

He wanted to hunt but he wouldn't shoot. Then he lost his taste for game meat.

He finally got to where he wouldn't even kill bugs.

I believe he was just getting older and trying to come to grips with... Whatever.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

jkbrea wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:40 am I don't mind dressing out animals, I just hate the smell sometimes. Some recommend the gloves to avoid coming in contact with CWD. Personally, this year I was glad I wasn't wearing gloves. It was minus 15 when I got my elk and those innards kept my hands warm!
Keep in mind, if game has CWD, cooking has no effect on killing it whatsoever, so if one is wearing gloves to avoid contact, the meat would need to be tested and disposed of for the precautions to mean much.

Joe, Ive gotten a bit more finicky about how I handle food, partly after getting a rip roaring case of food poisoning when younger, partly from seeing how poorly many people handle uncooked food and utensils and the concept of cross contaminating cooked stuff with things that touched uncooked foods. I figure so long as it gets cooked decently, whatever bugs may be in it (other than CWD or mad cow) will be safe to eat. I just wash or expose to cooking heat everything that touched raw food before letting it touch the cooked food.

Getting older, yeah, sort of odd. Used to love hunting anything I could. Now, just dont enjoy killing stuff, though have no problem with making meat as needed or nuisance critters like rattlesnakes, skunks, or pack rats, or something that needs dealing with like road hit animals.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?